So many ingrown hairs! Grrr!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love epilating because it's so much more convenient and long lasting compared to shaving, but it results in so many ingrown hairs that I've had to temporarily stop doing it.  I had so many in my underarms that it would hurt to move my arms at times, and I can't wear shorts right now because of all the bumps/marks.  I have a cactus cloth exfoliator mitt that I use in the shower every day, but it doesn't seem to do much.  Any tips or products that I could use to keep the ingrowns from happening?  I don't want to go back to shaving!

Originally Posted by jordanna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love epilating because it's so much more convenient and long lasting compared to shaving, but it results in so many ingrown hairs that I've had to temporarily stop doing it.  I had so many in my underarms that it would hurt to move my arms at times, and I can't wear shorts right now because of all the bumps/marks.  I have a cactus cloth exfoliator mitt that I use in the shower every day, but it doesn't seem to do much.  Any tips or products that I could use to keep the ingrowns from happening?  I don't want to go back to shaving!
I get really bad ingrown hairs/bumps/irritation when I shave my armpits. I've found that if I use an exfoliating body wash (I use Glytone, it has 8.8% glycolic acid) after I shave (since I don't epilate) with one of those bath poufs, and then follow up with my deo (which has a TON of moisturizer in it) I don't get the bumps anymore. I'm not sure how the order changes if you are epilating... but try the Dove Ultimate Go Sleeveless deodorant. It's the only one that has really helped me get rid of the bumps. I think because it's meant to encourage you to show off your pits, it's made with lots of moisturizers and stuff.

Hopefully some of this will help! Also, if you can spend the $$, wax your armpits or do laser hair... it takes a lot longer to regrow.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I hadn't heard of that stuff so I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at the store.  Hopefully I'll come across a lotion or something for my legs that will soften the skin enough to help with the ingrowns! (is "ingrowns" a word?? lol)

Originally Posted by jordanna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the recommendation!  I hadn't heard of that stuff so I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at the store.  Hopefully I'll come across a lotion or something for my legs that will soften the skin enough to help with the ingrowns! (is "ingrowns" a word?? lol)
You're very welcome! Also, check the Shobha website. They're a hair removal service in NYC and they make amazing anti-ingrown stuff! I've been using them for my eyebrows for about 10 years now and they're the freaking BEST!

Back