Smashbox foundation primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried the Smashbox foundation color correction primers? They come in three forumlas depending on your skin undertones. I was curious if you have used any one of the three, how you liked or didn't like it. Also, if you have blotchy skin w/ a pink undertone would you use the green primer or the lavender or the flesh color? And since we're on the subject of primers have any of you ever used the primer/mattifier combination product from Smashbox called Photo Finish? It's the only combo primer/mattifier I've been able to locate.

Great timing on your post.
smile.gif
I have never used a primer and am looking to purchase one. From reading reviews, etc. I am leaning towards the Photo Finish. It will be interesting to hear what the "experts" have to say.

Well I went ahead and ordered it from Sephora. Check back with me in a week or so and I'll let you know what I think. I am really surprised that there aren't more combination primers/mattifiers on the market. That is the only dual one I could find.

Originally Posted by Leadfoot Great timing on your post.
smile.gif
I have never used a primer and am looking to purchase one. From reading reviews, etc. I am leaning towards the Photo Finish. It will be interesting to hear what the "experts" have to say.

I did some reading on this too. I am thinking of getting the green corrector, because i have uneven tone, primarily areas that are pinkier than others, and also thinking of getting just the primer. But I saw on the website that there is a lip and lid primer that got a very nice review too......may have to throw that in as well. These would be my first smashbox items.

Originally Posted by southerngal Have any of you ever tried the Smashbox foundation color correction primers? They come in three forumlas depending on your skin undertones. I was curious if you have used any one of the three, how you liked or didn't like it. Also, if you have blotchy skin w/ a pink undertone would you use the green primer or the lavender or the flesh color? And since we're on the subject of primers have any of you ever used the primer/mattifier combination product from Smashbox called Photo Finish? It's the only combo primer/mattifier I've been able to locate.

Hey Kerri. Actually I ordered that lip primer in addition to the Photo Finish mattifier. I'll tell you this though. I went to Walgreen's (don't laugh) and purchased a lotion by Physicians Formula. It is a green color corrector. For the past two days I have first washed my face w/ my Biore cleanser, applied a mattifier (Sally Hansen skin mattifier) and on top of the mattifier, on the lower part of my face, the Physicians Formula correcting lotion. I have to admit, although this is more work, with all the blending (green is NOT a forgiving color when it's dripping down your neck), my foundation definitely looks more even. The ruddiness in my skin is not as prevalent, even at the end of a long 12-hour day in the heat and humidity. I have used green primers before that began to seep through after several hours. So far, the Lancome foundation that I use has stayed on without any hint of green showing through. If Physicians Formula works, I would imagine that the Smashbox corrector would also. If you want to e-mail me before you place your Smashbox order, please feel free. My order should be here any day now. I ordered some other items too but can't remember what. I am really looking forward to trying the Photo Finish and the lip primer.

Originally Posted by kerri I did some reading on this too. I am thinking of getting the green corrector, because i have uneven tone, primarily areas that are pinkier than others, and also thinking of getting just the primer. But I saw on the website that there is a lip and lid primer that got a very nice review too......may have to throw that in as well. These would be my first smashbox items.

Okay, my Smashbox order arrived from Sephora last night, and so far, the Photo Finish foundation primer is doing well. I wore it last night for the first time and no issues. Initially I was concerned because it has a very oily texture, similar to Paula Dorf's primer, only without the little wax balls that accumulate on the surface of your skin. Once you apply the Photo Finish though, it doesn't feel oily. It does now however seem as harsh as a true mattifier. The true test will be at the end of the day today ... will be an oil slick? I can say that it is easier to apply my green color corrector over the Photo Finish than it is the Sally Hansen mattifier. I'll let you all know how my makeup holds up today.

Originally Posted by southerngal Hey Kerri. Actually I ordered that lip primer in addition to the Photo Finish mattifier. I'll tell you this though. I went to Walgreen's (don't laugh) and purchased a lotion by Physicians Formula. It is a green color corrector. For the past two days I have first washed my face w/ my Biore cleanser, applied a mattifier (Sally Hansen skin mattifier) and on top of the mattifier, on the lower part of my face, the Physicians Formula correcting lotion. I have to admit, although this is more work, with all the blending (green is NOT a forgiving color when it's dripping down your neck), my foundation definitely looks more even. The ruddiness in my skin is not as prevalent, even at the end of a long 12-hour day in the heat and humidity. I have used green primers before that began to seep through after several hours. So far, the Lancome foundation that I use has stayed on without any hint of green showing through. If Physicians Formula works, I would imagine that the Smashbox corrector would also. If you want to e-mail me before you place your Smashbox order, please feel free. My order should be here any day now. I ordered some other items too but can't remember what. I am really looking forward to trying the Photo Finish and the lip primer.

So southerngal........do you think it is worth the money? Do you think it was a good purchase?

Yes, I do think it was worth the money, at least so far. I was a bit shocked at the size of the bottle. I had envisioned this "Vaseline-Intensive-Care-jumbo size" container and it's a tiny little bottle with a pump, probably not more that two inches high. I have no clue how long it will last me. I liked it better once I realized that even though it felt really greasy to the touch, it did not go on the face that way. I also liked it because it allowed me to apply and blend a Physicans Formula green corrector lotion on top of it without green streaks and clumps. I have been using a mattifier I bought at Wal-Mart by Cornsilk Sally Hansen. That goes on extremely "dry". I do like the way that the Cornsilk feels because being an oily-skin-old-timer, I've become accustomed to more harsh, acne-type products. I guess the best way to describe the Photo Finish is to say that it goes on "silky", not necessarily oily. Now the Paula Dorf primer I bought last month was truly oily and waxy to boot. And you know what? If a product is advertised in a certain way and it fails to perform, I have decided that I will no longer just keep it and stockpile it in a drawer - it's going back and I want a refund and I don't care where it was purchased. I'll tell you what I am "iffy" on and that's the Smashbox Lip/Eye corrector/primer combo. The lip primer seems to just show every lip crack or flaw and also seems to lighten the actual color of my lipstick. I don't really see the benefit of that. I think just any old corrector would work equally well if you're looking for a lip foundation. I do LOVE the Smashbox lip exfoliator scrub. It's great. When I had my facial done at Sephora she used that and it really helped my cracked lips. That came in yesterday too and it is wonderful. I think the lip primer is going back along w/ the Paula Dorf primer though.

It's 1 p.m. my time and I have to admit the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer does not really have any mattifying properties. I am pretty oily and I have not been out of the office yet today. Tomorrow I think I will apply the Sally Hansen mattifier first and then the Photo Finish and see what happens. I wish someone could really come up with a true mattifier/primer combination.

Originally Posted by southerngal Yes, I do think it was worth the money, at least so far. I was a bit shocked at the size of the bottle. I had envisioned this "Vaseline-Intensive-Care-jumbo size" container and it's a tiny little bottle with a pump, probably not more that two inches high. I have no clue how long it will last me. I liked it better once I realized that even though it felt really greasy to the touch, it did not go on the face that way. I also liked it because it allowed me to apply and blend a Physicans Formula green corrector lotion on top of it without green streaks and clumps. I have been using a mattifier I bought at Wal-Mart by Cornsilk Sally Hansen. That goes on extremely "dry". I do like the way that the Cornsilk feels because being an oily-skin-old-timer, I've become accustomed to more harsh, acne-type products. I guess the best way to describe the Photo Finish is to say that it goes on "silky", not necessarily oily. Now the Paula Dorf primer I bought last month was truly oily and waxy to boot. And you know what? If a product is advertised in a certain way and it fails to perform, I have decided that I will no longer just keep it and stockpile it in a drawer - it's going back and I want a refund and I don't care where it was purchased. I'll tell you what I am "iffy" on and that's the Smashbox Lip/Eye corrector/primer combo. The lip primer seems to just show every lip crack or flaw and also seems to lighten the actual color of my lipstick. I don't really see the benefit of that. I think just any old corrector would work equally well if you're looking for a lip foundation. I do LOVE the Smashbox lip exfoliator scrub. It's great. When I had my facial done at Sephora she used that and it really helped my cracked lips. That came in yesterday too and it is wonderful. I think the lip primer is going back along w/ the Paula Dorf primer though.

The jury is still out on the Smashbox Photo Finish primer. At first I liked it. By 2 p.m. yesterday, my skin felt terribly oily. It didn't look all that oily, but it felt yucky. Today I wore a mattifier under the Photo Finish. We'll see what happens. If I am still not happy, it goes back to Sephora.

Originally Posted by southerngal Have any of you ever tried the Smashbox foundation color correction primers? They come in three forumlas depending on your skin undertones. I was curious if you have used any one of the three, how you liked or didn't like it. Also, if you have blotchy skin w/ a pink undertone would you use the green primer or the lavender or the flesh color? And since we're on the subject of primers have any of you ever used the primer/mattifier combination product from Smashbox called Photo Finish? It's the only combo primer/mattifier I've been able to locate.

I purchased Smashbox Photo Finish primer earlier this week. I moisturize, then apply it and let in sit for 5 minutes or so before applying foundation. My foundation application is definitely much smoother. My makeup *appears* to be lasting longer as well. I really need to do an experiment and do one side with the primer and one side without and see if there really is a difference, since I honestly haven't really been paying that great of attention. Anyway, no breakouts or increased oilyness from it so far.

Hi Leadfoot. What was your motivation for buying the Photo Finish? Do you have normal to oily skin or dreadfully oily skin? I would be on the dreadful end of the oil spectrum. Do you have pigment issues or did you just want something to smooth out your foundation? Also, what kind of foundation are you using on top of it? I think tomorrow, since it's Saturday, I'll take your advice and put primer on one side and mattifier on the other and see what happens. That will be an interesting experiment. Let me know what you think if you try that. I know Sephora is going to get tired of me returning products but hopefully I am going to settle on a routine here soon.

Originally Posted by Leadfoot I purchased Smashbox Photo Finish primer earlier this week. I moisturize, then apply it and let in sit for 5 minutes or so before applying foundation. My foundation application is definitely much smoother. My makeup *appears* to be lasting longer as well. I really need to do an experiment and do one side with the primer and one side without and see if there really is a difference, since I honestly haven't really been paying that great of attention. Anyway, no breakouts or increased oilyness from it so far.

Originally Posted by southerngal Hi Leadfoot. What was your motivation for buying the Photo Finish? Do you have normal to oily skin or dreadfully oily skin? I would be on the dreadful end of the oil spectrum. Do you have pigment issues or did you just want something to smooth out your foundation? Also, what kind of foundation are you using on top of it? My makeup wasn't lasting all day, so that's one of the reasons I purchased it. I'm using Clinique's Superbalanced foundation. I'm not really fond of the foundation. That's the other reason I bought the primer - I want to switch to Dermablend's Foundation for the excellent coverage. I've read it cakes pretty bad though, so I figured with a good moisturizer and primer under it I could hopefully solve that problem.

Originally Posted by southerngal I think tomorrow, since it's Saturday, I'll take your advice and put primer on one side and mattifier on the other and see what happens. That will be an interesting experiment. Let me know what you think if you try that. I know Sephora is going to get tired of me returning products but hopefully I am going to settle on a routine here soon. Cool - I was thinking of doing the same thing over the weekend
smile.gif
(since I don't work I don't care as much about how I look) . I'll report back next week.
EDIT: Forgot to add (since you asked) my skin is normal/dry.

Latest posts

Back