Synthetic brushes better for skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mod notice: Just a heads up that this is an old thread that was brought back to life.  Some of the information in this thread may still be helpful, but keep in mind that many of the posts and poster opinions may be outdated!

I read on somewhere that animal hair brushes can cause acne and that synthetic brushes are better for the acne-prone. Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks!

I dont think they are any better for your skin, it's how clean you keep them =)

I'm glad you asked this question. I've been wondering the same myself. I think I read in one thread about using a synthetic brush for concealer or something.
unknw.gif

My experience has been that DIRTY brushes causes irritation and acne. I have both synthetic and natural brushes. For concealers, foundations and lining synthetics are great. The only synthetic brushes I have ever loved are by Tony and Tina....a now defunct line. I still truly believe that natural brushes blend shadows and blush better. My synthetic brushes don't seem to pick up color and blend it seamlessly, like my natural ones.

you should use synthetic brushes for wet/oily products because otherwise the natural brush will get all funky...
frown.gif

natural fibers harbor bacteria, synthetic do not

and some natural brushes are also scratchy and irritating

or you could be allergic to the animal it came from, especially if you have sensitive skin

I think it really depends on where you get your brushes as well. I have a signature minerals synthetic kabuki, and it is VERY scratchy, but my natural and synthetic kabuki's from AN are amazing, and just like OHD said, like velvet. The denser and more packed together your hairs on the brushes are, and the mobility of the bristles (able to move back and forth easily) can also be an issue. With me, the extremely dense one's cause irritation more than anything.

I have normal, but acne prone skin, and I have never had problems based on synthetic vs. natural.

I do agree with Amanda though, natural brushes blend e/s and blush VERY well.

somehow i prefer synthetic fibres, seems to give smoother application imo =P

Ha! So glad I found this thread... I was asking myself the same question. Which one is better synthetic or natural?  I have both brush types and tend to use the natural brushes more.

Either way, bottom line - keep them clean!  Now Questions is... what do you clean YOUR brushes with?

I've been getting into synthetic brushes lately. And they do seem to give a smoother application and feel softer on the skin. I dunno, I need to collect some more then start doing a comparison.

I use Cinema Secrets brush cleaner for spot cleaning and pink soap for deep cleaning.

I will have to agree about synthetic brushes being better for foundation/concealer/cream blush. There's absolutely no shedding, they do feel softer, and the application is more even. I now only use synthetic ones to apply cream or liquid products. I use Louise Young and Illamasqua brushes and I'm very happy with both brands.

Which is better? Depends. It depends on the quality of both the natural and the synthetic. It depends on who makes it and it depends on how well you care for your brushes. I like both and use both.

I dont know if they're better for your skin but there are definitely advantages to synthetic brushes. They don't absorb as much product as a natural hair brush, therefore they're easier to clean so they won't harbor as much bacteria and you waste less product. Natural hair bristles are more prone to breakage. Think of your own hair, the more it's brushed, washed, dried and styled the more suseptable it is to damage. It's the same with the hair on the brushes. No matter which brushes you use, keep them clean and buy good qualiy. That doesn't always mean expensive. Some of the best brushes I own came from walgreens and were less than $10. Another thing to consider is the cruelty free aspect of many brands of synthetic brushes, such as Eco tools.

^ I picked up a cheap set from Walmart years ago, late 90s maybe, and I still have those brushes and use them often. Unfortunately a good majority have seen better days. Yes, they synthetic. Most of my newer stuff actually are artist brushes and the natural fiber brushes are far less expensive (with coupons of course). I'm curious to the Eco Tools and would love to get a set. Are they sold at Target?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ I picked up a cheap set from Walmart years ago, late 90s maybe, and I still have those brushes and use them often. Unfortunately a good majority have seen better days. Yes, they synthetic. Most of my newer stuff actually are artist brushes and the natural fiber brushes are far less expensive (with coupons of course). I'm curious to the Eco Tools and would love to get a set. Are they sold at Target?

You can find EcoTools at Walgreen's, Target, Wal-Mart, RiteAid, or almost any other store that carries drugstore makeup.

I dont know anything about pink soap.  I just looked it up and it says its for paint.  Is that right?  I've been using baby shampoo.  Im assuming that's better than nothing.  Is there anything that's disinfecting?? Like the blue liquid that hair stylists use on their hair brushes??

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont know anything about pink soap.  I just looked it up and it says its for paint.  Is that right?  I've been using baby shampoo.  Im assuming that's better than nothing.  Is there anything that's disinfecting?? Like the blue liquid that hair stylists use on their hair brushes??
Oh I LOVE Pink Soap and no it's not for paint. Mona Lisa's Pink Soap is a non-toxic brush soap. I've been using it for several months and LOVE it. It conditions my natural fiber brushes much better than the olive oil-dish soap concoction and get my white brushes white again (except for the ELF brown shimmer... nothing made my white brush white again after using that shadow). Mona Lisa's Pink Soap is not a disinfectant, if you want to disinfect your brushes use alcohol in between washes - that is wash your brush, disinfect then wash again. Here are a few links on it. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby.

http://www.misterart.com/g7783/Mona-Lisa-Pink-Brush-Soap.htm

http://www.allartsupplies.com/item.php?articleId=2006&gclid=CLDFuobt7acCFRFOgwod0kaacg

http://www.hofcraft.com/houston-art-and-frame.html

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/default.aspx?searchTerm=Mona+Lisa+Pink+Soap

Yup, Zadi's right about pink soap. That's why I use the CS  brush cleaner in-between washes. It's a disinfecting cleaner.

Latest posts

Back