sunless tanner help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so far ive tried three in two days, and none of them have provided even the tiniest hint of color! its making me nuts. i just want something that will give me a bit of color, because my complexion is very yellow and is sallow in the winter.

so far ive tried:

banana boat color indicator soft medium blend sunless tanning creme

l'oreal dermo expertise sublime bronze self tanning lotion in medium deep

exuviance self tanner

(all of this was tested in little patches on the inside of my forearm.) i started with the banana boat because i was afraid of having too dramatic a result. nothing. then i did the loreal because i thought i needed something darker to show up. no effect, but it stank to high heaven. then i tried the exuviance. nothing. i thought id have a better result with a higher priced self tanner.

what the heck do i need to do to get one to show up? i know how to apply it, etc. do you have a brand to suggest that will actually work?

Ok if you want to go HIGH-END St. Tropez & Fake Bake are very popular here in Ireland. I also use Lancome's Bronzing Gel for the face (can't remember real name!) & find that great. For LOW-END try Rimmel Sunshimmer Tanning lotion for face & body (dont know if ye have it in the US though)

I always find tinted sunless tanners work best too because you can see if you're gonna have streaks.

HTH
biggrin.gif

They sell a kit in Ulta by "Flawless" - I picked it up once on sale... it comes with an exfoliator, self tanner, after-tan extender & blacklight!! lol The self-tanner looks white/clear, but under the blacklight it glows! So you can see where you put it... & how thickly you applied it. I'm pretty olive skinned... but even I saw results in a few hours! I just can't be bothered doing it all the time... LOL

FLT-101t.jpg

Another good one a friend got at a trade show is "SUN Giese" it's tinted - so you see where you apply, and it lasts a long time.

P8698_l.jpg

thanks guys. ill def try those out when im not so disgusted with self tanners. lol. janelle, i know exactly the one youre talking about. laura, we do have rimmel here, but ive never seen the tanner. ill have to look harder!

i tried out another one last night. its called comodynes, and its a cloth thats soaked with tanner. one is supposed to be enough to do the whole body. the concept is good, but it sucked. i had enough to do both of my legs, then i guess tha tanning power ran out, because the rest of the area i covered didnt tan. its streaky as hell, but the subtle color is good. i exfoliated well, and the parts it took to the best are the backs of my ankles. i have dry patches there. so i have streaky legs where the tan stops above the knee, and i have orange ankles. i look hot.

I've tried tanning wipes before and they are so bad. They streak so easily.. Hope you find the perfect tan soon Jasmine coz its such a pain in the ass trying them all out, isn't it?
biggrin.gif

Its best to test them out on your legs now... whie you're still wearing pants - b/c I've had orange, streaky "Muppet" legs before - and it wasn't pretty! lol
icon_redface.gif

The only self tanner I have ever had good results with is Tomas, they started advertising it years ago on TV, I rarely buy anything off those infomercials because I just don't trust them, but now they sell it at Sally Beauty Supply and Walgreens soI started using it. If you buy it at Walgreens you have to get the kit which consist of a body scrub and the tanner, since I already have a bunch of body scrub stuff I buy it at Sally now where I can just get the tanner, I think it's like $12 but a bottle will last quite a while. I usually just exfoliate in the shower and then put the Toma on, it goes on pretty easy and since it's tinted you can see where it's going, I leave it on overnight and then shower in the morning, for me it just gives a nice subtle tan that is just right. It's really dark looking when you put it on but that is just the tint for application, when you rinse it off most of that goes away, it also last better than most of the others I've tried, I maybe use it once a week. Hope you find one you like
wink.gif

thanks reija, ill look for that one too.
smile.gif

janelle, yep. thats exactly what im trying to do. get this figured out on my legs before i put it anywhere else. then again, by the time i find one that works and get the application down pat, itll be warm out again.

well, after trying out about 4 more less than memorable self tanners that didnt work, i finally got sun dark sensation in very dark.

it actually did give some noticeable color, but it doesnt look exactly like what my skin looks like when its naturally tan.

i tested it out on the entire inner surface of my forearm about 3 hours ago. i liked that the tinted formula showed me where it went. i also did a patch test on my leg. my arm is nice an brown, but my leg is practically gray in color. (i didnt exfoliate of moisturize my leg, though. i just wanted to do a quick color test.)

its not too stinky, and im amazed that something finally worked. im going to use it tonight on my face, upper chest and arms. no one except BF sees the rest this time of year.

im glad that its not orange, but the gray effect on my dry leg was icky. also, my palm and fingers were instantly colored. i washed it off immediately after applying. literally not a minute later. i had to exfoliate really hard and my hand is still tinted.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse well, after trying out about 4 more less than memorable self tanners that didnt work, i finally got sun dark sensation in very dark.
it actually did give some noticeable color, but it doesnt look exactly like what my skin looks like when its naturally tan.

i tested it out on the entire inner surface of my forearm about 3 hours ago. i liked that the tinted formula showed me where it went. i also did a patch test on my leg. my arm is nice an brown, but my leg is practically gray in color. (i didnt exfoliate of moisturize my leg, though. i just wanted to do a quick color test.)

its not too stinky, and im amazed that something finally worked. im going to use it tonight on my face, upper chest and arms. no one except BF sees the rest this time of year.

im glad that its not orange, but the gray effect on my dry leg was icky. also, my palm and fingers were instantly colored. i washed it off immediately after applying. literally not a minute later. i had to exfoliate really hard and my hand is still tinted.

Yeah, the SUN brands are usually pretty effective. You've gone with the gusto & straight for the Very Dark, huh? LOL Usually, with sun - you can layer it to build up color - but I don't know if I'd do that with the very dark... my friend did that - and it was DARK!
tongue.gif

i tested the dark, and it did squat. the very dark gives me the tiniest hint of color. lol. its not like im even that dark!

im going to shower, exfoliate and tan tonight. im a little worried about getting even color on my face neck and ears, but i dont have to work again until sunday, so i guess i can exfoliate several times until then if something goes wrong!

thanks, nydoll. ive got it down pat now. i mix some of the sun giese dark tanner with some moisturizer, and it does the perfect color without getting streaky.

Originally Posted by dove Help! I don't appear to get a tan after using the sunless tanner!
I followed what I was supposed to do...

I exfoliated..... and then dried.. then added tanner generously, waited for a few hours, and still no colour. I waited a further 8 hours before washing it away and proceeded to apply a second coat. Another 8 hours.. Little result!

What is happening?

And, i live in a humid area... will some sweat affect the effectivness of self-tanner, and since it is humid here, it will evaporate ( the tanner will evaporate ) slower.. so does that affect effectiveness too?
icon_neutral.gif

a single drop of perspiration or water will affect the self tanner, yes. i once did my tanner in the bathroom when it was hot, and my upper lip sweated. awoke the next morning to a tan face with a white mustache.
i tried several self tanners before i found one that showed on my skin, and im not very dark to begin with. now that i know more about self tanners, i recommend st. tropez, fake bake, or sun giese. brands like neutrogena and even bain de soleil just dont seem to have enough of the active ingredient to put down color in one application.

SHADOWTANS IS MY HG.....

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse so far ive tried three in two days, and none of them have provided even the tiniest hint of color! its making me nuts. i just want something that will give me a bit of color, because my complexion is very yellow and is sallow in the winter.
so far ive tried:

banana boat color indicator soft medium blend sunless tanning creme

l'oreal dermo expertise sublime bronze self tanning lotion in medium deep

exuviance self tanner

(all of this was tested in little patches on the inside of my forearm.) i started with the banana boat because i was afraid of having too dramatic a result. nothing. then i did the loreal because i thought i needed something darker to show up. no effect, but it stank to high heaven. then i tried the exuviance. nothing. i thought id have a better result with a higher priced self tanner.

what the heck do i need to do to get one to show up? i know how to apply it, etc. do you have a brand to suggest that will actually work?

I really like Jergens Natural Glow (new this spring) and have been using for about 6 weeks. Only thing is that I have been using it on my arms and lower legs and now that it is 90 degrees, I will be showing more skin.

So today, I did my first airbrush tan of the season. It wasn't the first time I have ever done it but it is the first time this year. I went to a different place and she really seemed more knowledable about this.

It was expensive but if you buy a package it saves you $5.00 each time. I had just about talked myself into the tanning beds when one of the doctors who I work for (he tans himself all the time) said he is not against tanning but since I am FAIR skinned and Blonde hair, he would not suggest it for me. Of course it would be cheaper.

I did have to get naked except for bottoms but since I work in an OBGYN office, I am no longer modest. I was sprayed by another women who says she sprays 10 people per day and she didn't seem bothered by it either. So far, the color looks fab! It looks as if I have tanned all winter but I know that in 2 weeks, I will be back again. I will use my jergens lotion in about 5 days to extend the color.

Lucky Me - I have a silly question.
icon_redface.gif

Lets say I want an all-over spray air brush tan. So I would do it naked, BUT - I don't want my - uh - hair - to be spray tanned - if you get my drift.
icon_redface.gif

How do they get around that?
icon_question.gif

OMG.
icon_eek.gif
Maybe if I have this done I'll just wear underwear. I don't think I can bring myself to use hair gel "there" and then stand there waiting for someone to spray me. How embarrassing - ok forget this idea.
icon_eek.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_lol.gif

Both of the places I have went to to get the airbrush tan require that you wear some sort of bottom. It does not have to be much of a bottom, but has to be something. The place I went to yesterday said you must at least wear a skimpy thong. I think that having my boobs exposed was enough. I can not imagine that I or the sprayer would be comfortable spraying down under.

Also, The beads of spray do stick more to any hair growth. I would highly recommend that you shave before you do any hair that you dont want sprayed. As far as the hair on your head, you can either pull it up or wear a disposable shower cap.

Let me know if any other ?'s.

Originally Posted by dove your hair does indeed get tanner.... but the effect is nt obvious...
however, i wish to ask a question pertaining to sunless tanning.. :

will oil affect how much tan i get? I have oily skin and its hard for me to maintain oil-free complexion when i tan............
icon_cry.gif

Actually, I would thing that oily skin would do better because they make you REALLY moisturize. The drier your skin is, the tan looks like crap. They tell you to moisturize everyday reall well because it makes the tan last longer. I suppose your skin probably looks dry and flaky with the tan spray just as it would without the spray if you dont moisturize except the flakes are tan color.

Latest posts

Back