Starting my 1 year old on cows milk?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So I have been breastfeeding my son for a year and I am just now starting to wean. I have been giving him a mix of formula and breastmilk and I want to start introducing cows milk but am also on the fence about it. I have done a lot of research on it and have found that animal proteins are actually bad for humans and linked to cancer and what not (of course every thing is)! Our family eats about 80% organic so i feel like that eliminates a good amount of pesticides and hormones. I can't see us going vegan ...So after much thinking I have decided to do cows milk in moderation but I also want to offer some kind of other milk... I was thinking maybe almond? I'm not sure... Do any of you ladies have any suggestions on a healthy alternative to cows milk?

Thanks!

Don't believe every study out there. One says it's bad, next says it's good. The best person to talk to is your son's doctor. If you're concerned about cow's milk you can try goat's milk or soy milk (don't do almond milk at that age).

Thanks for your input! I plan on talking to his doctor at his next appointment. Other milks are sketchy too so it's hard to decide!

I grew up on goat's milk - fresh - because I had a milk allergy as an infant and as a child. Only for a short time as a teen could I eat products made with cow's milk or drink milk but as an adult I'm lactose intolerant. I love goat and sheep's milk but like I said best person to talk to is the doctor. Everyone has opinions and unfortunately not one of us is qualified to give you a definitive answer. Let us know what the doctor said.

I think most children grow up with some sort of animal milk and are perfectly fine and healthy. Obviously family history of allergies or sensitivities should be considered. I agree with Zadi, talk to your pediatrician.

I breastfed for several years and introduced Almond, Coconut, Soy and Hemp milks when she was around 2. They have been excellent alternatives for dairy milk for her. She is now 4 and healthy as a horse! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You do what you feel most comfortable giving her. If your doctor suggests dairy and you're still uneasy about it then don't do it. Not all doctors are qualified in the nutrition department that's why there's nutritionist. If I listened to everything my daughter's first pediatrician said...she would have started solids and dairy at 4 months and I would have stopped breastfeeding at that age too because according to this doctor breast milk is useless after 4 months. Go figure! 

Hope you find something that you are all happy with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was fortunate to have 1yr maternity leave for both children (actually 7mo for my 15yr old but I quit my job after returning for a month). I breastfed both children until they were 3. I nursed them 2x a day, morning and night and they were fed cow's milk along with other foods for the rest of the day.  They are both healthy at 9 and 15. 

My son did not have a bottle until he was 7mo old when I returned to work for a month, when I quit, he returned to breast milk full time.  My daughter didn't have a bottle, she went from breast to sippy cup.

Cows milk contains many harmful antibiotics and chemicals. Hemp milk is non allergenic and has the Omegas brains need to maintain optimal functions. Cows milk is also a top common allergen due to not only lactose but the chemical compounds and sludge found in dairy brands today. Almond milk may be introduced after 1 year but get the no sugar added kind or risk tooth rot among other things. 

Latest posts

Back