Something you should be aware of: moldy tampons

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been on the pill for the past 8 years, ever since I got my tubes tied, or I would consider doing that. I thought about staying on it FOR that reason, but figured it wasn't worth it, considering the potential for damage to my body from the ongoing hormones.

This moldy tampon thing is pretty darn horrifying. Gonna share the link to that blog with some friends.

This is another reason I only use cardboard applicators. You can tell immediately if something is wrong since the cardboard is also damaged. I've never had one get moldy on me but I have had a water leak under my sink and not realized it until I pulled out my tampons and they looked weird (they got wet and then dried which made the paper all wrinkly and the cardboard swell).

I've tried OB and its safe to say I do not like them. I really don't mind getting my hands dirty but I constantly have issues with my nails and I simply got tired of scratching/cutting myself. It's just easier with an applicator. 

Oh my. 
sick.gif

I would freak out if I found a moldy tampon like that.

In the letter Kotex sent her, it says, "In instances where it has been found, we conducted tests on the product involved and have found the mold to be a common environmental species that carries no health risk."  Does anyone know if this is true? 

I used to use a Diva Cup, but then I lost it, so I'm back to using tampons.  But the idea of moldy tampons just . . . weirds me out.

I just read this blog and eww. Makes me glad I don''t use tampons. I know that using pads is old fashion but tampons just make my cramps so much worse, and they're already pretty bad. And the cup thing, whatever its called, just look unhygienic to me. Yes I too am skeeved out by own period blood so that would just make me sick. (I work with ppl who are mentally disabled and believe you me I have dealt with every sort of bodily fluid so I am not squeamish.) And again, I'm sure it would worsen my cramps.

I have used tampons lots of times, like when I go to the beach or whatever, but because my periods can be so unbelievably heavy and the cramping, they're just not practical for me. But when I do use them, I will def be checking them now.

That post actually made me more committed to not use tampons anymore. I bought a Diva Cup, used it for the duration of my period. I have some really heavy flow especially at the start and I used it for the first day. No leak, no need for a pad. I sneezed and it did not leak.. I emptied it when I got home and when I woke up in the morning. I love it. It is a non-porous material and so no bacteria can grow. it does not expose the fluid to air so there is no odor. I don't throw wads of paper and plastic into the landfill or sewer.

Back