Straight Lashes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Straight lashes, I have them and I hate them lol.I use a she umera eyelash curler and currently Benefit's They're Real. But everytime I curl them and apply mascara, they fall 5 minutes later.Mascara recommendations please? One's that curl really well preferably.

Ahhhhh! I have extremely straight lashes and have been wondering how to keep the curl to hold for longer, I have so many eyelash curlers and way too much mascara. I've tried everything! And I mean absolutely everything. I've simply gave up with trying to make my eyelashes curl, although I have heard that some salons do eyelash perms!

Try the technique in the video below. While I haven't tried it, I've heard from some who have and claim it works well.

Carol

Thanks for that video, Carol. That's actually a pretty neat application trick, I haven't seen that before.  Similar idea to the fan brush technique, but the metal teeth is a way to get less product on at a time and force the hairs to separate too.

Hi Ladies!

I have a couple of tricks to resolve this dilemma.  

First, use a higher end curler that has a silicone insert instead of rubber. Good examples are curlers by Japonesque or Shu Uemura (my personal favorite). This is easier on your lashes and holds the curl longer without as much crimping.  

Second, when selecting a mascara go for something that is wax based. The heavier wax base will hold your lashes in place, like gel does for hair.  Water based mascaras will let out the curl.  Almost all waterproof and washable waterproof mascaras are wax based.  My go- to is Cover Girl's Remarkable Washable Waterproof Mascara

Cheers,

Chris 

I love my Shu! What I have to do is curl my lashes after I have moisturized (or before is fine too lol) and then wait until the very end of applying eyes/face to apply my mascara. For some reason giving my lashes a chance to stay curled with no product helps keep the curl. Otherwise they fall.

Thank you for sharing that video, Carol! I'm going to try that technique on my own lashes - I just need to get one of those little metal combs first.

Originally Posted by TeresaDouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for sharing that video, Carol! I'm going to try that technique on my own lashes - I just need to get one of those little metal combs first.

I have a shorter metal comb that was on the end of a Sonia Kashuk mascara that I bought from Target.  (I had bought it for the metal comb, but Sonia Kashuk is widely seen as a "pretty good brand" for Target/drug store level products.)  I'm not sure if they sell it but if you have a hard time finding a metal comb, you might look at the Sonia Kashuk mascaras (mine was a squarish tube with a clear cap covering the metal teeth portion)

Have you ever tried the Dior Iconic Extreme mascara? It's a curling mascara that is seriously amazing! I swear by it, I never got so many compliments on my lashes before I started using it.

Originally Posted by Chris Elias28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Second, when selecting a mascara go for something that is wax based. The heavier wax base will hold your lashes in place, like gel does for hair.  Water based mascaras will let out the curl.  Almost all waterproof and washable waterproof mascaras are wax based.
I absolutely recommend this. My lashes are stick straight and only waterproof mascaras work for me. Even then, not all are great but my favorite that I keep rebuying is Maybelline falsies mascara in waterproof.  I'm using the shisiedo lash curler.

I would consider myself an expert on this topic. I have stick straight and thin lashes but I believe I've finally found something that works. There are a lot of steps, so...bear with me.

1. I first curl my lashes with a heated eyelash curler. I'm currently using the 'Diorshow Heated Eyelash Curler' ($25, at Sephora). But I also really love the 'Blinc Heated Eyelash Curler' ($25, Blinc website).

2. I go over that curl with my Shiseido Eyelash curler (the gun metal color, it's a newer version). This particular curler works so much better for me than Shu Uemura's, but it really depends on your eye/lid shape.

3. Use a WATERPROOF mascara. Covergirl's Lashblast waterproof is probably my favorite mascara I've ever used (including high end, low end, etc). It holds my curl forever, no smudging, but it gets a little messy. I also like the Maybelline One-By-One, but it doesn't hold my curl/thicken as well as Covergirl.

I'll be honest, it takes a while. But my lashes stay perfect all day, and I think it's worth it. And yes, I do this every single day. Haha #beautyjunkieproblems

I use waterproof mascara, then heat up my metal lash curler slightly with a hair dryer. Easy. 

I have alway been told not to curl my lashes after applying mascara but if you heat up the eyelash curler the mascara doesn't stick to the metal and no hairs will pull out.

In my experience this has never hurt or broken my lashes. Its worth a shot!

oh, one other thing I've tried (not as conventional as the mascara suggestions)

I've used eyelash lengthening serums before.  (I've used GrandeLash MD and I'm now testing out LashX by Mandy)

What I found out happens to me is the two months later when my lashes are super long, that my upper lashes will hit my bottom lashes while my eyes are closed (when I'm sleeping) and since they're so long and thicker, they'll actually hit against each other and push each other apart into a slightly natural curl.  (Not as big of a curl as the screenshot in the video posted above, but a lot more than what I'm normally used to on my own.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Chris Elias28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Second, when selecting a mascara go for something that is wax based. The heavier wax base will hold your lashes in place, like gel does for hair.  Water based mascaras will let out the curl.  Almost all waterproof and washable waterproof mascaras are wax based.

I absolutely recommend this. My lashes are stick straight and only waterproof mascaras work for me. Even then, not all are great but my favorite that I keep rebuying is Maybelline falsies mascara in waterproof.  I'm using the shisiedo lash curler.
Btw, I just started using Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base underneath Benefits They're Real mascara & it holds the curl. I've been testing a lot of my sample mascaras. I can finally after 10 years of wearing mascara use nonwaterproof formulas!

Latest posts

Back