So bummed out..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm so bummed out at the mo because my skin keeps on getting breakouts. I always get one or two at "that time of the month" but the past few months i've had constant zitz, pimples, spots (whatever you'd prefer to call them) on my chin, inbetween my eyebrows & even on my cheeks... My boyfriend is convinced its my make-up but i dont' know because i use oil free foundations & haven't been using my full coverage foundation for the past few 5 weeks just in case. I don't know if i'm allergic to a certain ingredient or what. Can anyone help me out?

i totally feel you. i broke out a lot last 2 weeks. they're starting to go away, but i still have dark spots from them. they were mostly on my right cheek.

maybe change your pillow case to help. since your hair gets dirty or oily, it gets on your pillowcase. then you lie on your side and your face is laying on the pillowcase.

try not to over wash though cause that can irritate it more sometimes.

is the mario badescu not working for you? i got the healing powder which seems to help. at least i tell myself it does. lol.

I swear by my Differin gel... but if you can find "PersaGel" by Clean & Clear, that's a good alternative to the perscription one. It's not as strong, but then again, it's great for spot treating....
icon_wink.gif

Hey don't feel bad. I still get breakouts even at my age. I got a doozy right now on my chin. What I try to do is clean my phone at home and at work with alcohol wipes, wash my pillow cases more often and then after I wash my face at night I admit I usually end up popping or picking the sucker. I guess the right thing to do is put some drying ointment on it. I dab that Queen Helene Mint stuff on zits. I heard an old wives tale that dabbing toothpaste on a zit will dry it up too.

Have you been using any new makeup or facial products (cleansers, etc)? You could be allergic to anything, and if you like to try lots of new products it will be really hard to narrow it down. (Whereas I wear the same foundation, powder, concealor, and acne medications every day -- and when I try something new, it's only one new product, so it's easy to see if I have a reaction.) Also keep in mind that some oil-free products can still contain ingredients that can clog your pores; products labeled "noncomedogenic" or "nonacnegenic" will be even less likely to clog pores -- if you do have clogged pores or acne as opposed to an allergic reaction. Also remember that stress can cause acne, I tend to break out during exams week! lol

If it doesn't go away you can always see a dermatologist, and he could probably tell you at least whether it's acne or a reaction and some tips to help get rid of it. (When I was in high school, my brother and I went to the dermatologist together and he looked at us each for about 60 seconds and said I had oily skin and clogged pores, while my brother had "true" acne, and he gave us each different medications and prescriptions!)

I've collected a lot of tips from my dermatologist about things to do if it really is acne or clogged pores caused by oily skin:

• Changing pillowcases at least weekly as lizzy mentioned, and also changing your washcloths and face towels at least every other day.
  • Many shampoos can clog your pores, since it's easy to get shampoo on your face in the shower. My dermatologist gave me a list of "safe" shampoos, the only ones I remember are Herbal Essence and Prell.
  • All conditioners have pore-clogging oils, so only use conditioner on the ends of your hair so it won't get on your face (this helps prevent your hair from getting weighted down too
    wink.gif
    )
  • If you have really oily skin you don't need to moisturize it (I know some disagree but some dermatologists say no moisturizing), and if you do moisturize make sure it's a noncomedogenic moisturizer like Cetaphil.
  • While eating certain foods has not been proven to cause acne, if you eat greasy food and then touch your face with greasy fingers that can clog pores. My dermatologist recommended washing my face after every time I ate greasy or fried foods (like I'm going to wash my face and redo my makeup after lunch....)
  • Exfoliation can help prevent clogged pores. My dermatologist recommended using Cetaphil bar soap (or Dove if you want something more moisturizing) with a Buf Puf brand sponge to cleanse and exfoliate at once.
I know Janelle mentioned prescription Differin gel; that worked ok for me but after using it for a year or so my dermatologist switched medications. I was using Clindagel in the morning and Tazorac at night and it was working really well.... but now I've been using OTC products to save money but I haven't found any that work as good so I may break down and go back to the prescriptions. Right now I'm still using the Cetaphil soap and sponge at night, plus Biore Shine Control Foaming Cleanser in the morning (doesn't seem to help the shine so I probably won't repurchase), Stridex Maximum Strength twice a day (2% salicyclic acid, a common acne medication), and I just started using Neutrogenia Spot Treatment at night which contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide -- most creams contain 10% benzoyl peroxide but that can dry and irritate your skin, while the 2.5% seems to heal the acne without drying my skin, I've noticed quite a difference after only 2 weeks! (And pores clog 2-3 weeks before you see the acne so it usually takes a while to notice a difference with a new product!)
Anyways that's about all I know on the matter, hopefully it will get better soon or a doctor can tell you what's going on!

Thanks! I went to the dermatologist for about 7 or 8 years (probably should still be going
wink.gif
) and I've read up on acne so I figured I might well share what I've learned! Now if I can just magically make my face produce less oil! lol

Originally Posted by Laura I'm so bummed out at the mo because my skin keeps on getting breakouts. I always get one or two at "that time of the month" but the past few months i've had constant zitz, pimples, spots (whatever you'd prefer to call them) on my chin, inbetween my eyebrows & even on my cheeks... My boyfriend is convinced its my make-up but i dont' know because i use oil free foundations & haven't been using my full coverage foundation for the past few 5 weeks just in case. I don't know if i'm allergic to a certain ingredient or what. Can anyone help me out? If you think it may be the makeup?...lay off of it over the weekends...give the skin a chance to breath & thru out the day - take care of it with touch ups of anti-acne products.....so be a shut-in for the weekend, & see how it goes...its always good just to chill out both mentally & physically
wink.gif

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear about your skin troubles. Did you know that your face is like a map relating to different parts of the body? You mentioned you had breakouts on your chin and cheeks.This is normally associated with hormones but the area between your eyebrows relates to the liver. Congestion in this area can indicate an over comnsuption of alchol or rich foods.Mabe even a food allergy (such as lactose intolorance). The cheeks often give an accurate glimpse of any respitory distress.Smokers or people suffering any allergies often experience broken fine cappilaries or congestion in this area. As for your chin premenstral breakouts appear here and can be triggered by extreme stress.

I hope this helps.It might be worth getting some allergy tests done.

Originally Posted by Pauline Hi Laura,Sorry to hear about your skin troubles. Did you know that your face is like a map relating to different parts of the body? You mentioned you had breakouts on your chin and cheeks.This is normally associated with hormones but the area between your eyebrows relates to the liver. Congestion in this area can indicate an over comnsuption of alchol or rich foods.Mabe even a food allergy (such as lactose intolorance). The cheeks often give an accurate glimpse of any respitory distress.Smokers or people suffering any allergies often experience broken fine cappilaries or congestion in this area. As for your chin premenstral breakouts appear here and can be triggered by extreme stress.

I hope this helps.It might be worth getting some allergy tests done.

Great info! Very interesting!! Welcome back Chickie, missed ya
wink.gif

Thanks a million for all the advice girls, read some very interesting points there. I'm gonna try everything that has been mentioned coz this is really pi$$in me off. Welcome back Pauline, I hope you're keeping well

Thanks Laura! Its nice to see you againtoo. I am keeping a lot better, thanks to the continued support of MuT and it's lovely caring member's (like NYAngel, Marie-Line, Harleymom,Naturally and of course Reija and you to Laura).Also i am lucky to have Tony give me a lot of business advice and support, which has been a big helping hand. I am feeling a lot better these days and now have something positive to focus on. The power of MuT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you manage to get some advice regarding your skin. The skin is a living organ and anything going on in the inside can show on the outside. I would recomend you to try and get some allergy testing done (Boots & most chemists sell DIY home kits).It might be worth speaking to your Doctor to rule out hormonal problems.Hopefully this will pass quickly. If you can try not to wear any cosmetics for at least a week to see if it clears up.Try drinking lots of water to try and flush whatever it is out.I know it sounds silly, but have you been stressed latley? Stress releases androgens which causes more spots.Good Luck and i hope this clears up soon.

xXx

I keep saying to myself i'll go a week without make up but then i wake up to find yet another spot and i get scared and apply make up over it (which i know is bad). I've changed my contraceptive pill 3 weeks ago as i thought it was maybe my last pill affecting my skin but there's still no change now. I'm so happy to hear you're doing much better. Hope you can find time to post more often now
smile.gif

Any opinions on Olay skincare products? I've heard only good things about the complete care moisturiser and now that my skin is ibad condition i'm thinking i might stop using every skincare product i have and start new on Olay's cleansers & moisturisers.. What do ye think? I've never been extremely happy with my skincare products anyway, i've been trying new products all the time but i just want to stop all that now..

Thanks Laura, I get 'spots' every month in pretty much the same area every time and since i have oily skin i have to control it with products like neat t-tree oil.What type of skin do you have generally? It could be hormonal or it could be your skin is changing. Is is just 'spots'? If there is any dryness, redness or irritation it could be an allergy. If the spots are 'infected' it could be toxins/blocked pores. Have you noticed other changes in your skin?

Generally i have combination skin that can be oilier than usual at times. I almost always have 1 or 2 spots at "that time of the month". These are real sore things. And they're really red after i squeeze them. I exfoliate 3 times a week & i've just started using Epidemix Microdermabrasion in the past week (thanks kim!). At first (6 weeks ago) i thought that it was happening because i was getting all the bad stuff out of my skin but its been continuous since then & a new one keeps poppingup every few days. Pauline you really know your stuff, thanks for the help

Hi Laura, i also have Epidermix!!! Great minds think alike...lol

I think we have very similar skin types because the only reason i know about this is becuase i have always had 'bad skin'. It was worse a while back and its cleared up immensly. I know what those horrible nasty spots are like and they are not nice and i understand why you feel you need to cover them. I like using Elizabeth Arden flawless finish makeup when my skin is bad. I am hoping that your skin will clear up after a few MD treatments but if not it is definatley worth seeing your Dr, as you could have an allergy to something or it could be your hormones. I have been using the t tree soap (from Kim) and it works like a dream. Another thing you might like to try is from Australian Body Care, it's quite pricey but may be worth a try. Its called ABC Ketsugo Gel. It can be purchased from QVC. I use their neat t-tree oil on the bad spots.If it's any comfort to you Laura, know that your skin will look great when your older and you will have few wrinkles, thats the advantage of oily skin....it keeps us young looking! That's true!
smile.gif

Laura I highly recommend Philosophy's Acne Kit if you're able to get it in your country. It's not harsh at all and it cleared up my skin within 3-4 weeks. I'll never use anything else. I also buy Philosophy's Purity Made Simple Cleanser. Here's my regimen in case you decide to try it:

Morning:

1. Wash makeup-free face with On A Clear Day Super Wash (from Acne Kit)

2. Before makeup, apply On A Clear Day Blemish Serum (from Acne Kit) to entire face (requires only a small amount). Then apply On A Clear Day Protection Cream (from Acne Kit) and wait 2 min. before applying makeup.

Night:

1. Cleanse entire face (including eyelids & lashes) with Purity Made Simple cleanser (not included in Acne Kit).

2. Apply On A Clear Day H2O2 treatment. This treatment uses hydrogen peroxide rather than benzoyl peroxide for fighting infectious bacteria.

I decided to try Philosophy because of all the nightmare stories I'd heard about how drying Proactiv can be. None of the Philosophy products have dried me out. In fact, they make my skin feel soothed and nourished.

Hope you consider this!

Latest posts

Back