! Suicide Help !

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
meandrob.jpg
This is me and my lil brother Rob ( after a motorbike accident! ). I love this boy with all my heart, he is like my own child. I practically raised him til he was 11 cuz our mom worked the night shift and wasnt home. My mom called me this morning to tell me he tried to kill himself last night by OD'ing on 3 kinds of pills. She has no idea where the pills came from. I guess this is all stemming from his ex-girlfriend Kaitlyn who he dated for 2 years (16-18 yrs old ) and then they broke up last year. After they broke up, he dated about 10 different girls. He was at my house just 2 days ago and told me that Kaitlyn and he were talking about getting back together, and seemed really happy. I guess that didn't happen. My mom said there was a note about how without Kaitlyn nothing makes sense, and without her, life isn't worth living. Sorry for the rant, but I am very emotional right now. So he is in the hospital, under watch for pysch evals, and I am going to see him when I am off work, but am not sure what to do. My heart says to help him and be sympathetic, but my head wants to yell and ask why he would do a stupid thing like over a girl. I do remember my "first love" and I was heartbroken too, but can't understand why he would do this. He is looking at going to school in FL this year for audio installation, has a good job currently, he has so much ahead of him! So...has anyone had someone close to them try to commit suicide - or tried themselves? How should I handle this to make sure he doesn't try again when he gets out?????

First of all, I'm so sorry this has happened. I'm not a mental health expert by any means but I think it's ok to let him know that this hurt you...just not right now. Let him get some professional help first. Its going to be difficult for you to not hover over him when he does get out. Take the first few days to just let it sink in and the professionals will tell you how to handle it. Hope everything turns out ok.

I agree with Kelly......he needs to understand the impact on the people he leaves behind....I also think that this was a cry for help, I believe those who do not want to be on this earth will make sure they do it right the first time. He needs to talk, to you, your mom and a professional and perhaps he needs some antidepressants. He needs to let it out.

I hope things get better for your family.

Thanks to you both for kind words and advice! I just talked to the nurse who is going to set up a time for me to meet with his doctor. What I'm really trippin on, is that he was just at my house 2 nights ago....I cut his hair, we watched a movie, then he left with some friends. There was nothing out of the ordinary about him.

I am very sorry for this, its really hard, I know because my mother tried to kill herself 3 times from the time I was 5 to about 23 and it was so hard. I could not understand what was going through her mind. Some people just have either an imbalance or are so emotionally sensitive they just can't handle life. Don't yell at him because he will totally shut down to you. Talk to him tell him that the only way he can truly get past this is to continue living. That life has corners and in every corner GOD has a miracle surprise. Life is very hard and bumpy but if we keep our eyes open there will be a fall of roses in our lives. Try to be his friend see if he can open up to you and then try to steer him in the right direction.

Good Luck and GOD BLESS!!!!

There is nothing I can add to what Kelly and Dee said. We are here to support you while you support him. You probably will talk to the Doc before you read this, but if you don't, ask him/her how to express your feelings about this in the best way when you talk to your brother.

I am so sorry that this happened. I have had the unfortunate experience to have someone close to me commit suicide. It was something that we didn't see coming. My advice for you is to be a sister for your brother and be there for him in every way that he needs you. This is a cry for help and you and your family should listen. I am glad that he is getting help.

Thanks all for the support and great advice! I talked to the doc yesterday, and they released him this morning. Rob is sayin it wasnt a suicide attempt, that the note was just him "working out feelings" and that he took the pills "to get happy." The MD's did find that he is ok to release and shows little signs of hurting himself, but did recommend Narcotics Anon. and counseling. He had never told me about any pill use, he says because he already knew what I would say. We talked, and I told him that I am behind him 100%, and if he needs me to go to the NA meetings with him, I can take the time off work to do so. While I am glad that the docs say he is ok, and he says he is OK; looks like we have a long journey yet ahead of us. Thanks again for all your support, friends!

I am so sorry for what you, your family and brother are going through. All I can offer is some prayer and just the advice of giving him all the love and help he needs. I hope it all works out

Glad to hear that things may be straightening out. I know you will help him and I suspect that NA will hlp a lot!

I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad your brother is safe and doing okay
hug.gif
. Keep that girl away from him, since he has been doing fine without her. Whenever she comes into the picture things get shaky. She is not a good influence on him and he needs time to heal. Get him a psychologist so he can get help and tell him you will be there for him whenever, wherever, or whatever

time he needs you. That he can talk to you about anything and everything with no shame. That you will be there 100%.

This is a tough situation, and I wish I could offer good advice, but issues like this are always delicate. Don't yell or lecture him. He's sensitive enough right now, and he's probably feeling 'stupid' or an emotion similar to that at this time. I would just hold him. Let him know that you are there for him--that you aren't going to yell at him and lecture him. I'm sure he knows that what he attempted was stupid, but for whatever reasons, he thought it was the best solution at the time. Give him time to talk to you. Keep a watchful eye on him, but don't be overbearing. Sadly, if he is serious about suicide, preventing it can be difficult. The best thing for him right now is to know that even if Kaitlyn isn't there with him, that he still has family and friends who love him to death. Literally.

Best of luck, and my prayers go out to him and his recovery.

I'm so sorry but I'm glad he's doing a bit better. I'm really in no place to give advice but my bestfriend attempted suicide when we were in high school and managed to get over the loss of a boyfriend that caused it in time. All I could do at the time was make sure she knew I love her and that I was there like a little rock no matter what. I think once she realized the impact her death would be on those around her, she found the strength to not go down that path. That's all I have to bring to the table and best of luck!

I'd definitely have someone keep an eye on him. I hope he gets over her and realizes she wasnt the one. May God be with him.

Latest posts

Back