Something you should be aware of: moldy tampons

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
21
That is the exact face I made while reading that blog.

This might be an excuse to finally make the journey over to the Diva Cup.

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
I was thinking the same thing! I think I would vomit if I went to use a tampon and found it full of mold. 

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.

 
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
483
Reaction score
11
I saw this the other day and promptly bought a diva cup. All of my lady friends have been raving about them for so long, so I had been meaning to buy one anyway. This pushed me over the edge, lol

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
I had been using Instead (menstrual cup) on and off... its hard to find but Diva cup may be something I'm going to try.  

 
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
305
Reaction score
3
Is the diva cup really that great? I've heard about them.. but I'm still kind of scared of leakage..

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
I have to wonder about leakage as well. I understand the concept but sticking something in me like that is... well to be honest it's on the EWW side. Then to pull it out to empty, clean and reinsert. Least with a tampon you don't deal with cleaning it or storing away for the month. I rather deal with OB which have no applicators.

 
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
449
Reaction score
1
The â€emptying and cleaning†freaks me out.. I don't think I could handle that. At all. Ew.

 
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
929
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.
Before I came to the US OB's were all I used.. I was so freaked out by the plastic applicators at first! Now I use Tampax Pearl too, though (or sometimes the cheaper CVS kind).

I like OB's -- unless you're grossed out by.. err... don't want to get to picturesque but... "getting your hands dirty"... I'd say go for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
483
Reaction score
11
emptying and cleaning skeeves me out a bit, too, but not quite as much as all of the chemicals in tampons. yuck! plus I'm pretty sure you only have to empty them a couple of times a day, and I'm sure once you're past the learning curve it gets easier and less messy. 

I'll report back in a few weeks ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
I can see emptying and cleaning someone elses stuff but I don't understand why anyone would be squeamish about their own body?  Alternative is inserting chemical laden paper products into your body that can cause toxic shock or carry mold spores or insect parts 

 
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
20,866
Reaction score
1,618
Location
USA
Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.
Before I came to the US OB's were all I used.. I was so freaked out by the plastic applicators at first! Now I use Tampax Pearl too, though (or sometimes the cheaper CVS kind). I like OB's -- unless you're grossed out by.. err... don't want to get to picturesque but... "getting your hands dirty"... I'd say go for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />


Oh for goodness sakes, we're women here we know what to expect during a period, right? So why are women so squeamish to even discuss it? I indeed include myself in this because it's like a taboo topic! But yes, it's why I never used OB tampons because I don't want to get my fingers covered in blood. It's my own blood and yet it's not something I like to touch. Isn't it weird if I get a cut on my hand I have no problems touching the blood from that wound. If I got a bloody nose, no problem with that blood but if it's a period? It's like EWW!! What is it about our periods that makes us women so squeamish to talk about?

So since you have experience using OB tampons... is there a string to pull it out like with Tampax tampons? Another thing to consider is just removing the tampon out of the applicator and inserting the tampon like an OB one since aren't Tampax longer than OB ones?
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
2,105
Reaction score
62
OB DEFINITELY have a string! They are not as messy as a Diva Cup/Keeper/Instead, IMHO. Plus, I found that when using a cup, my cramps were a LOT worse.

I actually prefer OB, even though I'm old enough to remember the whole TSS fracas that had them off-shelves for a long time. I tend to pinch myself with plastic applicators, and cardboard is annoying. Granted, I ALSO have REALLY short nails--something to bear in mind if you go applicator-less. I think the reason I prefer to be applicator-less is because of the waste and because if I'm not carrying a purse, OB fit better in my jeans pocket. Hell, even when I have used U by Kotex, I take it OUT of the applicator and treat it as IF it were an OB (again, the pinching. Don't judge!) I'm not personally skeeved out my ANY of my bodily fluids, but I do understand why some folks are--it's cuz it's not JUST blood, it's ALSO your uterine lining....and I'd be mortally skeeved out by placenta, so no trippin', IMHO. Everyone has their thing.

The Kotex reaction is BAD, though. I REALLY don't like that they said, "It's a mold not dissimilar to a bread mold" or however they phrased it, cuz you know what it is that molds in bread? YEAST

I think I've said QUITE enough.

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
You can't insert an applicator type tampon as easily as you'd be able to insert an OB.  An applicator type tampon is flimsy and bendy while OB is a hard packed bullet.  

If you've seen a packaged OB, the blue coloured bottom is the string so you can remove it.   When you remove the plastic around the OB bullet, you'll see the blue string.  

I don't understand why women are so disgusted by their own bodies.   I have used Instead which is a disposable cup but I had problems with leakage during a super heavy flow but I do use it when the flow is no longer super heavy, especially when I don't want to carry around packages of tampons everywhere I went.  I just insert in the morning and change it when I got to bed.  

I just keep thinking about all the moms here... if you can change a poopie diaper, you can handle a menstrual cup without a problem.
 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh for goodness sakes, we're women here we know what to expect during a period, right? So why are women so squeamish to even discuss it? I indeed include myself in this because it's like a taboo topic! But yes, it's why I never used OB tampons because I don't want to get my fingers covered in blood. It's my own blood and yet it's not something I like to touch. Isn't it weird if I get a cut on my hand I have no problems touching the blood from that wound. If I got a bloody nose, no problem with that blood but if it's a period? It's like EWW!! What is it about our periods that makes us women so squeamish to talk about?

So since you have experience using OB tampons... is there a string to pull it out like with Tampax tampons? Another thing to consider is just removing the tampon out of the applicator and inserting the tampon like an OB one since aren't Tampax longer than OB ones?

 
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
2,105
Reaction score
62
Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can't insert an applicator type tampon as easily as you'd be able to insert an OB.  An applicator type tampon is flimsy and bendy while OB is a hard packed bullet.  

If you've seen a packaged OB, the blue coloured bottom is the string so you can remove it.   When you remove the plastic around the OB bullet, you'll see the blue string.  

I don't understand why women are so disgusted by their own bodies.   I have used Instead which is a disposable cup but I had problems with leakage during a super heavy flow but I do use it when the flow is no longer super heavy, especially when I don't want to carry around packages of tampons everywhere I went.  I just insert in the morning and change it when I got to bed.  

I just keep thinking about all the moms here... if you can change a poopie diaper, you can handle a menstrual cup without a problem.
 
Honestly, once you're used to OB, applicator-type tampons aren't hard to insert WITHOUT the applicator. I think the hardest part with OB for those who aren't squeamish about it, is that since it IS such a hard-packed bullet, it can be difficult to position correctly AT FIRST. 

And poopie diaper....ugh.... I'd rather deal with a tampon or cup ANY day.

OH, and a word of caution--if silicone/latex are issues, MAKE SURE you're not purchasing a cup that has either of those in it. I remember the original "Keeper" many years ago was made of rubber, but it was HARD and ouchie, whereas Instead are relatively comfortable (barring the worsened cramps), although they LOOK terrifying, size-wise. 

Here's the thing--because it's been so long (for most of us) since we first started dealing with our periods, ANY change from what we are comfortable with is GOING to have a learning curve, no matter how small. But it's worth it to explore other options from your comfort zone, because that change could actually make all the difference in the world in how you feel about TOM, ya know?

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
I actually started with OB before any applicator type tampons because I didn't like having to deal with the applicator afterwards (additional waste and packaging).  I didn't try applicator type tampons until much later.  I have tried inserting an applicator type without the applicator and I couldn't do it...maybe just the type it was.  Cardboard applicators pinch!  I hate them.  I don't cramp so I have no problems in that respect.  

...and poopie diapers, you get what I mean.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, once you're used to OB, applicator-type tampons aren't hard to insert WITHOUT the applicator. I think the hardest part with OB for those who aren't squeamish about it, is that since it IS such a hard-packed bullet, it can be difficult to position correctly AT FIRST. 

And poopie diaper....ugh.... I'd rather deal with a tampon or cup ANY day.

 
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
2,105
Reaction score
62
Haha, divadoll, I TOTALLY get what you mean (but the whole concept of childbirth and of dealing with ANOTHER human's bodily fluids creeeeps me out). Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding TOM, though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
If you are on the pill, you can take it consecutively without that 7 day 'break' and not have a period at all.  I've done that too.   Ultimately, I'd prefer to not have one at all.
 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, divadoll, I TOTALLY get what you mean (but the whole concept of childbirth and of dealing with ANOTHER human's bodily fluids creeeeps me out). Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding TOM, though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 

Latest posts

Top