Sun Protection

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been curious for a while about the sun protection of mineral makeup. As an Asian with skin very very prone to dark spots and pigmentation (from acne, etc.), I always use a separate sunscreen but any added sun protection is always a bonus!

So I am just wondering, out of curiosity - who here has actually *experienced* a definite level of sun protection from MMU? e.g. You usually burn, but when wearing MMU you didn't....or you always freckle, but lately when wearing MMU you haven't.

Those of you who have definite proof of its protection, what is this proof, and what is the MMU you used?

Thanks!!
smile.gif

I cant comment cause I never go out in the sun anyways --> I'm always indoors. Sorry!

hard to say because the damage from the UVA and UVB rays cannot always been seen with the naked eye. i don't go out much but i can tell i never burned when wearing mineral foundation.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif hard to say because the damage from the UVA and UVB rays cannot always been seen with the naked eye. i don't go out much but i can tell i never burned when wearing mineral foundation. true, but for example some people have age spots that show up only when they have inadequate UVA protection (this is from another beauty board)

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi! I'm asian as well and I use Everday Minerals. Even though it has added spf, I always use sunblock when I go out in the sun. I like the added protection. I know, I explained in my OP that I would never rely on it for ss but I'd be very intrigued to hear some actual proof it works!
smile.gif

I was wondering about this too. I just started using Retin-A, and I'm thinking I'll need more sunscreen than what's in my MMU.

Originally Posted by ashkash /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was wondering about this too. I just started using Retin-A, and I'm thinking I'll need more sunscreen than what's in my MMU. oh with retin-a, definitely!! i use tazorac, which is similar, and i'd never think of not using a real sunscreen....i'm just seeing if MMU will give a boost =)

Originally Posted by Daca /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think factor 15 is in mmu. well it varies per brand no? =) and most dont test, they just slap a random SPF :-/

I think mmu sun protection is not enough, I use LRP anthelios fluid 50+ under mmu...

the sun protection in MMU in my opinion is not sufficient especially if you are using Retin - A or Tazorac. I always use SPF 30 under my makeup in winter, and SPF 50 in summer.

My skin is very sensitive, with the topical retinoids, I wouldn't like to risk any dark spots on the skin.

I do not even treat MMU as a aun protection, it's makeup, it it has some SPF that's even better, but I wouldn't relly on MMU only.

hmm it seems like a lot of these responses aren't to my original post lol...I stated very clearly that I use a separate sunscreen and was never going to RELY on mineral makeup...I said that I was simply curious about whether or not anyone had any interesting experiences!

a member on a nother board I visit noted that her face did not freckle with low spf/PPD ss & mmu, while her arms, which freckle as easily, did witha high SPF/PPD ss. i was wondering if anyone else had experiences such as that...........I never said anything else

I'm no expert dizzy_lizzy but I have read that some chemical sunscreens break down or become unstable when exposed to UV radiation and can actually cause sun damage. If you google the phrase 'sunscreen can damage skin' you will find many scientific articles that explain this further.

Maybe your friend did not get freckles on her face as the titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in her mmu acted as a physical sunscreen which is more stable.

Basically in summary to have adequate sun protection you need to reapply the sunscreen throughout the day and not just in the morning under makeup.

Originally Posted by zarine /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm no expert dizzy_lizzy but I have read that some chemical sunscreens break down or become unstable when exposed to UV radiation and can actually cause sun damage. If you google the phrase 'sunscreen can damage skin' you will find many scientific articles that explain this further.Maybe your friend did not get freckles on her face as the titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in her mmu acted as a physical sunscreen which is more stable.

Basically in summary to have adequate sun protection you need to reapply the sunscreen throughout the day and not just in the morning under makeup.

thanks =)
most chemical sunscreens are stable, avobenzone is not unless specially stabilized. the body sunscreen that the other girl was using was definitely stable (la roche posay dermo peds spray).

Ok...I'm asian and before MMU I used a sunblock with SPF40 or more daily. However, the sunblock caused alot of blackheads and now with MMU, most days I just use a moisturizer with SPF15 in addition to MMU. I haven't experienced any tanning or additional freckles which I got even with my SPF 40 clinique sunblock...so I do believe that the SPF in MMU is pretty ok. Plus, w/o my sunbloco, my blackheads have reduced...ALOT...and my skin has improved.

The recent studies concerning the chemical sunscreens shows, that sometimes they may do more bad than good.

The problem is that the sunscreens are not repplied, and after some time they may cause the natural skin more exposed to the sun rays, and this refers also to the photo stable sunscreens offered by the top brands.

Dizzy Lizzy asked what is the spf of MMU and I think its around 10 - 15, however with the SPF factor it's always important how much of such sunscreen you put on your face.

In my opinion the mix of chemical sunscreen and the mineral from the makeup is perfect if you do not have time and conditions to reapply your chemical sunscreen during the day.

MMU offers protection all day until it's there not rubbed off. The protection of MMU is higher if you use more - especially in full coverage foundation. So even if your chemical sunscreen is not working properly at the end of the day, you still have mmu on.

Originally Posted by tanjls /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok...I'm asian and before MMU I used a sunblock with SPF40 or more daily. However, the sunblock caused alot of blackheads and now with MMU, most days I just use a moisturizer with SPF15 in addition to MMU. I haven't experienced any tanning or additional freckles which I got even with my SPF 40 clinique sunblock...so I do believe that the SPF in MMU is pretty ok. Plus, w/o my sunbloco, my blackheads have reduced...ALOT...and my skin has improved. thanks,w hat mmu do you use?

Originally Posted by agatapas /img/forum/go_quote.gif The recent studies concerning the chemical sunscreens shows, that sometimes they may do more bad than good.
The problem is that the sunscreens are not repplied, and after some time they may cause the natural skin more exposed to the sun rays, and this refers also to the photo stable sunscreens offered by the top brands.

Dizzy Lizzy asked what is the spf of MMU and I think its around 10 - 15, however with the SPF factor it's always important how much of such sunscreen you put on your face.

In my opinion the mix of chemical sunscreen and the mineral from the makeup is perfect if you do not have time and conditions to reapply your chemical sunscreen during the day.

MMU offers protection all day until it's there not rubbed off. The protection of MMU is higher if you use more - especially in full coverage foundation. So even if your chemical sunscreen is not working properly at the end of the day, you still have mmu on.

ty =) i wasnt really asking what the SPF is, since SPF only applies to sunscreen - something you apply heavily. a dusting of makeup doesnt really give SPF 15 even if the makeup contains it, b/c you need a certain mount for it to actually work (about 1-2 g, which is impossible with makeup)...i was just wondering if anyone from experience saw a difference w/ mmu..........do i make any sense? lol

Originally Posted by dizzy_lizzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've been curious for a while about the sun protection of mineral makeup. As an Asian with skin very very prone to dark spots and pigmentation (from acne, etc.), I always use a separate sunscreen but any added sun protection is always a bonus!
So I am just wondering, out of curiosity - who here has actually *experienced* a definite level of sun protection from MMU? e.g. You usually burn, but when wearing MMU you didn't....or you always freckle, but lately when wearing MMU you haven't.

Those of you who have definite proof of its protection, what is this proof, and what is the MMU you used?

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Ok, I do understand what your asking. I am a regular on the delphi forum; Mineral Makeup Mania - Home of the Minerally Addicted! and I do know some of the ladies wear JUST MMU; no ss or moisturizer with spf underneath.
I suggest posting on that forum for more information. Very nice helpful ladies on there that love MMU. But I do remember one lady who had a problem with brown patches but had a lot of problems with sunscreens. She posted that she wore three thin layers of foundation daily and her skin looked much better than when she trying to wear a sunscreen. I know there is others that rely on MMU for protection; but she stood out in my mind.

JMO, but I wear a moisturizer with spf everyday. I wear MMU over it most days (sometimes not on the weekend). I do suggest wearing a spf lotion if you can under the MMU. The MMU is an extra layer of protection; protection would be greater with a heavier formula and extra layers.

I notice a difference. I'm very pale and get freckles within an hour if I'm not wearing sunscreen. Now I just use a good coating of mineral makeup, and it tends to work for occasional sun exposure (tan arms, pale face). If I know I'm going to be outside a lot in the summer I'll wear sunblock, but it really tends to irritate my skin so most days I go with minerals and a hat.

SPF is really dependent on the concentration of Zinc Oxide, and Titanium dioxide in the formula and the level of coverage your're going for. If it's covering- it's offering you some protection- but here in the US you have to get very expensive testing done on the formulas to ensure that it lives-up to it's SPF rating, and there are other manufacturing considerations that the FDA makes you follow- which is why a lot of the smaller brands don't sell their products with an SPF rating.

Latest posts

Back