St-Ives scrub and breakouts?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was reading some reviews about the abricot St-Ives Scrub for people with oily skin and acne (which is me because I have oily skin and I had trouble in the past with little acne) and it is not all positive or all negative. I bought the scrub for 3$ at my local walmart and I used it last wednesday night. After using it, I saw what people meant by not using it every day because it is hard stuff and the next day I felt my face hot ... I felt that my face was really clean after the scrub but I decided to wait. I don't know if it is the scrub or probably the change in the weather that is happenning with fall coming up (always hard on my skin because I breakout when the weather changes) but I feel like I have little bumps under my skin. Of course nobody can see them except me but it bugs me and I wonder if it could have been the scrub. Has anyone ever tried it?

I usually use Avene's gentle scrub but for my oily skin I don't feel like it is enough so I wanted to try something new. At the same time I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful... What kind of scrub would you suggest for me if I cannot use St-Ives?

Thank you for your help... I love this board.

the scrub can be really iffy on people. since the particles are really big, they can be really abbrassive, so it's not an everday scrub.

if you want to try it out to see how it works on your skin, you can, just be careful.

I don't like St Ives so much because the grains are so big. I prefer Queen Helene brand. It is smoother, and just as inexpensive!

I did try it once last week and like I said your face feels clean after but the next day my face felt hot and now I think I have little breakouts under my skin and I wonder if it is because of the scrub... Kinda scared to use it a second time.

I think my skin feels the same way about St-Ives... Oh well, 3$ for nothing but it is ok.

I have used the "regular" st. Ives and surprizingly had no problem. But if your skin doesn't "like" the scrub, I wouldn't take the chance by using it again!!! I have felt that way about lots of products. For instance, I caved in and bought the origins modern friction and HOLY MOLY my face felt like it was on fire the 2nd and 3rd time I used it. Which was so weird because the first time I used it I loved it. So, needless to say, I returned that sucker, because I'm not going to waste 30+ dollars!!! Anyways, I heard that mixing some baking soda into a gentle cleanser, or even using a wash cloth with a gentle cleanser are both good exfoliators. I haven't tried the baking soda thing though. I actually like the neutrogena blackhead eliminating daily scrub. My brother likes that one a lot too, and he is so fickle with that stuff.

Originally Posted by Liz the scrub can be really iffy on people. since the particles are really big, they can be really abbrassive, so it's not an everday scrub.
if you want to try it out to see how it works on your skin, you can, just be careful.

I use this, but I have to be a bit careful to avoid the 'burn.' I only use a little amount, on a wetface, so I have less granules on my face so it doesnt grind as much. I also don't pressed hard, just rub in light circles. Scrubs that have the plastic beads just don't do anything for my skin, so I make this work...I have looked for the Queen Helene version, as it gets good reviews, but I can never find it.
icon_cry.gif

i tried this product as well because everyone raved about it and the price was right. my skin felt very clean with no burn, however it did not give me good long time satisfaction as other products I've used. i felt it did not decongest my pores the way i would like them to be. so I'm going back to micro daily exfoliant and skin prep scrub.

Originally Posted by moviedom78 Hello everyone,
I was reading some reviews about the abricot St-Ives Scrub for people with oily skin and acne (which is me because I have oily skin and I had trouble in the past with little acne) and it is not all positive or all negative. I bought the scrub for 3$ at my local walmart and I used it last wednesday night. After using it, I saw what people meant by not using it every day because it is hard stuff and the next day I felt my face hot ... I felt that my face was really clean after the scrub but I decided to wait. I don't know if it is the scrub or probably the change in the weather that is happenning with fall coming up (always hard on my skin because I breakout when the weather changes) but I feel like I have little bumps under my skin. Of course nobody can see them except me but it bugs me and I wonder if it could have been the scrub. Has anyone ever tried it?

I usually use Avene's gentle scrub but for my oily skin I don't feel like it is enough so I wanted to try something new. At the same time I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful... What kind of scrub would you suggest for me if I cannot use St-Ives?

The St. Ives scrubs can be really harsh. I use mine about once a week to exfoliate, but I mix it in with a bit of a creamy cleanser because I have really sensitive skin and using it alone irritates it beyond belief.

I know a bunch of people who are prone to acne and then after started using St. Ive's Apricot Scrub, their skin cleared up. I guess it depends on your skin type b/c it really dries up your skin so it starts producing excess oil and causes breakouts. And also, those scrub particles are really big so they might irritate your skin, like others said...
icon_neutral.gif

I love the St. Ives scrub. I dont use it very often, maybe once a week, but it feels so good, and it doesnt make my skin feel hot. I guess it must just be certain peoples skin type. But maybe because i exfoliate, tone, then moisturize?? I dont no, but i like the smell. It smells like apricots, instead of medicine.

I don't think I've ever used the St. Ives scrub - but I have the Queen Helene apricot one & it works really well...
wink.gif

I have the st ives scrub find that it works with my skin type but i can only use it once every week or sometimes every two weeks. Scrubs are good to use 2-4 times a week so if your skin can't take st ives apricot scrub then you should try going to your spa and asking an aesthetician there. Usually the ones the offer in spas have a softer grain in them that don't feel so harsh on sensitive skins like yours.Scrubs may cause breakouts because your skin is really sensitive and because you are removing dead skin cells from your skin.

Good Luck

Neutrogena scrub makes my skin amazing soft, and it smells better than any face wash i have every used....it smellls like creamsicles!!!

has anybody tried the st. ives scrub for oily/acne prone skin? i use the regular version but i am thinking of trying that one...

My first post was about the st-ives scrub for oily/acne prone skin and I would not recommend it. Like I said I think it burned my face and I am still paying the price after 2 weeks. I talk to this woman at the pharmacy and she said to never use that stuff on your face. She recommended me the Galénic scrub for oily skin and I will try it.

I personally find this scrub and similiar types really irritating. The main reason is because they use shells to exfoliate your skin. Even though the shells are ground small, they are still uneven and have jagged edges which in turn just scratches the surface of your skin, sometimes you can actually see the scratch marks. This just further irritates your and can actually increase the amount of breakouts you have. The same is also true for sugar, salt, and pumice facial scrubs just to name a few. They do have some scrubs which are gentle like jojoba beads, but they don't really do enough to actually exfoliate your skin.

I always suggest 2 things to get a good exfoliation without irritating your skin. One is to use a home microdermabrasion system, you can interchange using it as a microdermabrasion and an exfoliation. Make sure the microdermabrasion uses Aluminum Oxide crystals. This is because these crystals are ground to be round and the same size so they don't have jagged edges that will scratch your skin. These crystals are also very hard, meaning they wont absorb into your skin while you're using them so they efficiently can exfoliate dead skin cells.

My second suggestion is to get a microfiber facial cloth. If you haven't heard of microfiber cloths yet, they are great and are gentle enough to be used everyday. I started using these towels about a year ago and I'll never use anything else. Try doing a simple internet search for them and the websites should explain the details of how they are made ect., but they definitly work thats for sure...just make sure you get one for the face and not one to wash the car since there are different kinds.

this irritated my skin so i stopped using it, i have dry and sensitive skin but one that breaks out too, this scrub made it worse, i now use victoria principle secret cleanser every day and scrub 1 or 2x a week, my skin feels soft and not dry at all after using this.

Yes, the bolded part is exactly why I stay away from the scrub. I do love the St. Ives Clear Pore Cleanser though as it is a staple in my family. However, I do use the srub for my feet while in the shower -- yeah, the scrub is that harsh to me
icon_neutral.gif

Originally Posted by moviedom78 I did try it once last week and like I said your face feels clean after but the next day my face felt hot and now I think I have little breakouts under my skin and I wonder if it is because of the scrub... Kinda scared to use it a second time.

Latest posts

Back