Soak Off Gel

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had seen a video awhile back on youtube where someone had done Shellac at home and it really got me wanting to do it myself. So I finally got everything I needed and did it myself.

The initial cost is expensive, but if you think about how many manicures you'd get at the salon for the price of everything you need it's more worth it.

I spent probably $40-$50 total on everything I needed. In the salon that would get me two gel manicures and with everything I need, I can do like 30 or more.

I just tried it and I really like it. The first time is very tricky because you have to learn to not get the polish on your cuticle/below the nail and on the sides of your fingers close to the nail because it can cause the gel to start lifting in a few days and it doesn't feel that great. it feels like the skin is sealed to your nail. I'm used to using regular polish and cleaning up the edges after or letting them flake off in the shower/when I wash my hands.

I bought the travel light because I didn't want to invest in a $40 light unless I knew for sure I liked this product and I wish I had gotten a better light. The better lights actually cure all 5 fingers and the travel lights cure everything but your thumb. The better lights also cure everything in 30-45 seconds where as with the travel light it's 1-3 minutes. So with the polish I had, I needed to do two coats. So it was 3 minutes each coat and since I have to do thumbs separately it was more time. So 24 minutes total on my hands and then 1 for the base and 2 for the top coat.

Do any of you do your own gel manicures?

Lol i really enjoyed reading that. No, I don't but have seriously been thinking about investing in a starter set. What brand are you using?

Originally Posted by Scawolita /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol i really enjoyed reading that. No, I don't but have seriously been thinking about investing in a starter set. What brand are you using?
Haha I didn't realize how long it was until just now. I've been using gelish which I got partly on amazon and partly on ebay. I paid around $12 for each full sized bottle[just for reference if you go to buy it] and I got an Red Carpet Manicure light off amazon for around $20. But it runs on batteries or a cord you can buy. I had a cord that went to a set of ipod speakers that fit perfectly so I don't need to use batteries.

Red Carpet Manicure is sold in Ulta and I've heard it works great. I opted for gelish because I figured I could get them for a good price online. But you can use the RCM colors with the gelish base and top coat and vice versa for the RCM.

I didn't buy the cleanser or remover because I read on a forum that you don't need them. You can use rubbing alcohol for the cleanser/to remove the tackiness after your done with your whole manicure and then 100% pure acetone to remove your gel polish.

These two threads on the purseblog forum helped alot: http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/gelish-soak-off-gel-polish-mkii-698163.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/soak-off-gel-information-for-beginners-729204.html

I had found those posts when I first started wanting to do it and it helped me alot in what brand to get and what I needed ect.

Latest posts

Back