Stress and illness... the story of my life

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been sick all August it seems like. Little things seem to come up every day. Now that I'm over the PMS I've got stomach problems because I accidentally ate some dairy and I'm lactose intolerant. I know that part of the problem is that I'm so stressed, and I don't physically cope with stress well. I'm thinking that maybe if i wasn't so stressed my body would be able to deal with all these little things better.

So what is your favorite stress relief?

I like hot baths with a good book

a pedicure

getting little household chores done so I can feel a little accomplished

exercise (when I'm not doubled over with stomach cramps!)

What does everyone else like to do when feeling stressed??

my stress relief is my bf... he's the only one who can truly calm me down when i'm completely stressed out (like i've been all summer).... anything else is just a quick fix and then i'm stressed again after it's done - like shopping makes me mometarily happy when i'm stressed but then that's over... i'm back down.... what really kills it is that i'm really good at calming everyone else down but i can't do it for myself... so that makes for a very sad girl very often....
icon_cry.gif

Hang in there!

My stress relievers are:

Hot bath with the lights off and some candles burning

Spa Pedicure

Eating (although I'm trying to get out of that habit)

sorry you are so stressed!!!!i know how you feel ,with two lil ones sometimes its hard to get a thought to your self.

I like to listen to music when i am stressed out.i play it loud and then i sing my heart out,that actually makes me feel a whole lot better!!!!!!I also go out dancing with girlfriends, that seems to do the trick!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

frown.gif
sorry you aren't feeling well.

mine are :

shopping! lol

eating chocolate or ice cream
smile.gif

Since grad school consumes my life, anything that is not school related is a stress reliever for me! Logging onto MUT and other websites, going out for pizza, snuggling with hubby on the couch, long showers, even household chores! Anything to take my mind of all the work I have to do!

Although I'll admit that sometimes I just have to cry, too, and in that case hubby is always there for me :icon_love: And I always feel better after I cry even though crying didn't actually accomplish anything to solve my problem! (Almost all of my stress is due to having too much schoolwork to do, so normally the only way I can feel better about it is to just work on it! My life is going to feel so much easier after I graduate, lol)

However, anything that takes a long time (like shopping) is not a stress reliever for me because I can only think about how I need to be using the time working. So I have to just take a few short breaks here and there! (But when the semester's over, I always spend a full day at the mall! lol)

Thanks for all the ideas ladies!! I'm starting to pick up some more work and and getting the back pay that I'm owed, so the money stress isn't so bad right this second. I think I do need to go out dancing though or something fun like that. Life is too short for so much stress!!

i'm sorry that stress is working you over right now and i hope that you find some relief soon. have you tried journaling? i found that writing it down and getting it out of my head helps. the other thing that helps me is solitude. just sitting quietly for periods of time during the day help me to think more clearly and give me some measure of peace. remember that stress and worry can create illness so start learning to let it go!

Sorry to hear you are very stressed and with health problems, usually stress and depression are acompanied by illnesses. Is there anyone who could give you a foot massage? other than spas? My husband usually rubs and press the sole of my feet, just in the center. It's very good. Try to eat more fresh fruits and get a good sleep. Avoid watching the news nowadays because you will only find bad news. I hope that helped a little. Exercise is a good way to be more relaxed too.

How's life going for you Katy? Hope that the stress has disappeared or at least, you aren't stressed as much.

Katy, I'm sorry to hear that August wasn't too good for you. Hopefully, September will be lots better.

Taking a bath is a great stress release for me.

Also, just browsing through magazines at my home.

Let us know how you're feeling today. Did you go dancing?
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I have been sick all August it seems like. Little things seem to come up every day. Now that I'm over the PMS I've got stomach problems because I accidentally ate some dairy and I'm lactose intolerant. I know that part of the problem is that I'm so stressed, and I don't physically cope with stress well. I'm thinking that maybe if i wasn't so stressed my body would be able to deal with all these little things better.
So what is your favorite stress relief?

I like hot baths with a good book

a pedicure

getting little household chores done so I can feel a little accomplished

exercise (when I'm not doubled over with stomach cramps!)

What does everyone else like to do when feeling stressed??

*Get lost in a really good book*Organise something, like a closet or all the kitchen drawers so I feel "in control" again

*Go for a walk on the beach and remember how lucky I am to live so close to the ocean

*Spend some money, maybe $100 on something I want but don't need (don't run up your Visa or you'll just feel worse LOL)

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl Thanks for all the ideas ladies!! I'm starting to pick up some more work and and getting the back pay that I'm owed, so the money stress isn't so bad right this second. I think I do need to go out dancing though or something fun like that. Life is too short for so much stress!! Sounds like a great idea
smile.gif
Glad ur feeling better. And I agree...life is too too short for so much stress.

The end of August and September has been better for me. At least I'm not sick!! I did go out dancing a few times which was fabulous stress relief!! I highly recommend it. It doesn't have to be expensive to go out dancing either. It was maybe five bucks to get in, and then if you want a drink buy one early and sip it all night. (that reminds me I never posted my going out dancing FOTDs).

Today my stress relief will be a trip to the library.

Shopping seems to be my cure-all for everything but then that's how I got into debt in the first place so don't try that one. (Unless you have excellent self control).

1) Yoga - I just started doing yoga and I find that I feel great afterwards. Its supposed to be a great stress reliever. If you can't take a class then try to find a Yoga DVD and do it at home.

2) I started dowloading relaxation music from the Internet and it really works! I was even dozing off while listening to a preview. If you can make a tape, put headphones on, and lie down and listen to it, that is another idea.

3) Get some decaf, herb tea, (like green tea or chamomile) read your favorite magazine or browse through a vacation magazine that has lots of pictures of islands, calm water and palm trees.

4) Sometimes a brisk vigorous walk with headphones on is good to burn off any nervousness you may feel and tire yourself out. That's another one that helps me too.

Feel better!!!!

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl The end of August and September has been better for me. At least I'm not sick!! I did go out dancing a few times which was fabulous stress relief!! I highly recommend it. It doesn't have to be expensive to go out dancing either. It was maybe five bucks to get in, and then if you want a drink buy one early and sip it all night. (that reminds me I never posted my going out dancing FOTDs).Today my stress relief will be a trip to the library.

YAY! I am glad to hear that you are better. I love dancing... its definitely a stress releaser for me.

i'm glad to hear you are feeling better!!! i also am not too great at handling stress...and it often has manifested itself physically. emotional stress CAN make you physically sick!!

dancing definately does help! hanging out with friends, realizing the important things in life....

i like to buy myself flowers and put them in a vase by my bed...

i like to do yoga...

get a facial (love that one!),

buy a new outfit,

buy new shoes!

talk to my best friend (this one can REALLY help!)

talk to my mom

escape into a book

dance by yourself in your apartment to your favorite music (close the blinds!)

have a nice, stiff drink...haha!

get some extra sleep!

prayer or meditation...whatever is your thing...

unfortunately....i tend to buy clothes when i am stressed out....the worst thing of all....my pumpkin candle is helping me think ahead to fall....maybe that will help you forget about august! i'm glad you are feeling better. learning to deal with stress has been a big part of my young adult life!

jessica

I'm glad to hear you are feeling much better now.

I guess, we all have stress, except children. When I look at children playing and laughing, It made me want to go back become a child again and have no stress at all.

My stress relief would be :

listening to classical music,

reading great books,

shop for something that will make me feel better,

playing with my dogs.

And of course HUGs
smile.gif

Crying and yelling also work for me.. and they don't cost me any $!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Another thing I do is to make something, like jewelry and what not. Looking at a finished product makes me feel better.

And I love to pamper myself when I'm stressed out, like getting a haircut/color, manicure/pedicure.

I usually avoid shopping b/c when I'm stressed out, I go all out and get even more depressed later on for spending so much money!
icon_redface.gif

I hope you feel better!

Latest posts

Back