(SPOILER) Birchbox: The June boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea they could be (in regards to the bronzer).  That's all I'm asking for, a little even distribution lol.
And I'm not hating either-- the month I got a beauty blender I was surprised by some other the other boxes and thought everyone should've got something equally as nice.

That's what I want too!  It really doesn't matter to me if the boxes have $10 worth of product in them, or $50, but they should all be roughly the same.  I have consistently gotten the lowest value boxes (except May) and it's really discouraging when you see what everybody else is getting every month.  On BB's facebook page a couple days ago, people were accusing them of catering to beauty bloggers and sending them the best boxes.  I don't know if that's true, but it looks like some of their customers are getting fed up with it.  I have been thinking about cancelling BB because it feels like my money is just not good enough to them lately, but the "teaser" of getting that great box keeps me subscribed.  Sigh.  It's like gambling and almost just as addictive...

Quote Originally Posted by mjkdior713 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea they could be (in regards to the bronzer).  That's all I'm asking for, a little even distribution lol.

I wonder, though, how they COULD make it more equal, based on what companies elect to provide? When there is a full-sized item, it skews a box value upward, obviously. To equal out cost-wise, they'd either have to put fewer products in the boxes with the full-sized items, or more items in the lower-cost boxes. While this DOES seem a bit more equitable, wouldn't that then open them up to stuff like, "I don't use bronzer, so I'm miffed that I only got the full-size bronzer and a perfume vial" and "Wow, that person got 8 different items, but I got only two"?

I wonder, though, how they COULD make it more equal, based on what companies elect to provide? When there is a full-sized item, it skews a box value upward, obviously. To equal out cost-wise, they'd either have to put fewer products in the boxes with the full-sized items, or more items in the lower-cost boxes. While this DOES seem a bit more equitable, wouldn't that then open them up to stuff like, "I don't use bronzer, so I'm miffed that I only got the full-size bronzer and a perfume vial" and "Wow, that person got 8 different items, but I got only two"?
This is just my opinion but if I got a full sized item of something I really wanted then I wouldn't even care if I didn't get anything else. However, that brings up the problem of "will that consumer like that one product?" Maybe they should have 'elect in/out' boxes like for the one box with Tarte in it (I'm sorry, I can't remember who partnered with it or whatever). If they're going to offer a box with like 1 full size item and one small thing they could e-mail all of the people who fit that category and ask if they'd be ok with it, or if they want a box with more items.

Although putting more cheaper samples in boxes does sound more fair if you try to even out the box value, don't forget that more items = more feedback points, which means it's very unlikely to happen unless they limit the maximum amount of product feedback you can give per month.

Very true but even then, didn't some boxes have like 7 items? Comparing 17 & 26 it kind of irks me that 17 got 5 while 26 got 7 AND a bigger BB cream sample. 17 got a perfume and 26 got shampoo AND conditioner. Yes, 17 got the hairband thing but that can be compared to the Band Aids as the lifestyle extra and when you won't use it, it's kind of pointless. (I feel like a hipster just looking at it :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

When I think about box equality my mind tends to value all boxes with full size product equally, and every one without equally less, no matter what the dollar value.  Maybe there is no logic behind it, but it seems to be how I'm wired.  Perception is weird like that.

BTW - you can leave feed back on the Band-Aids. If it's a lifestyle extra then no feedback should have been able to be left.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW - you can leave feed back on the Band-Aids. If it's a lifestyle extra then no feedback should have been able to be left.
You can leave it on the luna bars too...I really think it was just the notecard last month they wouldn't allow it on.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's been my experience that an item listed as a "Lifestyle Extra" has allowed me to give feedback (e.g. the Larabar from January and the Dropps Laundry Detergent from April) and an item listed as a "Birchbox Extra" (e.g. the Notecard from May) has not.

Since alot of people seem to have gotten box #2, I did the math for my youtube unboxing and decided to post it here too.

I got the values from the prices on the website.

1. Wonderstruck sample (.04 vial) - $1.16(from a 1.7 oz bottle) or $.70 (from the  3.4 oz bottle)
  2. Stainiac (.04 tube) -$2.27
  3. Luna bar- $ 1.25 (the cost of a single bar from the pack they sell on the website)
  4. Comodyne Tanning Wipes- $3.75 (for 2 wipes) or $1.88 i(f you got only one) But you should have gotten two right?
  5. Stila One Step Bronze- $ 36.00 for the full sized 1oz bottle

Total (if you got 2 wipes and the price of the perfume was taken from the 1.7 OZ bottle)= $44.43
 ​
 ​
Not too bad. Im happy that they are worth a good amount of $ per box. The only thing is that I have 2 different subscriptions and the both seem to have gotten this box. But I rally cant complain when I got a full sized product worth $36. The other items are a bit blah. I already have the wonderstruck in a rollerball. Im naturally tan from being hispanic, so the self tanner is a bit pointless. The luna bars are OK, but I didnt subscribe to get food. And the stainiac is ok, but im a benetint person, but since I lost my full sized, its nice that im getting 2, and the gel formula is less messy.

Since alot of people seem to have gotten box #2, I did the math for my youtube unboxing and decided to post it here too. I got the values from the prices on the website.
  1. Wonderstruck sample (.04 vial) - $1.16(from a 1.7 oz bottle) or $.70 (from the  3.4 oz bottle)
  2. Stainiac (.04 tube) -$2.27
  3. Luna bar- $ 1.25 (the cost of a single bar from the pack they sell on the website)
  4. Comodyne Tanning Wipes- $3.75 (for 2 wipes) or $1.88 i(f you got only one) But you should have gotten two right?
  5. Stila One Step Bronze- $ 36.00 for the full sized 1oz bottle

Total (if you got 2 wipes and the price of the perfume was taken from the 1.7 OZ bottle)= $44.43

Not too bad. Im happy that they are worth a good amount of $ per box. The only thing is that I have 2 different subscriptions and the both seem to have gotten this box. But I rally cant complain when I got a full sized product worth $36. The other items are a bit blah. I already have the wonderstruck in a rollerball. Im naturally tan from being hispanic, so the self tanner is a bit pointless. The luna bars are OK, but I didnt subscribe to get food. And the stainiac is ok, but im a benetint person, but since I lost my full sized, its nice that im getting 2, and the gel formula is less messy.
Will you be keeping both Stila Bronzes? *hopeful lol

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good point!  Lucky for me, even if I reallllly wanted an item I didn't get, it doesn't mean I won't try out the items I did get.  I haven't done a trade ever and I don't think it's something I would elect to do every month (I see some people on this site trading their whole box each month--which is fine if that's what they want, but I dunno...I don't get the point), I might be interested if someone reallly doesn't want something I'd like to try and I have something they want.

I make it a point to try all the items in my box because I really do like trying new things (main reason I subscribed to BB).  I for one am just disappointed that I got 5 items while my mom got 7 and one of hers was the big ticket stila bronzer and mine were all sample size (well, maybe, I dunno...are the bandaids counting as a FS item??).  So not only did she get a $36 item of top of everything else, she had extra products to review therefore extra points earned.  That's my issue.  I dunno.  I still like getting it every month and enjoy trying new things, so I'm not complaining.  Just don't see BB's logic there I guess.

Originally Posted by eclipsechick08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is just my opinion but if I got a full sized item of something I really wanted then I wouldn't even care if I didn't get anything else. However, that brings up the problem of "will that consumer like that one product?" Maybe they should have 'elect in/out' boxes like for the one box with Tarte in it (I'm sorry, I can't remember who partnered with it or whatever). If they're going to offer a box with like 1 full size item and one small thing they could e-mail all of the people who fit that category and ask if they'd be ok with it, or if they want a box with more items.
Or they can do away with full sizes and do deluxe samples.  Yea, that could suck, but at least someone's not getting a $40 item while others get tiny samples.

The box values varying so much wouldn't bother me if they made sure that people didn't get 2 shitty boxes in a row, or 2 really good ones. I've been with bb for 5 months, and aside from the TV box and the GG box, all of the rest of them have been the lowest values boxes of that month. Not one of the lowest. The lowest. It's starting to tick me off :/

Well, just to muddle the waters a bit--and this is in NO way to disparage the beauty boxes AT ALL--here's an example of some things I picked up yesterday:

Butter London nail strips in Leopard--ARV $10

Tresemme travel-size shampoo/conditioner--ARV $1.98

Burt's Bees Tips and Toes Kit--ARV $13, contains 

• Almond Milk Hand Creme (0.25 oz)
  • Hand Salve (0.3 oz)
  • Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Hand Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Coconut Foot Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream (0.3 oz)
  • Replenishing Lip Balm (0.15 oz)
Rimmel Glam'Eyes Day 2 Night Mascara--ARV $8

Now, yes, the majority of these items ARE drugstore (although the higher-quality drugstore items), but this was just a completely unplanned shopping trip (aka I did not bring any coupons with me) where I purchased several items I have not yet tried--and my total cost before tax was $8.35--less than the cost of ANY of the beauty boxes and with an ARV of $32.98 with at least one full-size item. Not bad when compared to some of the beauty boxes we've gotten, eh?

Well I just got my BB and I got box #3, if I did the calculations correctly

it is valued at $17.59  (CVS value of $3.89 for Band Aids)

or $20.70  ( BB  value of $7.00 for Band Aids ).

Either way, pretty low value!!

But whatcha gonna do? 
patches.gif

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The box values varying so much wouldn't bother me if they made sure that people didn't get 2 shitty boxes in a row, or 2 really good ones. I've been with bb for 5 months, and aside from the TV box and the GG box, all of the rest of them have been the lowest values boxes of that month. Not one of the lowest. The lowest. It's starting to tick me off :/
Only problem there is I'm assuming BB doesn't think any of the box variations are shitty lol.  But then again, do they really think people wouldn't (in general, not everyone) prefer larger items/full size stuff/coveted items--sorry if my spelling sucks) to fewer, tiny samples? C'mon.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, just to muddle the waters a bit--and this is in NO way to disparage the beauty boxes AT ALL--here's an example of some things I picked up yesterday:

Butter London nail strips in Leopard--ARV $10

Tresemme travel-size shampoo/conditioner--ARV $1.98

Burt's Bees Tips and Toes Kit--ARV $13, contains 

• Almond Milk Hand Creme (0.25 oz)
  • Hand Salve (0.3 oz)
  • Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Hand Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Coconut Foot Creme (0.75 oz)
  • Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream (0.3 oz)
  • Replenishing Lip Balm (0.15 oz)
Rimmel Glam'Eyes Day 2 Night Mascara--ARV $8

Now, yes, the majority of these items ARE drugstore (although the higher-quality drugstore items), but this was just a completely unplanned shopping trip (aka I did not bring any coupons with me) where I purchased several items I have not yet tried--and my total cost before tax was $8.35--less than the cost of ANY of the beauty boxes and with an ARV of $32.98 with at least one full-size item. Not bad when compared to some of the beauty boxes we've gotten, eh?
Good finds!

Back