Splurge or Save?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I splurge on tinted moisturizer, colors I really like from seasonal collections, concealer and mascara. Save on lip gloss, nail polish and the rest. My ultimate splurge is skincare because as far as I'm concerned good skin is priceless.

Save money on eye primer, makeup remover, some nail polishes and false eye lashes.

Splurge on everything else.

You really just put my buying habits in perspective for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Save on mascara, eyeliner, lipsticks, and nail polish.  Splurge on foundation/powder/concealor mostly and maybe eyeshadow or blush.  With eyeshadow and blush, it's not that you can get great inexpensive versions, it's just it's an item that I really love to use, so it's worth it to me.  But I'd also say it depends on the brand.  Every brand has great items that are worth investing.  Revlon will always be my go to for nail polish and lipsticks.  Even with higher end brands, I still go back to them and I own practically shade or so it seems. But also, I don't like anything else from them.  Then take a higher end brand like Clinique, I will only purchase their foundation and maybe lipstick but nothing else.  Or MAC, I will only buy their lipsticks and maybe eyeliners, don't like anything else from them.  And of course I have a price limit.  I don't go over $30 dollars which means I don't buy from Dior, Chanel or Geurlain, for instance.  I have a child and college loans and other bills to pay, I can't justify the expense:) In any case, it depends on your budget and what items are worth it to you whether you splurge or save.  Everyone is different I suspect!

Hoo boy....this is a toughie for me, since I'm the bargain queen! LOL

Really, the only thing that I don't flinch about paying splurge prices for is my Estee Lauder skincare stuff--although that may be changing soon, since I've been sampling so many different products. I know that the Estee line I use works well "enough" and I can usually get it as a set to purchase with a GWP, so it actually amortizes out to be as cheap (or cheaper) than if I bought several individual drugstore items. And, yeah, I will pay "moderate" prices for fragrances that I love (although the two I prefer aren't that bad--Lolita Lempicka and Pink Sugar).

Do I splurge impulsively? Sure, who doesn't? If I simply CAN NOT find a cheaper dupe, I'll suck it up and do it--but I at least TRY to find a cheaper dupe, usually. It's kinda awesome to me that there are so many GOOD products in the drugstore lines lately....and I rarely pay full price for those, either.

I was watching an episode of The Shopping Bags, they did 1 look from high end version and low end version.  They said pretty much everything after the foundation can be bargains.  They did notice a difference between a low end vs high end foundation.  The MU artist doing the test liked how HE applied vs the LE.  

Having both HE and LE products, a good foundation makes a good canvas for anything you put on after.  I say always splurge on the foundation and you can save on the rest if you want.  I like to splurge every now and again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Agree, foundation is the one item, if anything, that's worth spending a little more money.  I have somewhat oiliy skin as well as acne prone skin and I've had much success with Clinique or Origins and they have been worth the extra money for me and much better than anything I have tried in the drugstore.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was watching an episode of The Shopping Bags, they did 1 look from high end version and low end version.  They said pretty much everything after the foundation can be bargains.  They did notice a difference between a low end vs high end foundation.  The MU artist doing the test liked how HE applied vs the LE.  

Having both HE and LE products, a good foundation makes a good canvas for anything you put on after.  I say always splurge on the foundation and you can save on the rest if you want.  I like to splurge every now and again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Save - Eyeliner, Mascara, Bronzer, Concealer, Foundation, Eye Primer, Moisturizer, and Nail Polish. 

Splurge - Eyeshadows, Lipsticks, and Lipgloss. 

I like to save wherever I can. The only thing that I really will splurge on is foundation, but even then, I've found a few drugstore foundations that work just fine for me. I do like to splurge every once in awhile, but I look for drugstore dupes wherever possible!

I save on lipstick, lipgloss, and nail polish. 

I splurge on everything else. . .  oh my. ( x x);;

Maybe it's time to save more!!!

splurge: perfume, eyeshadow, bronzer, foundation, gel liners

save: nail polish (a good top coat works wonders), lip gloss, lipstick, pencil liners, makeup remover, brushes (I wouldn't buy super cheap ones but I would never pay $30 for a single brush)

Agree, I think you're better saving on a good perfume.  Those cheap-ass celebrity endorsed perfumes ala Kim Kardashian, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, ect. are never as good as the more luxurious brands. I bought trial size of Givenchy's perfumes for a Christmas gift set and those scents are the best thing I have ever purchased.  It's always better to buy a little something that's really fantastic than a big lot of something that's really obnoxious and cheap and offensive smelling!

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

splurge: perfume, eyeshadow, bronzer, foundation, gel liners

save: nail polish (a good top coat works wonders), lip gloss, lipstick, pencil liners, makeup remover, brushes (I wouldn't buy super cheap ones but I would never pay $30 for a single brush)

Save on eyeshadow, mascara, powder, concealer, nail polish, eyeliner, lip products

Splurge on fragrances, foundation, blush, primers, brushes (they are worth paying the money for ^^)

Splurge on tinted moisturizer, mascara and face cream.

Save on eye primer, concealer, nail polish and polish remover.

Latest posts

Back