Starbox August

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread, and I do think it is a bit odd that a friend of the company would attack others just for stating their opinions. I did have a feeling that Pretty Pinchy was in some way connected to Starlooks, as this person seemed to be trying to explain to us the strategy behind the photo inclusion. That's fine, but consumers should be able to respectfully express their opinions on how they see it, regardless of what was intended. 

First off, Vee we all lub you and I hope you know it
hugss.gif

I would consider the picture to be a "extra" of the box, more of an included advertisement or insert that goes along with it. Voicing our opinion of what appeals or doesn't appeal to us is fine in my book. We all respond to differently to advertising. If a company wants to improve their sales, it pays to read reviews. All reviews are not going to agree but on the whole they will give a consumer opinion that may change your future marketing techniques and strategies.

As far as the products go, I actually liked what I received. I wish the lip gloss had a nice scent but it was still smooth, not too sticky and a pretty color. I really enjoyed the liner and I can always use a new liner brush.

To be perfectly honest, most of the members here (the box ladies especially) love testing new stuff with an open mind. Being hollered at for having an opinion is a turn off.  As you have noticed, when the ladies and gentlemen around here like a product, we are a huge ball of free advertising. With the kind of traffic that this site gets, that is a huge opportunity.

Just my two cents....

To clarify a few things for the members of Makeup Talk.

First, Azuramour, PrettyPinchy1 and MarciStarlooks are sharing the IP. I'm not going to share the exact IP with you but as the Community Manager for Makeup Talk I'm able to view everyone's IPs. All three IPs originate from the same computer or network which is NOT located in New York City.

Second, DiorAdora is not located in New York City, I won't disclose her location however I will state that she verified her location to me which I confirmed via her IP.

Third, US FTC regulations on disclosures makes it clear that anyone who works for or received products from a company must disclose that. For example, on my own blog I disclose that I'm a MyGlam Ambassador but am not compensated by them nor am I given free products from them. I do give them my opinion on things though and one of the "perks" of being their Ambassador is that they acknowledge me from time to time on their Facebook which has helped promote my own blog and Facebook page. I'm also affiliated with Sigma and Birchbox and earn commission though certain links and disclose that when I use one of my affiliate links. I also disclose that I earn reward points for other Birchbox referral links or Beauty Army links, etc. I've even mentioned it here in various posts when something requires me to make that disclosure such as the review I made today for an Yves Rocher product that was sent to me.

Even though forums are not blogs the fact is by not making disclosures makes people less trusting of any review a person makes so these two posts would make some of the members here upset because it's deceptive when PrettyPinchy1 is the pr person and azuramour is a good friend... and all three account (Marcistarlooks) are the same IP.

Originally Posted by azuramour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I totally agree. This was my second Starbox and I thought it was phenomenal. 

I live in NYC and am obsessed with fashion and LOVE that Starlooks decided to team up with a CELEBRITY DESIGNER for this box! Seriously?! NAME ANOTHER BOX COMPANY THAT DOES THAT!! ha!

No offense, but you all are totally missing the point. Did you even read the flyers? My guess is no, and you definitely should. You're not influencing anyone with these comments, rather, you're making yourself look ill-informed. And to be honest, you all kindof come off a little "jealous" ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Originally Posted by PrettyPinchy1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my August Starbox too! This is my fourth month, and also brand new to Starlooks' subscription boxes, (I have had other sub boxes for a little longer) and I absolutely love this one. I guess I disagree with these comments, this box was pretty meaningful to me- but I researched Lauren Bradley after my box came, and I guess I really identified with her-

It seems to me that some people either skipped reading the August flyer and/or misunderstood the message Starlooks and Lauren were trying to get across, at least in my opinion.  In our society, I feel as if I am constantly barraged with negative influences, overtly negative television, offensive media, and some are my own doing like bad relationships or just plain my curiosity of what's out there...

I think Lauren understands this and she is trying to get all women to understand this as well.  She is saying in a photograph and through her brand that if you have spent your life comparing yourself to other women to stop.  Change right now and pay attention to the unique beauty that YOU are.
Clearly, as you can see, Lauren isn't a Victoria Secret model. She's a real woman, and very beautiful.

I feel as if Lauren is trying to tell us to wear lingerie for ourselves to have the simple idea that we are not only worth it but that we deserve to wear beautiful intimate apparel and for any reason that we please. Besides the fact that she's a fashion designer and designed her own lingerie line and is wearing it in the photo! This, to me, is so cool and innovative, and I'm excited to know about a more classic looking line now...  And I don't have anything against Victoria's secret, or any other lingerie line's ads either.. or I would be a hypocrite. And this makes you feel like you don't have to look like that to wear awesome makeup and pretty undergarments. To me that is empowering and revolutionary!  And it all starts with loving and accepting you for who you are. 

I forgot for a moment but Lauren helped me remember: I am beautiful because I am.

This box isn't selling sexy to me: it's selling empowerment. 

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's really off putting and a turn off to think your "employees" would do something like that for having an honest opinion. Not sure how I feel about this now.
Vee- I am very apologetic for what has happened, and I agree that our "friend's" comment was rude to you and not appropriate. I requested that it be deleted, and it has been. Trust that our personal relationship is very important to me, and I am here now to mediate these comments toward valued reviewers and subscribers. Thank you for you patience in me dealing with this matter, and I will always give my full support to all of you on any thread that stands behind our brand. (PS. this was not our employee. This was a friend of a family member named AzureAmore.) PrettyPinchy is our PR agent. This person supports you fully and always. xo -Marci

Originally Posted by DiorAdora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do not like how my name is being tossed into this! I have nothing to do with the starlooks team. If your going to use name references please use them correctly as this makes me look like I've done or said something I haven't. Thank you

And reading all this I'd say its off putting to me as well..
Dior- this is completely my mistake.... This is Marci, and you are a very valued reviewer on our end. I am so new to this site, I mistakenly put your name instead of Azur- because you have the same photo I confused you. MY DEEPEST APOLOGIES! I hope I have remedied this situation by reaching out to you and clearing up the names. I am not as savvy at this makeuptalk thing as you- and I meant someone completely different.

I have also reached out to you again on facebook. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

You are much appreciated- Marci xo

Zadidoll, this information has been verified with the makeuptalk.com team and has been cleared up. Starlooks does not believe in alias' or spam. These two people are different people, and also different from ME, and verified by myself in this thread, and with makeuptalk. Please contact them in response, and feel free to contact me as well at any time- [email protected]

In the future, I am able to continue to stand behind our brand and its legitimacy, and I am always willing to address matters at any time. 

I DO appreciate that you and everyone on this site are very protective of spammers and illegitimate accounts... I know that you will stand behind Starlooks in the future as well, so I am positive while moving forward with my involvement. Thank you for protecting our companies.

Sincerely,

Marci Star

Starlooks, LLC.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To clarify a few things for the members of Makeup Talk.

First, Azuramour, PrettyPinchy1 and MarciStarlooks are sharing the IP. I'm not going to share the exact IP with you but as the Community Manager for Makeup Talk I'm able to view everyone's IPs. All three IPs originate from the same computer or network which is NOT located in New York City.

Second, DiorAdora is not located in New York City, I won't disclose her location however I will state that she verified her location to me which I confirmed via her IP.

Third, US FTC regulations on disclosures makes it clear that anyone who works for or received products from a company must disclose that. For example, on my own blog I disclose that I'm a MyGlam Ambassador but am not compensated by them nor am I given free products from them. I do give them my opinion on things though and one of the "perks" of being their Ambassador is that they acknowledge me from time to time on their Facebook which has helped promote my own blog and Facebook page. I'm also affiliated with Sigma and Birchbox and earn commission though certain links and disclose that when I use one of my affiliate links. I also disclose that I earn reward points for other Birchbox referral links or Beauty Army links, etc. I've even mentioned it here in various posts when something requires me to make that disclosure such as the review I made today for an Yves Rocher product that was sent to me.

Even though forums are not blogs the fact is by not making disclosures makes people less trusting of any review a person makes so these two posts would make some of the members here upset because it's deceptive when PrettyPinchy1 is the pr person and azuramour is a good friend... and all three account (Marcistarlooks) are the same IP.

I was also reading some reviews on starlooks Facebook along the same lines of rudeness of why reviews of the box didn't read the cards. Well as a reviewer boxes can come with a lot of reading material so adding a huge bio into our box while doing a video is silly for filming timing reasons) Most of us are not going to read it. If we didn't look at your sneak on Facebook most of us would have wondered why on earth that photo was in our box.

Marci - one of the things you'll learn about MUT members are that they're VERY protective of not only their pocketbooks but also of the companies they like. The members are VERY opinionated - which we love - and it through their opinions that companies like MyGlam has improved their services and other have gone out of business.

So for the members so you know where we stand. The Huddler team was able to verify things with Marci and the Starlooks team. They will make it clear in the future on who works for Starlooks and who is associated with them so there is no further confusion. I was notified by the Huddler staff of the situation and one of the Huddler team members was able to speak to her today and resolved the situation.

Thank you Zadi, for bringing this to everyone's attention. Shortly following this comment (in the next 24 hours), you will also be seeing a formal apology from AzurAmor for the nature of her comments.

I am still excited to hear feedback on our services and products, and will continue to personally stay involved in the threads. Hopefully, now, we can get back to the appropriate and more exciting topic- our products and services ;-).

Love, Marci

Originally Posted by PrettyPinchy1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This box isn't selling sexy to me: it's selling empowerment.

But it's your company Marci.

When I saw this post, I thought, "Ha!  I love you Zadidoll!"  I love that the MUT members and staff are so good at figuring out who are the liars and cheats.

I did not sign up for Starbox when it started up because I was creeped out by the drooly lipstick pictures.  And, having been burned by the Posh Pod and Sindulge, I thought I would watch and wait.  I am glad I did because I don't want a beauty box where I might pull out a picture of a woman in a garter belt and half dressed.  I share my beauty box enthusiasm with my three young nieces, and I would not want them to see that picture, because I KNOW that their mom would not want them to see that picture.  I don't have a problem with Victoria Secret catalogs because they come through the door clearly marked as catalogs. 

I suspect that the photo is essentially an ad for the lingerie.  I suspect that if the model was not selling the lingerie, her picture would not be in the box, and all this talk about empowerment is manipulative BS.  Seems to me that Ms. Star's comments have been deceptive and manipulative. 

Hello everyone,

I was recently informed by my friends at Starlooks that my comment I posted started something I never intended.

Firstly, I want to make clear that my post was not directed at anyone in particular (no reviewers or subscribers personally). I was simply referring to all posts I had seen coming from people who (in my opinion) we're commenting negatively about the card in the box prematurely, without thoroughly investigating it's motive or purpose.

Secondly, I started my Account with makeuptalk.com not by the request of Starlooks, but because I am a paying subscriber myself, and wanted to post my OWN opinion just like the rest of you. I sincerely apologize. I did not mean  for my comment to be taken personally, and most importantly, I did not mean for Starlooks to take the wrap for my personal opinion that I posted with absolutely no influence from them whatsoever. I do know Starlooks employees personally, but when it comes to their products, I have my own opinion that they have no control over.

Next time I express my opinion on this web site I will try to be more "friendly" now that I know the sensitivity of the members of this site.

Sincerely, azuramour xoxo

While I appreciate your apology (which was only given to us when ASKED), turning around and calling us sensitive is just putting us down again. How is it that you "live in NYC" but have the same ip address as Marci and the other girl? You're assuming that we didn't understand the point behind the picture and calling us jealous without even asking of we understood. You're jumping the gun which makes you SENSITIVE to the fact that maybe others GET the image, just don't care for it.

Hello everyone, I was recently informed by my friends at Starlooks that my comment I posted started something I never intended. Firstly, I want to make clear that my post was not directed at anyone in particular (no reviewers or subscribers personally). I was simply referring to all posts I had seen coming from people who (in my opinion) we're commenting negatively about the card in the box prematurely, without thoroughly investigating it's motive or purpose. Secondly, I started my Account with makeuptalk.com not by the request of Starlooks, but because I am a paying subscriber myself, and wanted to post my OWN opinion just like the rest of you. I sincerely apologize. I did not mean  for my comment to be taken personally, and most importantly, I did not mean for Starlooks to take the wrap for my personal opinion that I posted with absolutely no influence from them whatsoever. I do know Starlooks employees personally, but when it comes to their products, I have my own opinion that they have no control over. Next time I express my opinion on this web site I will try to be more "friendly" now that I know the sensitivity of the members of this site. Sincerely, azuramour xoxo  

This is very confusing to me  and I am questioning this company and their honesty. And I agree with Glamourdolleyes. That comment by Azuramour is  another  putdown!

Nice apology
laughno.gif

After reading this, I wouldn't give this company a penny.

"Next time I express my opinion on this web site I will try to be more "friendly" now that I know the sensitivity of the members of this site."

WOW! I am speechless.

Originally Posted by azuramour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello everyone,

I was recently informed by my friends at Starlooks that my comment I posted started something I never intended.

Firstly, I want to make clear that my post was not directed at anyone in particular (no reviewers or subscribers personally). I was simply referring to all posts I had seen coming from people who (in my opinion) we're commenting negatively about the card in the box prematurely, without thoroughly investigating it's motive or purpose.

Secondly, I started my Account with makeuptalk.com not by the request of Starlooks, but because I am a paying subscriber myself, and wanted to post my OWN opinion just like the rest of you. I sincerely apologize. I did not mean  for my comment to be taken personally, and most importantly, I did not mean for Starlooks to take the wrap for my personal opinion that I posted with absolutely no influence from them whatsoever. I do know Starlooks employees personally, but when it comes to their products, I have my own opinion that they have no control over.

Next time I express my opinion on this web site I will try to be more "friendly" now that I know the sensitivity of the members of this site.

Sincerely, azuramour xoxo

My two cents in the whole matter.

1. I can confirm that the lady who said she's from NYC is currently in NYC as the IP she logged into today is originating out of NYC.

2. Members here are not "sensitive" but are protective. Too many have dealt with the owners and friends of companies such as GoGo Girlfriend or Posh Pod or Box Monthly (among other companies). So far the products in the Starlooks boxes have been good - I don't see any real complaints about how crappy the products are as I've seen in other threads about other companies.

3. The only major concern members had - which essentially started the arguments between the members and Starlook reps - have been over a picture sent in this month's boxes of a woman in her underwear which some may have found to be offensive or inappropriate while others were simply questioning why such an image was in the box. Keep in mind not everyone has a Facebook and wouldn't know the purpose of the image.

4. Even though these are forums it's ALWAYS a good idea for people to disclose if they're working for a company directly, if they're affiliated with them, friends with the owners or get the products for free. FTC guidelines are some what clear on what is and isn't allowed but it is clear that when in doubt just disclose it.

My advice is just to let things settle down for a few days and move forward. If those members here who currently subscribe to Starlooks continue to their subscriptions they're more than welcome to discuss the items they get. Just remember everyone has an opinion and even if you disagree with it no one has the right to tell someone they're wrong for it. The MUT forums are for people to give their opinions on the products they buy - the good, the bad and the ugly.

For those new to Makeup Talk please read the Terms of Service for more information on what is and isn't allowed here.

My two cents in the whole matter.

1. I can confirm that the lady who said she's from NYC is currently in NYC as the IP she logged into today is originating out of NYC.

2. Members here are not "sensitive" but are protective. Too many have dealt with the owners and friends of companies such as GoGo Girlfriend or Posh Pod or Box Monthly (among other companies). So far the products in the Starlooks boxes have been good - I don't see any real complaints about how crappy the products are as I've seen in other threads about other companies.

3. The only major concern members had - which essentially started the arguments between the members and Starlook reps - have been over a picture sent in this month's boxes of a woman in her underwear which some may have found to be offensive or inappropriate while others were simply questioning why such an image was in the box. Keep in mind not everyone has a Facebook and wouldn't know the purpose of the image.

4. Even though these are forums it's ALWAYS a good idea for people to disclose if they're working for a company directly, if they're affiliated with them, friends with the owners or get the products for free. FTC guidelines are some what clear on what is and isn't allowed but it is clear that when in doubt just disclose it.

My advice is just to let things settle down for a few days and move forward. If those members here who currently subscribe to Starlooks continue to their subscriptions they're more than welcome to discuss the items they get. Just remember everyone has an opinion and even if you disagree with it no one has the right to tell someone they're wrong for it. The MUT forums are for people to give their opinions on the products they buy - the good, the bad and the ugly.

For those new to Makeup Talk please read the Terms of Service for more information on what is and isn't allowed here.
Zadidoll, thank you for this and you are (as everyone else can concur) well respected with these comments.

1. Thank you for acknowledging that you have confirmed this proof- that we are not made up of alias or spam. 

2. I promise, with my whole heart and love for our clients and customers- that we will never conduct the actions that have been shown to you by these other companies (GoGo, Posh Pod, etc.). We will continue to give great customer service, care about all of you individually, and deliver a consistent and what we believe to be "awesome, exceptional product ;-)"

3. I am not offended at all regarding the opinions of the contents of our box. I welcome your opinions on the inside of our boxes, good or bad. ;-)

4. Starlooks and myself are new to MUT. We now know FTC rules and promise to disclose everything and anything associated with our company from now on. Our mistake. (We simply didn't know we had to, but now we do!)

I will continue to remedy any situation you may have with Starlooks personally. If you have any inquiries, questions, or concerns, feel free to contact me anytime at [email protected].

And thank you again to all our supportive subscribers and reviewers.

Marci Star

Starlooks, LLC.

While I was feeling hesitant regarding what was said, the bottom line is that regardless of how I felt about the added photo, I was quite happy with what was in my box as far as makeup. I am and will continue to remain a Starbox subscriber until I feel otherwise. They never messed up my billing, they sent me tracking numbers that worked, and I received items that I felt were worth it. I guess to each his or her own, but for now I am content.

While I was feeling hesitant regarding what was said, the bottom line is that regardless of how I felt about the added photo, I was quite happy with what was in my box as far as makeup. I am and will continue to remain a Starbox subscriber until I feel otherwise. They never messed up my billing, they sent me tracking numbers that worked, and I received items that I felt were worth it. I guess to each his or her own, but for now I am content.
I feel the same. I was contemplating if I wanted to stay subbed or not but I appreciate the products, customer service and concept too much to let it go. I appreciate that Marci has reached out to me/us so I will be keeping it as well. I just hope the other ladies posting on behalf of starlooks will jsut leave it be.

Latest posts

Back