stocking up on hair care tools

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Reaction score
For ages I've not been styling my hair. Just leaving it down or putting it in a pony tail. I think I want to start styling it again. I'm going to try to get a hair appointment this week and I'll see what my stylist recommends, but I'd like to get as many suggestions as possible. I have extra thick wavy curly hair, shoulder length. I used to have a curling iron that I used to help define my curls, but I lost it years ago, so I know I need to buy another one. I'm a little clueless about what other tools I might need. Probably some products too like gel or mousse, right?

Thanks hair divas!!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suzukigrrl For ages I've not been styling my hair. Just leaving it down or putting it in a pony tail. I think I want to start styling it again. I'm going to try to get a hair appointment this week and I'll see what my stylist recommends, but I'd like to get as many suggestions as possible. I have extra thick wavy curly hair, shoulder length. I used to have a curling iron that I used to help define my curls, but I lost it years ago, so I know I need to buy another one. I'm a little clueless about what other tools I might need. Probably some products too like gel or mousse, right?
Thanks hair divas!!

Your hair sounds a lot like mine. For curls/waves, my favorite products are:Sebastian Laminates Curl Polish

Pantene Curl Defining Mousse (I ran out and haven't used in a while, but I used to use it all the time).

Graham Webb Making Waves is good for looser waves as opposed to curls

I also use L'oreal Smooth and Sleek anti-frizz serum to keep down the frizz. This is a lot more light weight then the other serums that I have so its better for curls.

Also try drying with a diffuser. What I do is brush my hair in the shower and then rinse out conditioner. Towel dry, being careful not to rub the hair (makes it frizzier), just pat dry. Then I use a mixture of serum and gel or mousse (or sometimes a combo) and coat my hair with it and then flip my head over and just kinda push the hair up so the curls firm. I do this a couple of times more while I get dressed or do something. Then when it's a little drier, I flip back over the use a diffuser, just letting the hair sit in the diffuser and then pushing it up and down. When it's almost dry, I spray with L'oreal Pumping Curls spray which seems to hold the curl. Then I dry a little more. I get really great curls that way!

Reaction score
Hmm... thanks for suggestions. I'll have to check them out next time I go to the beauty supply store.

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Your hair sounds a lot like mine. For curls/waves, my favorite products are:Sebastian Laminates Curl Polish

Pantene Curl Defining Mousse (I ran out and haven't used in a while, but I used to use it all the time).

Graham Webb Making Waves is good for looser waves as opposed to curls

I also use L'oreal Smooth and Sleek anti-frizz serum to keep down the frizz. This is a lot more light weight then the other serums that I have so its better for curls.

Also try drying with a diffuser. What I do is brush my hair in the shower and then rinse out conditioner. Towel dry, being careful not to rub the hair (makes it frizzier), just pat dry. Then I use a mixture of serum and gel or mousse (or sometimes a combo) and coat my hair with it and then flip my head over and just kinda push the hair up so the curls firm. I do this a couple of times more while I get dressed or do something. Then when it's a little drier, I flip back over the use a diffuser, just letting the hair sit in the diffuser and then pushing it up and down. When it's almost dry, I spray with L'oreal Pumping Curls spray which seems to hold the curl. Then I dry a little more. I get really great curls that way!

Reaction score
When my hair was curly, I would dry it upside down with the diffuser like Bonbon suggested. If you wear it curly a lot, long layers cut into the back and sides will help it curl more because it takes out a lot of bulk & weight, but still keeps the length. I also used to love CurlySexyHair's curl activator spray. It's sort of like a spray 'fizz' or mousse. It gave really nice definition. I also really liked the L'Oreal Studio Line Pumping Curls spray and also their Springing Curls Mousse. You can pretty much use any sort of gel... spray gel for a lighter hold, or a regular gel for more hold and a more 'wet' look. I really like BigSexyHair blow dry volumizing Gel, and Hair Toys (by Farouk) Enviro 54 Photo Op hair spray. Great volume, and awesome flexibility - but not stiff or sticky. Good luck and post some pics of the new do' !

Reaction score
for curly hair, i suggest the Aura hypo allergenic gel from sally's!! Heck, I suggest this to anyone! This is fragrance, silicone free, and gives you the softest hold ever. non-sticky. feels GREAT!

ok, and that's all!

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions! Oh boy I don't even know where to start. Hmm well I probably start with a hair cut. It has been so difficult to find someone who knows what to do with curly hair. Luckily I have a neighbor with my same hair that is a hairdresser. And then it is going to be so much fun trying out all the different products!!

Reaction score
Oh yeah a good haircut is key! Last year I wanted those long side swept bangs that everyone had...well the hairdresser I went to cut them in and gave me a cut that looked fabulous when I straightened it...but really bad when I wore it curly! You gotta find a stylist that knows your hair! And I bet it's even better if their hair is just like yours!

Latest posts