Sunless Tanning lotion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can you recommend a good sunless tanning lotion that doesn't smell and doesn't turn your skin orange? I am fair skinned and have a problem finding a good sunless tanning cream/lotion.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Suziqq322

I have jergens, but don't really use it. I still think it smells really bad, and that's why i've only used a handful of times. But alot of people here love it, and the smell might not bother you

Originally Posted by Trisha i dont know if you get Johnsons holiday Skin where you are, but they just released a version for the face which i think will be more gentle!
they have one for fair skin and one for medium skin x

I looked this product up before, and I think it is only released in the UK/Europe...sad, because I heard good things about it...
I have also heard good things about Olay's Quench reviver...very similar in idea with Jergens.

I have the Jergens, but I still can't get the application down; I still get streaks.

I also have the Savage Bronze foam tanner (@ Sally's), which is a very nice brown color, but kinda smells like burnt chocolate...

I have Coppertone Endless Summer Gradual Tan. I love it. It's for all skin types and it does exactly as it says. The scent is good as well.

I tried Jergens and I thought the smell was very strong, and it took FOREVER to dry. lol Also put me into the orange category as well.
icon_evil.gif
I had high hopes for this one where it darkens gradually. I would love to find one that didn't make me orange
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by eightthirty I have Coppertone Endless Summer Gradual Tan. I love it. It's for all skin types and it does exactly as it says. The scent is good as well. Hey eightthirty -
Great recommendation, I think I'll try that one, I'll see if Walmart carries that today. I'm sure it's not too expensive either, being a coppertone product. Thanks for the suggestion.

Suzi

Originally Posted by suziqq322 Hi All,
Can you recommend a good sunless tanning lotion that doesn't smell and doesn't turn your skin orange? I am fair skinned and have a problem finding a good sunless tanning cream/lotion.

Suziqq322

I am very pale, and have been using Clarins Self-Tanning Instant Gel and it is wonderful. It is pricier, but it's better than waiting for the "streaks" I get from other tanners to fade away. I also just bought the Jergen's and tried it once and it seems nice, too. They both don't go on too strong.

Originally Posted by **Jen** /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi All,

Suziqq322

i am really liking this l'oreal Sublime Bronze. People compliment me on my skin tone fairly often -hehe. I got a great tan in summer and wanted to keep it up artifically. one tips I can give on using a tanner are:
1.)sorry, ladies, but if you've no tan at all, (I called it my "base" tan) it may be difficult to make it look very natural. If you cannot take sun at all, using less tanner each time you use it... is much MORE, use it a bit at a time sparingly a few times in a month rather than globbing a lot on at once...your skin will have time to make a more gradual change minus that "orangey" hue.

2.) I have tons of disposable rubber gloves (like at the doctors office) and I use one pair several times rinisng them out after I am done, and tossing them after I've used them for a few applications. I wear them so I don't stain the delicate pale underside of my hands and arms!

3.) while you shower, do use a loofah on your body and a pumice on your feet, the dry skin tends to create unsightly dark patches where there should be none. ~exfoliate!~ It will make it all come out way more even in skin tone.

4.) Be very sparing of the lotion around your ankles, elbows, knees and wrists. these parts have naturally tougher and more dry skin so they are prone to becoming discolored more easy than say your leg or tummy. use some but barely any on your face and neck as these discolor easily too.....be very careful of any hairline or natiural line in the skin, as these folds tend to suck up too much lotion and create a dark line...yuck!

5.) be sure to slather the cream everywhere and lightly, not with a heavy handedness. If you forget and concentrate on one area too much it will be darker than the rest...whoops! Don't even forget to put a dab of cream on your chest, behind, tummy, inside the thighs, and the lower back. To do your upper back it's tough to reach but just use sweeping motions with your hands like u are trying to rub your shoulders more and you will cover it rather well.

6.) Be sure to use the cream preferably after you have had a shower and dried off fairly well, remaining nude as your cream dries. I put on a pair of thong undies too soon after I'd used the lotion and i wound up having a brown streak across my back ewwy! on the bright side my"line" didn't take long to dissapear.

7.) after I am done using the cream i almost always grab some tissue and swipe it over my body in areas that tend to want to discolor, its like dabbing off excess makeup in a sense and wiping with tissue seems to help ensure my color is even and does not overdone or blotchy when done.

8.) after I remove my rubber gloves I wash my hands rather well concentrating most on the palms and under the wrists to make sure i dont get brown stains instead of a fake tan line above my hands...hehe.

hope this helps dears!

~~mela

I don't think it is possible for a self tanner to not smell, because the main tanning ingredient in the self tanner mixes with the chemicals in your skin and makes that icky smell (thats what I heard).

I use:

*Clarins instant tanning gel

*Bath and body works 24/7 radiant moisture gradual tanning body lotion in CALM-lotus blossom, it smells amazing, delievers a good tan, and when you find it on sale, is at a really good price!

Originally Posted by turtlo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think it is possible for a self tanner to not smell, because the main tanning ingredient in the self tanner mixes with the chemicals in your skin and makes that icky smell (thats what I heard).I use:

*Clarins instant tanning gel

*Bath and body works 24/7 radiant moisture gradual tanning body lotion in CALM-lotus blossom, it smells amazing, delievers a good tan, and when you find it on sale, is at a really good price!

So they all smell? I like Jergens ok but the smell is awful. I keep looking for one that does not smell so bad, right now I have a closet full of stinky self tanners.

i think they personally all have a smell. the one i use that doesnt turn you orange is estee lauder. its a little pricey ($28) but worth every bit if it doesnt turn you orange.

I'd recommend an aerosol formula with a color guide. Aerosol formulas have little to no development odor and dry almost instantly. You'll know if it has a color guide because the bottle will say something like "Instant Color" or "Instant Bronzer". The guide will allow you to see where you've applied which is very helpful if you're a ST newbie. Make sure that the bottle can be sprayed from any angle; this will make it much easier to get your back. It will say this on the bottle.

Your skin will turn orange if you use a formula that has too high a percentage of DHA (the chemical that reacts with your skin) for your skin tone. I am a pale girl with a very yellow skin tone so I can successfully use ST's marked "Dark" without turning orange. In fact, ST's that are "Light" turn me yellow (a sign there is not enough DHA in the product for me). Depending on your skintone it may not be possible for you to build up a dark sunless tan. Try applying several layers of a "Light" product over several days if you find you tend to turn orange. Or, try a gradual sunless tanner. (For me, these ensure a week's worth of yellow skin. Not good.)

Honestly, there is no difference between various brands of self tanner (be they drugstore or department store) other than the carrier liquid and the packaging. All ST's darken your skin with DHA and it will smell funny as it reacts with your skin. Period. I've had great results with the L'Oreal Sublime line. I really like the dark gel without color guide and the aerosol without color guide because they are not greasy and dry quickly.

Also Sunless.com -- Your Sunless Tanning Guide has a great series of articles on ST application. I hope this helps!

I was considering buying the L'Oreal any angle spray yesterday. I already have a very good tan - but I want to be darker! I didn't know if it would actually make my real tan lighter though lol. If I got dark does anyone think it would make me darker or not even make a difference?

I use Neutrogena Sunless Tan Foam. I'm extremly pale and this is the only one I've used and got tunz of compliments on! Even my mom (whos a tan fanatic, beautiful skin, and is very critical about my skin and paleness) Loved it! She said WOW! I haven't seen you so tan in years, you look gorgeus, a lovley brown! LOL

So it doesn't leave me orange!

I've used it about 8 times probably! (8 new bottles over the years that is)

I've also tried Aveeno tinted moisturizer, that gradually builds up color, I didn't see that much of a difference when using it, I tried it on my face ( I'm afriad to look too dark with Neutrogena, then my foundation won't match)

and it made me break out badly! I'll never do that again!

I'm going to continue to use Neutrogena (though I'm up for trying others) but not Aveeno!

at least never again on my face! If anyone knows of a light face tanning product, I'm all ears!

Something for sensitive skin, that won't clog my pores!

l'oreal sublime bronze-- they also have a great one for the face-- and if you want a gradual tanning lotion, I recommend Olay Touch of Sun. It's pretty much fool proof and has a nice scent
smile.gif

okay im currently trying out vaseline glow lotion....OMG....its sooo streakyy!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back