Taboo Topic of the Day: 9/14

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With all the recent advances in science it is becoming a very real possibility that you can "design" your own Baby. You could pick traits like sex, eye color, hair color...almost anything.

So, if you were able to pick what your child would look like....Would you? Why or Why Not?

I don't think I would. Seems like you would be manipulating nature or something. I also think certain traits in people might disappear leading way for a race of people that all have a look that is culturally "popular" Plus there would be no such thing as a Natural Beauty if you hand picked everything.

No...this is where I think science can go too far and needs to be controlled. I feel that there might be a genocide or something along those terms.

no, cause with that kinda power, some people might abuse it and you know science isnt perfect and why risk the kid just cause you are determined to have this kid have like blonde hair?

I wouldnt for the simple fact that I'm afraid of screwing around with science etc and that it would be harmful to the child.

I would say no. If Wes and I could concieve that would be miracle enough, I wouldn't care if my baby had green, brown, blue or orange eyes!
tongue.gif

I wouldn't.. But if so, she would be a girl with black hair and blue eyes..

I love black hair and I love the dark hair/light eyes combo.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think I would. Seems like you would be manipulating nature or something. I also think certain traits in people might disappear leading way for a race of people that all have a look that is culturally "popular" Plus there would be no such thing as a Natural Beauty if you hand picked everything. GMTA!!!

Nope. Unless I conceived with a really unattractive person then perhaps... haha, no jk.

I wouldnt want to be able to pick trivial things like eye color, but there are certain genetic traits I would like to be able to control. I was born with an extra rib in the base of my neck which is causing me ALOT ( two possible surgerys, and a nother rib protruding that cant be fixed) of pain. If I could keep from passing those genes on I would.

there's some stuff i wouldn't want my baby to have, genetic diseases or like Saja said, an extra rib. but picking my baby's eye color or such, no way ! i'll have my baby as he/she comes.

A condition that might be fatal to ones life, I believe, is the one real upside to it.

If people were to choose to eliminate such things as Down Syndrome, would sadden me to be honest - a world without it's difference or "imperfections" wouldn't be a place I'd like to live in. It just brings up the notion of "close minded" when I think about it, if anyone gets me?

I think there are some benefits to eliminating certain disabilities (easier life on person and person's family) - but how would one grow tolerance from that later on when they do come across someone with such and such?

I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself. Haha.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif A condition that might be fatal to ones life, I believe, is the one real upside to it.
If people were to choose to eliminate such things as Down Syndrome, would sadden me to be honest - a world without it's difference or "imperfections" wouldn't be a place I'd like to live in. It just brings up the notion of "close minded" when I think about it, if anyone gets me?

I think there are some benefits to eliminating certain disabilities (easier life on person and person's family) - but how would one grow tolerance from that later on when they do come across someone with such and such?

Nah, I get what you're saying Celly. One of my husband's cousins just had a baby. When she was pregnant the doctor encouraged her to get an amniocentesis because she was a carrier for a certain disorder or something. But the amniocentesis carries risk of miscarriage . . . so she said "I'll love the baby just the way he or she was made, why would I risk it's life to try to make it perfect?"
I can't stand the woman, but I agree with her stance on it!

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif A condition that might be fatal to ones life, I believe, is the one real upside to it.

that was so beautifully put - i totally agree

No I don't really agree with genetic engineering. If that's what it comes down to for some folks, then pick the "right" people to procreate with. If it's tall children you want, don't go for partners who've only achieved average height. Yeah, that last statement sounds sordid, but it's what people have been doing anyway since time began. And it's a lot more of an acceptable human behavior than picking out the lot of the child's traits by hand. There is no one who can convince me that designing a child to one's own fetishes is a good thing.

Has anyone ever seen the movie "GATACA"?

I wouldn't do it, 'cause I feel that would be playing God. He does a fine job on his own.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back