Speed Test of your computer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Click here to test your speed of your connection to the web

First Pick the closest city to you, run the test and then post the results back.

Here are mine:

340430269.png

Download Speed: 4112 kbps (514 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 353 kbps (44.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Click here to test your speed of your connection to the web

First Pick the closest city to you, run the test and then post the results back.

Here are mine:

Download Speed: 5804 kbps (700.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 480 kbps (60 KB/sec transfer rate)

That was interesting mine were 1540 KBPS download

150 KBPS upload thats pretty fast huh.

Originally Posted by przmaticprinces

That was interesting mine were1540 KBPS download

150 KBPS upload thats pretty fast huh.

Yeah, not to bad upload speed. Is that Dialup? DSL? or Cable?

do you do the test when you're not doing anything? i'm downloading music right now hehe

Download Speed: 4294 kbps (536.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 343 kbps (42.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Is that good or bad for cable?

lemme rephrase that: i obviously know what downloading and uploading is,..i just dont know if those numbers are good or not. ok thats better.
icon_redface.gif

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1013 kbps (126.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 489 kbps (61.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Is that good?
icon_question.gif

Wow, is no one that's posted using dail-up? Those look like decent numbers to me ...

Here's my speed on our ADSL connection (the benefit of living on-campus, free high-speed internet!
biggrin.gif
) :

Download Speed: 1052 kbps (131.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 269 kbps (33.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I do wish we had better upload speeds though, sometimes it takes a while to upload a large file onto our servers, I am always transfering files between my home computer and the school's servers for class projects and such! (And our apartment is on the school network! The ADSL must be the bottleneck; I had faster speeds when I lived in the dorms my first year and had an Ethernet connection
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted by Liz do you do the test when you're not doing anything? i'm downloading music right now hehe Some network guru correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while since my networking class! lol), but I would think it might. Your computer is obviously downloading a file from this test site to test the download speed (then uploading the file back to the test site), so you're going to have data coming into your computer from both the test site and the music site as you download two files, so that's more traffic ... try the test when you're not downloading music and then we'll know!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Liz

do you do the test when you're not doing anything? i'm downloading music right now hehe

Yep, it would forsure matter if you were DL'ing Music.

Originally Posted by girl_geek

Wow, is no one that's posted using dail-up? Those look like decent numbers to me ...
Here's my speed on our ADSL connection (the benefit of living on-campus, free high-speed internet!
biggrin.gif
) :

Download Speed: 1052 kbps (131.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 269 kbps (33.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I do wish we had better upload speeds though, sometimes it takes a while to upload a large file onto our servers, I am always transfering files between my home computer and the school's servers for class projects and such! (And our apartment is on the school network! The ADSL must be the bottleneck; I had faster speeds when I lived in the dorms my first year and had an Ethernet connection
wink.gif
)

Yep, GG ADSL is usually pretty slow. Not as slow as dialup, but relatively speaking compared to cable or fiberoptic.
To answer your other question regarding Liz's question. Yep it sure does matter if you are DLing music and trying to run the test. Think of it as water running through a hose. Only so much water can go thru a hose. If you divert some of that water to another spigot at the same time, then you will get less water out of two spigots. But the total of those two spigots will equal the maximum.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Yep, GG ADSL is usually pretty slow. Not as slow as dialup, but relatively speaking compared to cable or fiberoptic. Well, it's certainly faster than dail-up, I don't really have to wait at all for things like MUT or image-loaded websites to load up!
smile.gif
And since we rarely download files or use streaming media or anything, I normally don't mind!
smile.gif

And best of all, it's free! When I lived off-campus during the summer, I shared my in-laws' AOL dail-up account, and that was annoying
wink.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek

Well, it's certainly faster than dail-up, I don't really have to wait at all for things like MUT or image-loaded websites to load up!
smile.gif
And since we rarely download files or use streaming media or anything, I normally don't mind!
smile.gif

And best of all, it's free! When I lived off-campus during the summer, I shared my in-laws' AOL dail-up account, and that was annoying
wink.gif

Yep you're right. It is faster than dialup. But beleive it or not, your download is only 2x the speed of a 56K dialup
frown.gif

Oh, I should mention our cable modem is free also, but I can't tell you how we get it for free or I would have to kill you
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine The higher the numbers, the faster you can download and upload, so the higher the number, the better. I like to be high... ooohhh wait, wrong topic.
icon_redface.gif

tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine

The higher the numbers, the faster you can download and upload, so the higher the number, the better.

Correct!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I bet you do Panama Red! (movie quote) lol
wink.gif
Meet the Parents, right?

Latest posts

Back