Synthetic or Natural?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious, and wanted it all neatly contained in one thread:

Do you use a natural or synthetic brush for your foundation and why?

I use both, I've just gotten a synthetic kabuki, and I like it a lot: it gives much more coverage than my natural hair kabuki, so I'll use the synthetic one when I need more coverage...

Next!
popcorn.gif

I dont think I have ever tried a synthetic brush even though I should.... I feel sorry for the animals.
frown.gif

Well, I am all for synthetic.

First of all I do not want any animal killed so I can put makeup on my face.

There are brushes from goat hair an from other animals which would be slaughtered for they meat anyway. However those hairs are not that soft. Really soft is squirrel and pony, which will be only killed for this specific purpose. Well, no animal will be killed for my make up.

Secondly, my skin is very sensitive. An animal hair may get contact with fecal an other gross things. Of course they been washed, but many things goes deep into the hair itself. In any case I will not use such a thing on my face.

At last, the synthetic brushes can be made much softer then animal hair, so it won't irritate and scratch your face. ( Of coarse I am not talking cheap bad quality stuff)

Originally Posted by fivecarats /img/forum/go_quote.gif What's the best brand for synthetic brushes? From my experience premium synthetic brushes are best. The Lumiere brushes are good, but the ones from the premium line look as a bit better made.
You may buy premium synthetic brushes at Aubrey Nicole site, Forever Female, but I think the cheapest are at the silknaturals.

Lumiere has much bigger choice of brushes, and now there is a promotion, you may buy them in pre buy option and pay half price.

I use both brands, and I may say that I love synthetic brushes. My skin loves them. They are so soft and much better for face than natural.

You also may use less powder with synthetic brushes than with natural. The powder sticks to the brush but is less absorbed by the brush.

I bought the Lumiere flat top because of all the raves on here.I'm glad I did,I love it.Its very soft and I'm glad to know it's not animal hair

my mineral foundation is liquid so i'm still using my synthetic foundation brush from prescriptives.

I guess I'm a little out of the loop. I've only used brushes made out of animal hair. I guess I just assumed they were the best quality. Looks like I may need to go shopping for some new synthetic brushes. Where's a good site?

For me, synthetic brushes a much better than natural brushes. For one, you don't have to treat them like your actual hair. I have a natural blush brush and a synthetic baby buki brush. I am in love with my cute little baby buki brush. It applies my primer powder, foundation, and finishing powder so well. And it has shed one hair since I got it about 3 weeks ago (and I've been using it 6 days a week). My blush brush on that other hand... Although I've had it much longer than my baby buki brush, it's been shedding like mad. It used to be very soft and dense but now it's kind of prickly and sparse (although that might be due to the fact that I used a really dense brush. once you use a dense buki brush, you can't go back). I mean, I can still use my blush brush but I can't wait to replace it, even though it does make me a bit sad to see it go into the trash can.

To be honest though, it really depends on one's preference, desired makeup finish, etc. But for me, it will always be synthetic brushes. Also, I feel bad that we're shaving poor little animals for their fur. Somewhere out there, there's a squirrel or badger running around naked. o_O

I think my old brushes are made of natural hair, I'm not sure because they were given as gifts by my aunt years ago... when I made my first "real" purchase of make up from Silk Naturals, I got the synthetic kabuki because I decided that no animal should be hurt just coz I put on make-up :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> now I'm waiting for my order from Lumiere

A quick update: I really loved my natural hair kabuki, but now that I've been using my synthetic kabuki, the natural one feels all horrible and scratchy on my skin... I've donated my natural brushes to someone who does love them, and now I've ordered a few more brushes from Aubrey Nicole from her premium range! (on special offer at the moment)

So no more scratchiness and I'm looking forward to using my new brushes!!!

I use Lily Lolo's synthetic kabuki for mmu. I try to buy vegan brushes, as I feel bad about using animal hair. I'll only buy natural ones if they state they are cruelty free but you still never know I guess.

I use synthetic brushes for several reasons:

1. They're softer.

2. They give me better coverage.

3. They're not made from animal hair.

4. They don't smell like wet dog when you wash them [like natural hair].

I like my natural brushes but I do use the taklon synthetic ones for concealing. My favorite brush is the old style of Cat Cosmetics Kabuki it had a silver handle and I believe they said it was goat hair (cashmere??) I also like the chanel and bobbi brown Kabuki brushes. Other than those specific I mostly use the Bare Escentuals brushes that are "issued" to us in the various kits they sell.

I love them both.. but I prefer the synthetic for the face.. and for the eye I love naturals..

Latest posts

Back