Taking inventory

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job, guys!!

I am torn in that place where I don't know whether I should purge or not...Part of me feels like my items don't get much love, but part of me really hates the idea of throwing things out unused, especially when none of my blushes look bad on me lol. But hitting pan on a blush takes...so...long...I use a very light hand with blushes, which only means it'll take longer.

What should I do? sell them, maybe?
A single blush can take a year or more to finish.. and right now I have 10, even after getting rid of so many! I use a light hand too and I don't wear makeup every day so I know I still have overkill! One day I'd like to have my 5 absolute favorites and that's it.. Do some look better on you than others or do you have dupes? Try putting your least favorites out of sight for a couple weeks and see if you miss them. If not, sell or give away. The way I see it, if you neglect something you really love to rotate through others, it's still a waste of money.

Good job, guys!!

I am torn in that place where I don't know whether I should purge or not...Part of me feels like my items don't get much love, but part of me really hates the idea of throwing things out unused, especially when none of my blushes look bad on me lol. But hitting pan on a blush takes...so...long...I use a very light hand with blushes, which only means it'll take longer. 

This is the hardest thing for me too. But I have found some friends who are just starting to get into make up so they really appreciate my leftovers and I'm happy something pretty has a good home. I feel like younger girls are the best group for this, if you have sisters or nieces or cousins that might be a nice Avenue. I want my makeup to make me happy and seeing somebody else get joy from it is just as good as using it myself sometimes.

Good job, guys!!

I'm a firm believer in purging items you don't use or anything you don't like.  If you have tons of blushes and like them all, pick your favorite of each color.  If you have 3 peach blushes pick your favorite and get rid of the other two.  You'll still have a nice selection, but not overwhelming.  Having makeup you love sitting around unused and getting old is wasting perfectly good makeup.

I'm a firm believer in purging items you don't use or anything you don't like. If you have tons of blushes and like them all, pick your favorite of each color. If you have 3 peach blushes pick your favorite and get rid of the other two. You'll still have a nice selection, but not overwhelming. Having makeup you love sitting around unused and getting old is wasting perfectly good makeup.
My philosophy exactly! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm a firm believer in purging items you don't use or anything you don't like.  If you have tons of blushes and like them all, pick your favorite of each color.  If you have 3 peach blushes pick your favorite and get rid of the other two.  You'll still have a nice selection, but not overwhelming.  Having makeup you love sitting around unused and getting old is wasting perfectly good makeup.
but it's so hard to part withhhhhhh! :C

I guess I'll suck it up and try that.

but it's so hard to part withhhhhhh! :C

I guess I'll suck it up and try that.
Be strong...you can do it! And you'll probably feel a sense of relief once you purge some stuff. I always do & I don't miss the things I got rid of once they're gone, which just proves they were just taking up space in my makeup case.

So, I haven't been here for a while, but i have been reading. I just wanted to update how much make-up i currently have. I think i've done okay, so I'll start with the amounts i posted first, and then follow with what i actually own right now

lips:

8 tinted lipbalms - now down to 4

2 lipsticks - 3, but different ones

3 lipglosses - 0!

1 lipstain - 2

nails:

55 nailpolishes -24, I used some up, sold some and gave some away.

eyeshadows:

23 single eyeshadows - 6

6 duo's, trio's, quattro's - 5

12 palettes - 8 palettes

total:  276 eyeshadows. - now down to 125 eyeshadows

face:

9 blushes - 7

2 bronzers - 1

3 highlighters - 1

eyeliner:

4 black pencil liners - still got those, they've all gone down, but I haven't finished any of them

6 brown and other colored pencil liners - 7 I finished some, but then I got some backups on a sale, so I am not too worried

5 liquid liners (black) - 0

1 gel eyeliner - still the same one

i also own 2 powders (I think that used to be three), but those just take a long time, I cut my browproducts from two (powder and pencil) to just a brow pencil. I also own 2 types of bb-creams, for summer and winter with a few back-ups. And i have two concealers, but I really want to bring that down now to just one concealer. I still own some cosmetic glitters, but i got rid of the lashes.

So all in all, the amount of makeup has definitely gone down. But i feel it's still too much. I recently got some money trouble due to some unexpected hospital bills, and now I am faced with the dilemma of selling some of my makeup, specifically blush and eyeshadow, to both get a little money back and to reduce the size of my makeup collection (i would love it to fit into a makeup bag). But on the other hand, I am neat with my makeup but you can tell it's been used, so I am not sure if I even can an amount of money for it that is worth the trouble of selling. I am also worried that if I do get rid of some eyeshadows, I will miss them.

basically, on a daily basis I always use the same looks and colours, i feel that is also all i should keep, save maybe one or two special occasion products. But on the other hand i sometimes really like to experiment and the more unique and colourful colors come in handy, but also HAVING all the eyeshadow and blush options makes me want to experiment, if i didn't have much, i'd just use that and i think i might not want anything else.

Should i sell some, or just keep it for now? the keeping in a box didn't really work for me because i would still get it out and play with it. (yes I am like a two-year-old)

@@Misame that is some excellent makeup reduction! I think selling makeup that is gently used can be tricky and isn't allowed on most sites like ebay (I think.)  I suggest going on a no-buy or low-buy to keep that money going toward your bills instead of toward more makeup.  Experimenting with or rotating your stash can be fun and a great way to experiment with what you already have! 

@@Misame I agree with Kaitlin that you should just stick to a no buy as far as makeup goes and redirect that money to where you need it right now. It seems like you've made a lot of progress in getting through your stash, so it's totally reasonable that you can get down to being able to fit it all in one makeup bag eventually, but I doubt you'd get a worthwhile amount for selling it. I also think keeping some in a box is a good idea, when you feel an itch for a new product, you can go "shopping" in that box for something new to use without spending any additional money.

i have been on a low-buy for a really long time now, that's part the reason why i have been able to downsize . I only purchase what i run out of or use all the time, like mascara, concealer and bb cream, the only other things I bought are the lipsticks. I have put everything I am not sure about in a box again, including a few items i think i might be able to get some decent money off. just to see how i fare with the much smaller collection.

I recently reorganized my makeup and sold a bunch of stuff, so here's my updated inventory of some categories:

pressed eyeshadow: 73 (I have a lot of loose eyeshadows, especially sample bags, and I didn't want to count them all)

eyeliner: 35

blush: 20

bronzer: 3

highlighter: 3

setting powder: 3

lip gloss: 22

lipstick: 25

nail polish: 95

I've cut way down on my nail polish stash, but I still have about 30 that I've set aside that I want to get rid of. I've also cut down on my lip gloss by a lot, but I'd like to get it to under 10, because realistically, just about all of them look the same on my lips.

I've also cut down on my lip gloss by a lot, but I'd like to get it to under 10, because realistically, just about all of them look the same on my lips.
Good point! I wonder how many of my make-up items look almost identical when on?

I'm going to do a makeup, beauty, and skincare inventory this weekend. I'm saying it here so I can be more accountable, hopefully, and actually do it! I keep telling myself I will, but I really, really want to do it now.

Good point! I wonder how many of my make-up items look almost identical when on?

I'm going to do a makeup, beauty, and skincare inventory this weekend. I'm saying it here so I can be more accountable, hopefully, and actually do it! I keep telling myself I will, but I really, really want to do it now.
I happen to have pretty pigmented lips, so any sheer lip glosses basically don't add any color for me, whereas they might show up as tints on other people.

I've also found that I can't tell the difference between a lot of my blushes when they're on my face.

I'm going to do a makeup, beauty, and skincare inventory this weekend. I'm saying it here so I can be more accountable, hopefully, and actually do it!
Oh how I let myself down! I didn't do this at all. Maybe tonight? But I need to do my homework tonight.... eugh! I'll never find the time! This is why I'm perpetually trying to buy random stuff... I don't know what I have!

I happen to have pretty pigmented lips, so any sheer lip glosses basically don't add any color for me, whereas they might show up as tints on other people.

I've also found that I can't tell the difference between a lot of my blushes when they're on my face.
I wonder ... I don't wear blush enough to see if they look different or not on me... I'lll start trying and if they do, I will definitely stop buying. Although I really want Tarte Exposed, Dazzled, Natural Beauty, and I want a purple blush!

I did a cursory count. Makeup items: 188, Skincare: 26, Nail polish: 28; palettes: 5

Not too bad, but I've been low buying the majority of the year. I have 28 eyeliners!! This is one area I need to start wearing each one for a week and decide if I like it enough to keep it. The other glaring excess is lip products: 33!! About 40% of the above items are deluxe samples from subs. I also have two glossyboxes of items I haven't decided if I'm going to keep or add to my trade list. Probably another 2 dozen items. Ah well, nothing like facing reality. I have greatly reduced my body lotions, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, etc  so success on that front.

The amusing part is that I am seriously considering a UD purchase for black Friday of the travel size liners and lipstick sets! The two areas I already have an excess of items! Decisions,decisions. What can I say, eyeliner and lipstick are my weakness :)

I decided to re-check my progress and am pretty happy I have reduced my stash. I did buy those travel size liners but used up and tossed a few so I am still down overall in liners. I have more I need to toss/give away/use up but all numbers have decreased a little. 

makeup items are down to 149, skincare 23, nail polish 26, palettes 4

eyeliners 23, lippies 29

I've focused more on using up and giving away items than tossing so I'm planning to pull out everything this weekend (hubby is out of town) and re-organize and toss what I'm simply not using. I'm going to sanitize while I'm at it and clean my brushes. I'm feeling so ambitious - hope I still feel this way on Saturday! 

I decided to re-check my progress and am pretty happy I have reduced my stash. I did buy those travel size liners but used up and tossed a few so I am still down overall in liners. I have more I need to toss/give away/use up but all numbers have decreased a little. 

makeup items are down to 149, skincare 23, nail polish 26, palettes 4

eyeliners 23, lippies 29

I've focused more on using up and giving away items than tossing so I'm planning to pull out everything this weekend (hubby is out of town) and re-organize and toss what I'm simply not using. I'm going to sanitize while I'm at it and clean my brushes. I'm feeling so ambitious - hope I still feel this way on Saturday! 
Awesome! Good idea! I want to do this too- also sanitize and clean my brushes, I've been bad about my brushes lately!

I also really want to go to Sephora- not to shop, just to play- so I can really whittle my wishlist down to just those things I think will work for me. For instance, I need to swatch a few things, and get a sample made of the Lavanila sunscreen.

I WILL do this this weekend. Maybe even today!

Alright, here goes!

Blushes: 5

Highlighters: 6 + 1 sample

Bronzers: 3

Foundations: 6 (1 powder foundation, 4 mineral foundations, 1 regular foundation)

Concealers: 4 (incl. 1 mineral concealer)

Pressed powders: 3

Single eyeshadows: 45 (incl. 2 mineral eyeshadow samples, haven't bothered to count the rest of the sample stash)

Cream eyeshadows: 5 

Palettes: 8 (total of 40 eyeshadows and 2 liners)

Eyeliners: 23 (incl. 5 gel liners)

Lipliners: 8

Lipsticks: 22

Lipglosses: 12

Lip balms: 12

1 of each: foundation primer, eyeshadow primer, lip primer, setting spray, brow gel, loose powder, loose glitter.

Wow, 85 eyeshadows... I hadn't realized I had so many. This is why taking inventory is such a good idea!

Categories I would like to cut back on before the end of the year:

Lipsticks

Eyeshadows

Eyeliners

Foundations

Lip balms

I feel disgusted with myself.  I have:

10 foundations (including a NARS sample)

eyeshadows in palettes: 163 (including new Sephora Blockbuster palette)

single eyeshadows: 10

eyeliner pens: 2 (which I never use)

blush: 6 or 7 (which have never been used)

lip crayons: 4

lipsticks: 17

lip balms: 12

lipglosses: 71 (ugh!!! how did this happen??)

Gotta purge some stuff!

I feel disgusted with myself.  I have:

10 foundations (including a NARS sample)

eyeshadows in palettes: 163 (including new Sephora Blockbuster palette)

single eyeshadows: 10

eyeliner pens: 2 (which I never use)

blush: 6 or 7 (which have never been used)

lip crayons: 4

lipsticks: 17

lip balms: 12

lipglosses: 71 (ugh!!! how did this happen??)

Gotta purge some stuff!
Aw don't feel disgusted with yourself!  Being into makeup/cosmetics, even if it's collecting and not using, is a perfectly normal hobby.  Lipglosses are SO EASY to pick up (at least for me,) since they are relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and available in so many different formulas.  But if you feel like a purge is necessary, go for it! I would caution you that lip products can "turn" more quickly than powder products, and it might be useful to use checkcosmetic.net or something if you're unsure of how old a product is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I FINALLY took inventory of my makeup. I think I was putting it off because I thought it would be harder than it was. I do need to organize it, go through it and get rid of things I don't like/won't use/are too old. I was also giving myself too much to do- I will do an inventory of my skincare, bodycare, and haircare later. This time just makeup (including samples).

Ok, so here's how it looks as of October 1, 2014:

Face

Primer- 5

Foundation-7

Concealer-3

Setting Powder- 3

Blush- 7

Bronzer- 2

Highlight-3

Eyes

Brows-3

Mascara-8

Eyeshadow palettes-2

Eyeshadow singles (not including palette colors)-30

Eyeshadow primer- 3

Eyeliner- 8

Lips

Lip liner- 5

Lipstick-8

Lip treatment-3

Lip gloss-7

Lip stain-7

Lip crayons-5

Lip balms (tinted)- 6

Brushes

At the moment, too numerous to count, though I still want to buy more.

And yet despite all that, I still want to buy:

An eyebrow brush, a blush brush, and the mini beauty blenders.

More blush.

More foundation.

More concealer.

More brow products.

More highlighter.

More bronzer/contour.

More powder- finishing instead of setting.

More lipstick, lip crayons, and lip treatment.

More eyeshadow.

Back