So long, fine lines! (Anti-Aging Eye Creams)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a bad article, but I wish some of their eye cream recs were a bit more reasonably priced!

So Long, Fine Lines!

A new generation of eye creams may be the secret to fighting wrinkles, bags, shadows, and more.

Not long ago, a sack of frozen peas and some sliced cucumbers did almost as much good as eye creams when it came to treating fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles. "Past formulations contained mainly moisturizing ingredients, so they did no more for you than a basic cream--but at quadruple the cost," says Patricia Farris, MD, a dermatologist in Metairie, LA. But that's changing. The latest buzz: new, just-as-pricey anti-aging eye cream products with a slew of promising ingredients. Whether you want to repair or prevent signs of aging around your eyes, here's what you need to know about anti-aging eye cream.

The Problem: Crow's-Feet

To repair: Researchers have found that amino acids called hexapeptides can block the nerve signals that cause muscles to contract. "They work on the same principle as Botox," says Susan Weinkle, MD, an assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the University of South Florida.

The idea: When applied, the ingredients in this anti-aging eye cream subtly inhibit muscle movements to soften wrinkles and prevent new ones from forming. Although eye creams can't penetrate as deeply as Botox, early results are encouraging: In a University of Valencia, Spain, study, researchers found that the depth of participants' eye wrinkles decreased by 30% after 1 month of using eye cream.

Try: Freeze 24-7 Anti-Aging Eye Serum ($105; www.freeze247.com) or Derma?doctor Immobile Lines ($85; www.dermadoctor.com).

To prevent: Idebenone, a smaller version of coenzyme Q10, has emerged as one of anti-aging skin care's most powerful antioxidants, gobbling up cell-damaging free radicals to keep wrinkles from forming. In a study in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, idebenone outperformed five other antioxidants, including kinetin and lipoic acid. Translation: "It helps prevent future wrinkling," says Leslie Baumann, MD, a professor of dermatology at the University of Miami and author of The Skin Type Solution.

Try: True Anti-Aging I-Lift Eye Contour Concentrate ($75; www.truecosmetics.com) and Prevage Eye Anti-Aging Moisturizing Treatment ($95; Saks Fifth Avenue).

The Problem: Puffiness

To repair: Proteins like eyeseryl tetrapeptide are promising: "Peptides stimulate collagen production," says Diane Berson, MD, a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at Cornell Medical College. Researchers suspect this boost in skin firmness may force fluids out from under eyes.

Try: Kinerase Under Eye Rescue Cream ($75; Sephora).

To prevent: All eyes are on new combinations of soothing and stimulating ingredients. In a study of 41 women conducted by the skin care brand Vichy, an eye cream containing escinine (a botanical with anti-inflammatory properties) and manganese (a mineral that increases circulation) reduced the appearance of undereye bags by 25%.

Try: Vichy Oligo 25 Eyes Anti-Fatigue Cooling Effect Stick ($18; drugstores).

The Problem: Dark circles

To repair: Scientists are targeting raccoon eyes with high-tech toning and tightening ingredients like Haloxyl and NouriCel-MD. They appear to work in a new way: preventing stray blood cells from leaking out of under-eye vessels, potentially causing that bruised look. "I think leakage from capillaries plays a role, but it's not proven," says Baumann.

Try: SkinMedica TNS Illuminating Eye Cream, with NouriCel-MD ($70; www.skinmedica.com), and Hylexin, with hesperidin methyl chalcone, which decreases capillary leakage ($95; Macy's).

To prevent: Retinol, a vitamin A derivative, can mask circles by "thickening the thin skin under the eyes, making it look less transparent," says Farris. Some anti-aging eye cream products contain retinol combined with vitamin K, which helps bruises heal faster.

Try: Jan Marini Factor-A Eyes for Dark Circles ($75; 800-347-2223).

Source

They are expensive and If I thought some of them would work I would try them. I spent a lot of money on an eye cream that was supposed to decrease the dark circles I have which are unfortunately genetic. I used it religiously and saw no difference. I think the Olay I was using did just as good of a job and cost me a hell of a lot less. My favorite face Lotion is still Clinique Dramatically Different gel for combo skin. It's not that expensive and a tube lasts a long time so It's not always the most expensive things that work. As long as there are women with things they don't like about themselves, companies will make millions selling their miracle cures to us.

I agree, these are just too expensive. I stick with drugstore brands. I try to look for the ones that contain retinol.

I just ordered Avon's anew clinical eye lift cream so we'll see how that goes.... i got it for only $12 on amazon and i think it sells for $28 or so at avon, so it would be nice to find something inexpensive that worked!

talking about hylexin, i saw a few weeks ago sephora (the french website) was selling it with a discount. but still, the price was so high i wonder who can cough up so much money for it. my current eyecream is from nivea and didn't cost me much, and i guess it works just as good as a more expensive one.

I have very puffy eyes. I do not understand why?? My mom does not have it. They just started puffing up. I do not know what to do for them?? any ideas??

Try using a cold compress. If that doesn't work there are lots of eye gels out there for reducing puffiness.

Latest posts

Back