Sunscreen!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Lakme sunscreen lotion is best now a days, use it 45 spf, its works effectively.

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is mineral sunscreen the same as physical sunscreen?

What's the difference between mineral SPF and physical SPF?
I'm not an expert but I think I know a fair deal about sunscreens, and from my knowledge, physical sunscreen is the same thing as mineral sunscreen. 

There are currently two types of sunscreen: mineral that usually contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that make a physical layer on top of the skin to deflect the UV rays (hence the other name for it: physical), and chemical (like the aforementioned oxybenzone) that absorbs the rays instead. The main problem with physical/mineral sunscreens is that they are usually thick and streaky, and often leave white residue on the skin and can sometimes clog pores. But personally I think they're a much safer choice over chemical sunscreens, mainly because they don't get absorbed by your body as long as you choose one that doesn't contain nanoparticles.

I just like using the neutrogena clear face liquid lotion sunscreen in SPF 30. It protects both UVA and UVB and it says its oil free and wont cause break outs. My skin in naturally really oily so my face is slick after application but it hasn't caused to break out so I'm really happy about this sunscreen.

Wow, just last week i'd given up on finding a mineral sunscreen... and bought a bunch of zinc and titanium dioxide powders.  Hopefully i can DIY something successfully... but it's nice know there are a few more options out there without creepy chemicals!  Thanks for the recommendations, i'll check them out!

Back