Soft hair??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new here so first off I want to say Hi!! I have hair that was cut into a spike in the back, but it was gapped up very badly. It's now growing out so it's almost to my shoulders, but has lots of layers...actually from where it was so uneven. I made a huge mistake of going to a new hairdresser instead of my usual one. She has been kind enough to help me fix it, but as it grows it will have to be evened up more. I got some highlights in and I really like them, I got them 2 mo. ago.

My question is this: What shampoo can I use to make my hair soft, shiny, and manageable? My hair has natural body in it so as it dries it waves, which I hate. I do flat iron a lot so I need help with that as well, how to protect my hair and what products are best. Sorry this is such a long post I didn't mean for it to be. I only highlight once every 6-12 mo. so there's not a lot of damage from that, but I do find my hair is breaking off. Please help and thanks for having me here.
g.gif
~Amy

Girl, first put that shampoo bottle DOWN. Detergents of any sort is not gonna make your hair soft...it does exactly the opposite by stripping you of moisture and oils. You just said your hair is breaking off. Healthy hair does not break off like that, it is damaged.

You should be scambling to pump the moisture back into your hair that was sapped out by the highlighting. Conditioner is what you really should be asking about.

Here is something easy you can do: Go to the store, pick up some cheap V05 Shampoo & Conditioner. Use them both everytime you wash, especially the conditioner. You may see some improvement since that brand is so much gentler than the more expensive and fru-fru variety.

Do that for a week. Come back and tell us how it's going.

Edited to add:

Also, the flat iron bit is not helping you out at all. But if you gotta use it...

Make sure you are doing everything you can to keep moisture in that hair.

Thanks! So Vo5 is the best to use? I have been switching back and forth between Biolage, Suave Extreme Strength, and herbal essence replenishing shampoo. I also use the conditioners to match. Is there any one vo5 you would suggest to be the best or just any? I do have some Balsam and protein conditioner that I used to love, but can't really find anymore...so I don't have the shampoo. Also I searched Forever for Vo5 Hydra Oasis and have FINALLY found that....would that be a gentle one to use? Also one more question to keep from using the flat iron I could put my hair up in a Small pony tail...would that cause less damage than flat iron daily? I just can't stand having waves or body in it. Thanks again for all your help...I hate having more questions.

My hair is very healthy but I decided to grow it longer so I wanted to condition it even more; I only shampoo twice a week, then I use a five-minute conditioning mask, rinse, towel dry my hair and, finally, use V05 Leave in Conditioning Spray. I avoid using a flat iron or a blow dryer on wet hair and I take a multi-vitamin and a fish oil vitamin. Like I said, my hair was very healthy before but now it's even softer and growing incredibly fast. Hope this helps...

What kind of shampoo and mask do you use? I really want to grow my hair out. My highlighted hair is breaking off so I think I need to quit the flat iron and highlights for a while until I can get it strengthend.

I can't say which is "best". But I noticed thoughout the years, the less money I spent on fru-fru products, the better my hair condition has been...less fancy chemicals. Honestly, I don't even use shampoo anymore, I CO wash. (CO mean Conditioner Only). It has all same ingredients that shampoo has to make it rinse clean from your hair, the difference is that it doesn't strip your natural oils.

The thing with protein additives is that while it can be good for hair structure, it makes it feel HARD, and that's when it can break also. That is why it is imperitive that you work as much moisture as you can immediately.

As for styling tools, it is completely up to you how you want to work that out. But if you must do the color + heat then you have to be realistic about the amount of damage incurred over time.

Perhaps to lessen the amount of damage towards the ends, you can spritz with water on them and take one drop of olive oil to lightly gloss the ends before bed time. When you get up in the morning, your ends should be nice and soft.

Latest posts

Back