Talk about a self esteem squisher!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today, I had my self esteem just stomped all over by Old Navy LoL. Usually, I can walk in, grab my size, and GO! I did that. And the jeans don't fit. And it depressed me to no end. I even got the ones with stretch in them!
icon_cry.gif

Anyway, as most of you know, I'm moving to Lubbock to start a whole new life at Texas Tech University, and I would love nothing more then to lose tons of weight and just have a whole new body for myself.
wink.gif

What are ya'll's favorite (cheap! Preferably FREE LoL) diets, that really work? Either fad diets, or just foods you think help in losing weight?

This is starting here, and now.

I also am going to go to the gym, hopefully everyday, if not, then just every other day, or if not the gym, then my CRUNCH! workout, which is a cardio based work-out and then it goes straight into a pilates workout. I love it, but it'll be difficult to do in a dorm! LoL

Anyway, I would love any help and/or support from you guys, because this just really got me down! More then it ever has before!

Love ya'll! :icon_love

hmmm. when you cut back on food, you'll be saving $$ there!

congrats on starting to get on the heathy track ash! everyone needs to be healthy. no, they don't have to have quarters bounced off of their abs or butt, just healthy.

Originally Posted by Liz hmmm. when you cut back on food, you'll be saving $$ there!
congrats on starting to get on the heathy track ash! everyone needs to be healthy. no, they don't have to have quarters bounced off of their abs or butt, just healthy.

Yeah I know what you mean! From the time I was 8 till I graduated high school, I played softball - recreational, competetive, and high school softball, and that kept me in shape, but when I graduated high school, I stopped playing, b/c I was too old for the leagues here, and I guess I just let it all go LoL It really sucks! Luckily, at Tech, they have an awesome rec center with a nice gym and a olympic size pool. So, that's gonna help alot, being on campus and everything.

drink water - very importante!!

exercise

eat fruits & veggies

drink milk (or get calcium)

stay away from processed junk (some of it is hard to avoid w/ the vast majority of the food being processed for convenience).

don't eat fast food for one month. see if you start to notice a difference.

oh...stay away from alcohol!! if you drink...do so in moderation.

Since you are going away to school, here are some recoomendations:

If you can, walk to class instead of driving.

Make your food rather than buying already prepared food at the cafeteria.

Take the stairs instead of elevator.

How about taking a phys ed class? You can get credit for it and you will be able to get a great work out?

[]My mom is over extremely overweight. So much so that she got diabetes and other health problems due to it. She can barely turn over in her bed, let along walk. After a heart attack while she was visiting, she was staying with we me in Miami and I was in complete control of her food. Of course, I started an extreme diet to try to extend her life. The point-she lost about 30 pounds in a mouth without exercising, with this diet. Unfortunately she went home to Brooklyn and started her old ways again.

The point here, she lost without exercise, so this diet would definitely help you. It's a very low carb diet. It really works.

I-Diet includes no white bread or pasta or rice-(say goodbye)

2-Small portions of meat or fish prepared without carbs.

3-breakfast was too eggs fried with Pam and Farmer cheese (no salt) cut out salt, it makes you retain water.

4-vegtables steamed with no calorie Pam instead of butter

5-tuna fish in water with low cal mayo with one slice of wheat bread

This diet is based on the South Beach Diet. I think they have frozen dinners now. You can prepare any low-fat meal you like but leave out most of the carbs. Only eat carbs in small portions, and only vegetable(not potatoes or chips) and wheat, some healthy source. Bring prepared food with you so you don't eat junk when your out.

This diet worked for my mom and she couldn't exercise, image the results you can get with exercise.

About exercising-don't forget to train with weights, it speeds up your metabolism. If you have any questions, or want to know more about this type of diet (books on the subject or more meal suggestion) I would love to help.

Don't let this stress you out. People are mean in general, and will find your

weakness and exploit it. Walk with your head hight girl-you are beautiful
icon_smile.gif

Hope this helped

Dana

My answers are in red.

In response to Dana you will find my answers in red.

I-Diet includes no white bread or pasta or rice-(say goodbye) - WHOLE GRAINS ARE OK IN MY OPINION which is what is being said from what I can tell.

2-Small portions of meat or fish prepared without carbs. 1 SERVING = 3 OZ WHICH IS *UNFORTUNATELY* about the size of a credit card.

3-breakfast was too eggs fried with Pam and Farmer cheese (no salt) cut out salt, it makes you retain water. **Watch the eggs...cholesterol!!**

4-vegtables steamed with no calorie Pam instead of butter - Great choice

5-tuna fish in water with low cal mayo with one slice of wheat bread **Tuna has high mercury levels. Try to choose a non-predatory fish and I would stay away from mayo. Opt for pitas or wheat bread. Sara Lee usually has the best lo-cal bread. Stay away from Gold Medal bread....very high in cals.

This diet is based on the South Beach Diet. I think they have frozen dinners now. You can prepare any low-fat meal you like but leave out most of the carbs. Only eat carbs in small portions, and only vegetable(not potatoes or chips) and wheat, some healthy source. Bring prepared food with you so you don't eat junk when your out.

SBD frozen dinners are outrageously high in Sodium, even though I think some of them taste GREAT.

This diet worked for my mom and she couldn't exercise, image the results you can get with exercise.

If you're pressed for time on exercising check out your local library for "8 MINUTES IN THE MORNING" by Jorge Cruise. He has a new book out, but I guess I'm just way behind the times.

About exercising-don't forget to train with weights, it speeds up your metabolism. If you have any questions, or want to know more about this type of diet (books on the subject or more meal suggestion) I would love to help.

Don't let this stress you out. People are mean in general, and will find your

weakness and exploit it. Walk with your head hight girl-you are beautiful
icon_smile.gif

So, as you will find everyone has a differing opinion
confused.gif
, but you have to find what works for you. Unfortunately it's a trial and error process. You may find 9 people who try Weight Watchers and succeed, but it just may not be for you. Just be patient...and we're here if you need us.

Like usual everyone has made great suggestions. a couple of websites you may want to check out are www.kinetixliving.com www.freetrainers.com Depending on your budget www.ediets.com may be a nice option because it is a bit more personalized and there are a lot of different diets to choose from and they do promote lifestyle changes which is what will bring you long term success. If you want stuff to help you out in college that is good for a dorm (when you can't make it to the gym between cram sessions) resistance bands are really beneficial and if you have a sony playstation xbox or... I am pretty sure they have computer software there is a "game" called Yourself Fitness www.yourselffitness.com which is a personalised exercise regimen with a meal planner and recipes. It is awesome and a lot of fun... Definitely worth checking out. Remember though to not starve yourself it will slow your metabolism completely. Drink lots of H2O, consume all of the food groups in moderation and try (although it will be challenging) to get enough sleep. Also and I know this sounds funny but try not to weigh yourself. When you are eating well and exercising you can identify progress by how you feel and how your clothing fits. The scale won't tell you if loss is water weight, loss of muscle tissue (which can happen with not eating enough) or actual body fat, a number on a scale can really throw you off and can become an unhealthy obsession. And shame on Old Navy for putting the wrong label on the jeans you bought...
icon_lol.gif
Good luck with everything

Originally Posted by lrigpuekam
icon_eek.gif
I hope I didn't do a bad thing by putting those links in... nope.. you are ok.

its not you its OLDNAVY!! im trying to figure out how i went from a medium/large in shirts to an XL while LOOSEING weight. but its old navy. they changed their size pattern or something because theyre MORONS. i stayed the same size/went down everywhere else so its definantly them.

I don't eat meat, dairy or wheat, and that helps me keep my weight down. I also keep a lot of fruit in the house so I can eat fruit rather than candy.

Are you going to be eating at the University dining service? Do you know what kinds of foods they serve? Unfortunately if you're stuck with a meal plan you will need to be extra careful about food because you don't have control over the amount of oil, fat, sugar that is put in the food.

Good luck!!! I hope it all goes well for you!

aw, ash, i'm sorry
frown.gif

i remember when i dropped 35 lbs. over a year ago and because i'm pear-shaped (think beyonce, just not toned like her
tongue.gif
), when i lost weight, it was in my stomach, not my hips, so when i finally went clothes shopping after 6 months to buy new clothes and jeans STILL didn't fit, even when i tried on the size i was before the diet, i just broke down in the fitting room. i was SO depressed. i know how it is
frown.gif

good luck!!

Originally Posted by Jennifer aw, ash, i'm sorry
frown.gif

i remember when i dropped 35 lbs. over a year ago and because i'm pear-shaped (think beyonce, just not toned like her
tongue.gif
), when i lost weight, it was in my stomach, not my hips, so when i finally went clothes shopping after 6 months to buy new clothes and jeans STILL didn't fit, even when i tried on the size i was before the diet, i just broke down in the fitting room. i was SO depressed. i know how it is
frown.gif

good luck!!

thanks!!
smile.gif

When I was away at school they had a student gym we could use. Maybe you could try that? Like Marisol said, just do the extras: stairs when you can, park a little further away and walk (if only it's safe to do so). Those extra steps add up at the end of the day. 20 calories here, 50 there, it all helps.

I'm a big girl, and I only ever seem to lose weight when I'm happy with myself. Get happy with who you are, accept who you are, you're not a bad person because you think you need to lose a few pounds. When you accept that you're a great person, regardless of your size, food seems less important, you feel like exercising and the world becomes a happier place. Remember that you're beautiful, and some of those skinny b*tch*s are ugly. You'll always be beautiful no matter what the scale says, but they'll always be minging.

Ashley, you're fabulous and one of the most beautiful people I sort of know, don't let your weight get you down (afterall, it's just a number). :icon_love

It starts inside, when you can see the beauty there the rest will follow.

Originally Posted by Lealabell I'm a big girl, and I only ever seem to lose weight when I'm happy with myself. Get happy with who you are, accept who you are, you're not a bad person because you think you need to lose a few pounds. When you accept that you're a great person, regardless of your size, food seems less important, you feel like exercising and the world becomes a happier place. Remember that you're beautiful, and some of those skinny b*tch*s are ugly. You'll always be beautiful no matter what the scale says, but they'll always be minging.
Ashley, you're fabulous and one of the most beautiful people I sort of know, don't let your weight get you down (afterall, it's just a number). :icon_love

It starts inside, when you can see the beauty there the rest will follow.

Thanks so much! That was one of the sweetest, most inspirational things anyone has said to me! :icon_love:icon_love:icon_love I guess just the whole, co-ed college thing has got me down, but you are absolutly right. No one will be happy w/ me until i'm happy with myself
smile.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Loving yourself is tough though. I have my ups and downs and I've been on a downer since I split with my first love 3 years ago. I'm starting to pick myself up now though and learning to love the me that I am. Flaws and all.

Latest posts

Back