Sunscreen!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Ladies!

I'm fed up with using traditional sunscreen and I think I want to switch to a mineral based version. Which is your favorite?  I've seen so many brands! Everything from Physicians Formula to colorscience.

I have porcelain skin with lots of red undertones, oily (especially around my nose) and luckily my skin isn't too sensitive!

I would recommend looking at the active ingredients. Typical mineral sunscreen ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. There are many on the market, but no brands pop in mind...

Most sunscreens nowadays use a combination of both. Be careful as they tend to be thicker and a little bit harder to blend when they contain a lot of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Organic brands usually have physical sunscreens, but they are pricier, and they do tend to leave white streaks, although i've heard they improved that last point.

What's the best sun screen for the face. I am using BB cream from The Face Shop and they say it has sun screen. Is that already enough?

What is the rating of the bb cream? When you apply another sunscreen, it doesn't add up. SPF 20 on bb cream, spf45 on a sunscreen doesn't make it SPF 65, it just becomes what ever is higher, so it'd be SPF 45. My Missha bb is SPF 45 so it's enough on its own.

Yes a BB cream with SPF is enough, most BB creams are over SPF20, some all the way up to 50! Choose one with natural ingredients and a high SPF.

Try Jason Earth’s Best Organic Mineral Based Sun Block.It includes Mineral  based Sunblock SPF30+ high UV protection.

Hey be careful! It's a good idea to add spf to make up like foundation/BB cream/tinted moisturizer/ loose powder... 

But for sunscreens, required amount to get adequate protection is about 1ml for face, that's about a 1cm cube (cream) or two quarter size (liquid). When using half of the required amount, the real spf will be the square root of labeled spf (eg. spf50 to spf7)

No one can use that much of foundations or other base make up! So spf in make up is just an extra...

I don't know which "traditional" sunscreen you are using. It's better to stick to it/ switch to another one but never drop all sunscreens.

I had a new discovery in physical sunscreen today: the burnout eco-sensitive sunscreen!  It has the best texture among the countless sunscreens I've tried.

I had great results with Avene and La Roche-Posay sunscreens. I think they are both formulated with sensitive skin in mind.

I have used Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream which I liked, but I am trying to switch to products with a few less chemicals in them. Lately I use either Physician's Formula Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 or Yes to Cucumber Daily Calming Moisturizer SPF 30. A couple weeks ago I also bought the BareMinerals Ready Foundation with SPF 20.

For my body I use Burt's Bees, because it is the only thing I have tried so far that contains no chemical sunscreens (I am allergic to those), and only have titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as the sunscreens. But I recently came across Alba Botanica's mineral sunscreens and one of them is vanilla and SPF 30. I need to do more research before I try it, but it looks like a good option. And I think it is $11 or $12 a tube, so not too pricey.

I use Garnier Oil-free BB Cream. and in the sun Four hours past- no shine or grease and my skin looked healthier as the BB cream was absorbed by my skin. This Garnier BB cream is exactly what I would want to use in Summer because it's easy and because of its SPF 15.

Look for a sunscreen that contains at least one of the following ecamsule, avobenzone, oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, sulisobenzone, or zinc oxide. Any of these ingredients helps to protect us from UVB and UVA radiation and they are pretty harmless.

Here is the list of sunscreens that contain these ingredients http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/all-sunscreens/ .............. Hope it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by marrymemakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look for a sunscreen that contains at least one of the following ecamsule, avobenzone, oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, sulisobenzone, or zinc oxide. Any of these ingredients helps to protect us from UVB and UVA radiation and they are pretty harmless.

Here is the list of sunscreens that contain these ingredients http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/all-sunscreens/ .............. Hope it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I would advise against oxybenzone, some studies show that it accumulates in your body and messes with your endoctrine system. Japan already restricted its use in cosmetics, but USA companies still use it very often, even high end brands.

Is mineral sunscreen the same as physical sunscreen? I thought it was, but 2 days ago I was watching a video on YouTube where the girl went on about the importance of sunscreen and showed the physical sunscreen she uses for her face. I asked if she had any suggestions for mineral SPF for face that's not tinted. She replied that she has no idea and she's never used a mineral sunscreen. My thoughts were, "Hello! You just held one up and talked about it. And you claim to know about the different kinds of SPF." What's the difference between mineral SPF and physical SPF? I do know chemical SPF makes me breakout really bad.

Look for a sunscreen that contains at least one of the following ecamsule, avobenzone, oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, sulisobenzone, or zinc oxide. Any of these ingredients helps to protect us from UVB and UVA radiation and they are pretty harmless. Here is the list of sunscreens that contain these ingredients http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/all-sunscreens/ .............. Hope it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I would advise against oxybenzone, some studies show that it accumulates in your body and messes with your endoctrine system. Japan already restricted its use in cosmetics, but USA companies still use it very often, even high end brands.
OMG. Yes, leave off the oxybenzone. I'm new at trying to find a better sunscreen, so I've been finding reviews and stuff online, and one thing that keeps popping up is that oxybenzone bad for you.

Latest posts

Back