(spoilers) Julep January 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with this! I can tolerate a little tip wear, but once there is any noticeable chip or anything, off the polish comes. I would rather just take it off and at least put on my base coat if I feel I don't have time for a whole mani.
Yep this! I would rather have naked nails than have chipped polish.

I can understand the no-time thing. I usually do my nails every 2-4 days, it really just depends on my schedule. The BIGGEST reason I keep on chipped polish is because my nails naked are just hideous. I oil them up every day, use lotion, the works, but my job just does not want my nails/hands to look good. Plus, despite using a base coat, my nails are super stained. The vanish drops from this month help a little bit, but not entirely. My nails could probably use some naked love but ugh. =o(

I didn't get the drops, but a coworker did, and her nails ended up so bumpy that I thought she was wearing a textured polish! And she said it took two hours to dry. And she's still wearing it three days later because she "doesn't have time" to redo them. I just don't understand not having the time to redo a hideous mani you hate. I *make* the time to fix that shit. I even have a stash of chrome and metallic polishes that I know dry super quickly for desperate situations when I only have fifteen minutes to do everything including removing the old polish.
I don't judge people with chipped polish because sometimes you can't make time to even take off old polish. In my line of work (retail) if you're working full time during a busy time of year you hardly have any time for yourself, and when you get home you just want to sleep. And I don't even have kids. My coworkers do, and their polish is chipped half the time. So I don't judge unless someone has polish so worn down that it's just dots on each nail. That's just laziness. : p

I don't judge people with chipped polish because sometimes you can't make time to even take off old polish. In my line of work (retail) if you're working full time during a busy time of year you hardly have any time for yourself, and when you get home you just want to sleep. And I don't even have kids. My coworkers do, and their polish is chipped half the time. So I don't judge unless someone has polish so worn down that it's just dots on each nail. That's just laziness. : p
Here's the thing: She hates the bubbles on her nails. She complains about them all day. If you're that annoyed with something, *change it*! I have nail polish remover wipes right here. We have ten minutes left in our lunch hour. Take that crap off now if it's bothering you that much! "Oh, no, that's too much of a hassle." I have no patience or sympathy for people like that.

Quote: Originally Posted by redjill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This. So much this. Haha. 

Here's the thing: She hates the bubbles on her nails. She complains about them all day. If you're that annoyed with something, *change it*! I have nail polish remover wipes right here. We have ten minutes left in our lunch hour. Take that crap off now if it's bothering you that much! "Oh, no, that's too much of a hassle." I have no patience or sympathy for people like that.
You sound like my boyfriend, and she sounds like me. Lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't get the drops, but a coworker did, and her nails ended up so bumpy that I thought she was wearing a textured polish! And she said it took two hours to dry. And she's still wearing it three days later because she "doesn't have time" to redo them. I just don't understand not having the time to redo a hideous mani you hate. I *make* the time to fix that shit. I even have a stash of chrome and metallic polishes that I know dry super quickly for desperate situations when I only have fifteen minutes to do everything including removing the old polish.
Haha, you would hate me this week.  My nails have looked so god awful since Monday when I peeled off my elmers glue/glitter mani.  There's still small bits of polish on a few nails, it's just horrible.  After working til 11pm and then having to get back up at 5am everyday I don't care to take the time.  I could make time (in exchange for sleep), but screw it.  Yesterday I broke 2 nails in the middle of a hearing and couldn't even file them til like 10pm!  If anyone saw me doing my nails at work, even for 5 minutes, they would think that meant I wasn't busy and they would give me more work.  Sometimes it is that hard to find the time.

Haha, you would hate me this week.  My nails have looked so god awful since Monday when I peeled off my elmers glue/glitter mani.  There's still small bits of polish on a few nails, it's just horrible.  After working til 11pm and then having to get back up at 5am everyday I don't care to take the time.  I could make time (in exchange for sleep), but screw it.  Yesterday I broke 2 nails in the middle of a hearing and couldn't even file them til like 10pm!  If anyone saw me doing my nails at work, even for 5 minutes, they would think that meant I wasn't busy and they would give me more work.  Sometimes it is that hard to find the time.
She has the time to sit there and complain about her nails at lunch (we have lunch together just about every day) for half an hour when it would take for her five minutes to remove the offending polish. The time is there. She just won't use it.

She has the time to sit there and complain about her nails at lunch (we have lunch together just about every day) for half an hour when it would take for her five minutes to remove the offending polish. The time is there. She just won't use it.
Well, of course. It's a coworker's job to be annoying and contrarian. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If I let my coworkers' issues get to me I'd have a heart attack by now (and I'm 31).

Polish is one of those things that I like to look as close to perfect as possible. Like someone else said, I would rather have naked nails than chipped nails. I work long hours all year round, but even after a 12-13 hour work day if I have a chipped nail I'll take 2 minutes to remove all of the polish, even if I don't have time to redo it. Why? Because just one chip will be on my mind all day distracting me from my work! Yes, I am OCD about this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I only hold myself to this standard, it doesn't bother me if someone else's nails are chipped.

My nails are a little rough from my daily use of faux nails so I'm trying to grow them out. I bought a kit to make impressions of my nail beds and then have custom nails made for me from them. Your nails need to be as healthy/smooth as possible and cut short. So I removed the faux nails and trimmed them all the way down. And went polish free. It felt like I forgot to put on my pants without having my nails done so I only lasted 5 days. I'll give it another go next week. This must be like quitting smoking for some (not to make light of that). I just bought 8 polishes on sale at Julep and got the free gift (face masks, etc), all for only $36. I'm feeling pretty pleased right about now. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep this! I would rather have naked nails than have chipped polish.
Agreed! @jesemiaud In fact, these last few days I did my nails twice and both time I ended up doing something that resulted in an unrepairable chip in the polish, so I just took it off! It drives me bananacakes! LOL

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Booooooooo.

Wow, that is crazy!

I have a feeling this is why they are trying to start limiting how many times people skip, starting with newer Mavens. They have so many people that skip every month, until something comes along that everyone wants, then they are forced to oversell. With a bigger ticket item like this, I'm sure they did not order too many out of a concern that they would be stuck with a bunch left over if nobody wanted it for the price it was offered. Then they'd have to stick it in a mystery box, and everyone would complain about that too. 

It really sucks that they didn't give more notice to new mavens, but from an inventory perspective, it does make a lot of sense.

My Feb Maven box shipped yesterday and should arrive on Sat - yeah!! I got my mid month sale order yesterday (8 polishes for only 19) and just loved them all, except the sheer pastel yellow. After 4 coats it was still not opaque or even close to it. But it was only $2.50 so no biggie. I loved the sea salt finish in turquoise and really, really love the satin finishes. I can't get enough and will buy them in every color they offer. I got the dark navy this time and it's awesome!

Latest posts

Back