So, I've been thinking...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've finished my Bachelor degree, and am still in debate over getting my Masters degree. However, I've always wanted to be a teacher. I love being able to help others with their math assignments, and it's always great to help out and stay on top of my education (so to speak).

Now, when I say teacher, I'm pretty specific about it. I'd LOVE to be a math teacher at a level in which I'd teach Pre-Algebra or Algebra. However, I REALLY don't feel like dealing with students at that age. At least not with some of the schools we have in this area. At the same time, sometimes I think maybe starting with a younger age group would be better, and then work my way up.

I'd like to get opinions on what you think would be the best route to go... Go for my Masters and forget about teaching, go for my teaching certification, or just keep on truckin' on as is. I can make a lot more money I'm sure with the degree I have over teaching, but for me, I'd rather appreciate my job and like it than make money doing something I'm not feeling is rewarding.

I'd prolly get the masters and then teach. You get paid more and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it.

My sister did that, she has a masters of teaching degree, and now teaches full time. She's primary and so she doesn't have that whole student thing the same way high school teachers do.. in Australia you don't really get to choose your classes, so I'm not sure what I would suggest. Maybe start younger and work up. Then, you'd be moving with the students as well, so they'd know you when they were older and be less of a hassle?

Just my thoughts. Good luck, masters is hard work and so is a bachelor! I think you'd make a great teacher
smile.gif

way to go brainiac!! that is terrific!

i agree about getting your masters. i think it can only help you in the long run.

you could teach at a community college for those math levels. i could use help in the algebra area myself actually! or go with a younger 'gifted' class who are really interested in learning those studies.

i am so proud of you luv! xoxo

Awww, thanks Rosie! Yeah, I'm still in debate on the Masters. I'm not too sure how easy it would be to attempt at it in a different degree that I've been used to going after. I mean, without the Masters I can still get my teaching certification, and though it would be dumb NOT to use it from the get-go, I'd at least have it... Although, I'd have to check into how long it's valid and whatnot if you don't go for a job as a teacher right away.

There's a lot of things I always wanted to be growing up, and a teacher is one of them. I could always just offer my services as a tutor and do whatever it takes that way. Then, I'm still maintaining a job in the field my degree is in, and I'm doing something I want to do.

Sheesh! Can you tell I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up?! LOL!

Originally Posted by karrieann /img/forum/go_quote.gif way to go brainiac!! that is terrific!
i agree about getting your masters. i think it can only help you in the long run.

you could teach at a community college for those math levels. i could use help in the algebra area myself actually! or go with a younger 'gifted' class who are really interested in learning those studies.

i am so proud of you luv! xoxo

Thanks Karrie! Damned I'm so glad you're back! I never would've thought about a community college, and maybe it's because I feel I'd be as "young as my students" if I did. I do like the idea of working with "gifted" students though (I assume you mean academically gifted brainy kids like I was LOL).
I just love being able to help others, and it makes me feel good to know I was able to help someone out when they needed it. Hit me up if you need help LOL!

haha!! yes that is what i meant when i said gifted...lol!

now as for the community college, you would probably be younger than many of your students!! many CC students are working adults going back to school. you would probably be teaching people older than me!! ~get out~

i am sure what ever you decide will be great. but do encourage you to think about the masters direction. maybe you could talk with teachers who have been doing it for awhile and get some advise. i'm just worried that there could be a burn out factor...and that degree might come in handy down the road.

Originally Posted by karrieann /img/forum/go_quote.gif haha!! yes that is what i meant when i said gifted...lol!
now as for the community college, you would probably be younger than many of your students!! many CC students are working adults going back to school. you would probably be teaching people older than me!! ~get out~

i am sure what ever you decide will be great. but do encourage you to think about the masters direction. maybe you could talk with teachers who have been doing it for awhile and get some advise. i'm just worried that there could be a burn out factor...and that degree might come in handy down the road.

Yeah, the burn out is what bothers me. I was starting on my Masters about 2-3 months after I got my Bachelors. But, I realized I'd already met the one goal I really have for myself ATM. I've decided to hold off simply so I don't burn myself out, and see if it truly will make a difference for me in pay since salary "wizards" aren't showing it will. It's not something I've totally opted not to do, but it's not high on my list right now... At least not until I truly know what I want to do and if it'll make a real difference in my pay.
Also, part of me wants to hold out on a Masters until I'm in with a company that it'll make a difference with. Then, if it's required and they're willing to pay, it makes it even better and saves me more money in the end LOL!

If I can offer contrary advice here--getting your masters will make you more expensive, but you're still a first year teacher. Getting that degree before you get established can price you out of a lot of jobs. Its usually considered safer to start teaching and then get the masters. Besides, some really good districts will pay at least part of your tuition to get the advanced degree.

sounds like you've got some good advice there!

I know exactly how you feel about burn out and the masters - I graduate june next year, and then I could go straight into masters, but I'm also worried I'll burn out - I've just had enough - I've been there for 4.5 years and I'm not sure I can cope with another 3 semesters after that.

So yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat and I really know how you feel! arg! LOL

I think that you would be an excellent teacher but I also feel that you would make an exceptional Registered Nurse.

Awww, Teonaka, I almost cried there! Thanks so much! You're more than likely right about middle schoolers too, and I think as long as I'm not in a school district where I have to worry about a lot of violence (we have quite a few here), then I'll be okay.

Rosie, it is hard, and it almost felt like I would've had to push myself too much if I jumped into my Masters right away. I didn't like that feeling, especially since I feared I wouldn't do well since a part of me would be in "resistance" to even bothering overall.

Angela, I'd love to be a nurse (and my mom's said I have wonderful bedside manner), but I have a bad back which prevents me from even wanting to go in that direction. Again too, I'd have a preference, and that would be to be a nurse in a pediatric clinic. So, I've long left the thought of being a nurse
frown.gif

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I say teach and get master's at the same time. I have a friend that went through a teaching program, I believe its called Teach for America. In that program, you teach an inner-city schools and at the same time you can get your Masters Degree and they will pay for it!!
Just a thought!
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I've heard about that program. I'm still undecided about what to do LOL!
Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have no advice....when I read the word Algebra....my brain shut down. LOL! I don't blame you, but for some reason, I draws me in! It's a sickness!

In California, you can become a sub teacher with a bachelor's and a clean background check for $175/day. i have a lot of friends that do it as in betweeen jobs. it's also a great way to see how you work with different age groups! if this is not an option for your public schools, always try private and charter schools, where the same rules do not apply.

You'd make a great teacher, Aquilah!
smile.gif

High five for math teachers! YE-AH! lol!
five.gif

I don't know about NY, but in FL, Math teachers are the biggest need short of Special Ed teachers. No one wants to teach it, so we're pretty much guaranteed a job once we graduate! lol!

Latest posts

Back