Tanning?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tanning Question:

I am the type that can cop a killer tan in 2 days when I haven't been in the sun for months. I mean really REALLY tan! I can get super dark very fast and people who have a hard time maintaining tans or getting them, are like WTF...how do you do that? I have been in the sun now for a few weeks or so, and I am so dark.

I usually use SPF4 if I am going be out in the sun all day, this way, it gives me some son and some SPF.

What I wanna know is: How much of MORE risk am I at for skin cancer?

lol, depends on who you ask ... anya will tell you that if you're not getting sunburned you're fine; my dermatologist says you should always use tons of sunscreen and any little bit of a tan increases your risk of skin cancer!

Originally Posted by girl_geek

lol, depends on who you ask ... anya will tell you that if you're not getting sunburned you're fine; my dermatologist says you should always use tons of sunscreen and any little bit of a tan increases your risk of skin cancer!

oh yeah, I am way past sunburn stage. Yeah, I am still wonderin' about it

Ok, my opinion definetly goes against what's being taught nowadays...but I am really wary of anything pharmaceutical, including sunscreens. The drug companies exsist to make money, their main concern is not your health. Why do you suppose, that dozens and dozens of new and improved sunscreens come out each year, more and more people are using them, yet people are still getting cancer at alarming rates? Same with all the so-called medicines and drugs. Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent to advertise these drugs...heck, they even have 30 minute infomercials now! Hello? An infomercial for a prescription drug? We as a country are getting sicker and sicker despite all these "wonderful" remedies. Sunscreen/sunblock is full of chemicals that you are putting onto the largest organ of your body, it absorbs in and is introduced into your system instantly. We need to get back to common sense and simple, natural cures. I say, your body seems to be taking care of itself just fine with it's natural abilities, if you can get a tan that fast and not burn.

Ok, I'm sure someone has an issue with what I said...please don't be too brutal!
icon_smile.gif
It's just my opinion...

your risk of skin cancer depends on your skin, your family background (where they are from are they olive skinned or more pale like a celtic background) how often you have had bad burns in your lifetime. bad burns or any burning will change cells in your skin that's why overexposure is so bad for you. your skin was designed to tan as a natural protection from the sun, a tan is made of the same thing that makes black people black it's the melanin the pigment to the skin that is the protection from the sun (why in areas that get more sun the people are darker)

does your family have a history of skin cancer? heredity has a lot to do with it if you are more genetically predisposed to it you have a higher risk, same thing if you have had MANY bad burns in your life the more burns you have had the higher the risk and what kind of skin does your family have are they southern italians who are more olive or are they pale from ireland or england? you have to look at ALL these factors.

but you have to remember that when you are spending this time in the sun not to overdo it even if you have a dark tan. tanning everyday can be too much for your skin since your skin continues to tan for up to 72 hrs after exposure that's why people who tan everyday can be fine one day and then all of a sudden they have had too much and they are beet red.

here is a website for tanning truths that arent talked about everywhere since the sunscreen companies pump billions into scaring the hell out of people into thinking the sun is so bad for them

http://www.tanningtruth.com/

Originally Posted by Anya1976 your risk of skin cancer depends on your skin, your family background (where they are from are they olive skinned or more pale like a celtic background) how often you have had bad burns in your lifetime. bad burns or any burning will change cells in your skin that's why overexposure is so bad for you. your skin was designed to tan as a natural protection from the sun, a tan is made of the same thing that makes black people black it's the melanin the pigment to the skin that is the protection from the sun (why in areas that get more sun the people are darker)does your family have a history of skin cancer? heredity has a lot to do with it if you are more genetically predisposed to it you have a higher risk, same thing if you have had MANY bad burns in your life the more burns you have had the higher the risk and what kind of skin does your family have are they southern italians who are more olive or are they pale from ireland or england? you have to look at ALL these factors.

wow, excellent info, Angela. don´t have much to add to that. oh Tony, and if you have many moles you´re at higher risk too. you´re even supposed to put extra sunblock on those.

and if you had many sunburns in your childhood you´re at extra-extra high risk, b/c at that stage the cell turning rate is very high and the cell mutations caused by sunburns can accumulate over the years. that´s why you usually get melanomas at older age. the body has it´s own healing powers of course but if if it all adds up the cancer is stronger one day.(did I use the right words?)

Originally Posted by glamslam Ok, my opinion definetly goes against what's being taught nowadays...but I am really wary of anything pharmaceutical, including sunscreens. The drug companies exsist to make money, their main concern is not your health. Why do you suppose, that dozens and dozens of new and improved sunscreens come out each year, more and more people are using them, yet people are still getting cancer at alarming rates? Same with all the so-called medicines and drugs. Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent to advertise these drugs...heck, they even have 30 minute infomercials now! Hello? An infomercial for a prescription drug? We as a country are getting sicker and sicker despite all these "wonderful" remedies. Sunscreen/sunblock is full of chemicals that you are putting onto the largest organ of your body, it absorbs in and is introduced into your system instantly. We need to get back to common sense and simple, natural cures. I say, your body seems to be taking care of itself just fine with it's natural abilities, if you can get a tan that fast and not burn.
Ok, I'm sure someone has an issue with what I said...please don't be too brutal!
icon_smile.gif
It's just my opinion...

hm, good point. but I do have some little issues with what you said
icon_cheesygrin.gif
well everyone knows that the pharmaceutical industry is a big business making lots of money. sunscreens are a big business b/c it´s cosmetics. it´s not only supposed to prevent sunburn, but also premature aging, dry skin, smell good and whatnot. over here they did a survey on all available sunscreens and the outcome was the the cheaper ones are usually as good as the expensive ones.

the rates of skin cancer are increasing b/c of the hole in the ozone layer, b/c people have a different spare time behavior (right word?) now. they spend months in their dark offices to get 2 weeks off and spend them in Florida or any place where it´s sunny and get a sunburn just like that cause they underestimate the sun´s power.

another reason: the methods of detecting skin cancer have become better and better over the years..which makes it seem like they´re more cases of skin cancer, when they´re only more cases being DETECTED.

and what do you mean by saying people getting sicker and sicker despite the "wonderful remedies". in industrialized countries the top listed death associated diseases are coronary heart diseases, followed by cancer. those two are highly lifestyle-related. of course there are many good medications to decrease levels of blood fat, decrease high blood pressure, help with weight loss etc. but above all you´re responsible for your own body. if people in industrialized countries keep on with their unhealthy lifestyles they will eventually get sicker and sicker. and of course that´s a goldmine for the drug companies!!!

that´s how I see it. sorry bout the long post. I just love talking about that topic
icon_smile.gif
oh and sorry if I used any wrong words/expressions. I had to look some up in dictionary

Oh, I totally agree with your post...what I think you're referring to, and I do believe that Kevin Trudeau's book Natural Cures, "they" don't want you to know about - is awesome. I've read it a few times - he's really onto something, and it makes perfect sense.!

Originally Posted by glamslam Ok, my opinion definetly goes against what's being taught nowadays...but I am really wary of anything pharmaceutical, including sunscreens. The drug companies exsist to make money, their main concern is not your health. Why do you suppose, that dozens and dozens of new and improved sunscreens come out each year, more and more people are using them, yet people are still getting cancer at alarming rates? Same with all the so-called medicines and drugs. Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent to advertise these drugs...heck, they even have 30 minute infomercials now! Hello? An infomercial for a prescription drug? We as a country are getting sicker and sicker despite all these "wonderful" remedies. Sunscreen/sunblock is full of chemicals that you are putting onto the largest organ of your body, it absorbs in and is introduced into your system instantly. We need to get back to common sense and simple, natural cures. I say, your body seems to be taking care of itself just fine with it's natural abilities, if you can get a tan that fast and not burn.
icon_smile.gif
It's just my opinion...

the uva is for tanning the uvb is burning and the uvc gets filtered out by our atmosphere.

and actually tanning beds their lamps vary with uva and uvb base beds have alot of UVB to get melanin productiong working that's why when you start tanning in beds you still need to limit your sessions since there is still uvb in the lamps. there are beds out there that are almost all uva since that's what gets you darker faster is the UVA. those are HP beds and very expensive single sessions are like 30 bucks or more depending on the bed. but since getting exposure to uva rays doesn't protect you as much from being out in the sun you should still wear sunscreen or rotate the beds you use so you have some tolerance to the uvb outside. that's why i wear sunscreen in the summers if i am out in the real sun since i tan indoors i have some tolerance to the uvb but not as much as someone who tans outside regularly.

and i know i have posted about the different rays, especially when talking about sunscreens. cus most sunscreens unless they are broad specturm sunblocks only block the UVB ray since that is the ray that burns. so if you are not using a broad spectrum spf you still get color while outside.

interesting article!

what they wrote about Vitamin D is true. but there´s no need to expose yourself to sun, unprotected, thinking this will protect you from certain kinds of cancer.

Vitamin D is already produced after only 5min of letting sun shine on the back of your hands for example. (forgot where I read this, I thought this was pretty interesting)

Welp, you girls kick ass! Thanks for all the fast responses. Here are three facts about my skin: I do not have olive colored skin, there is not history of skin cancer in my family, I have no moles. I do have some freckles though. I am just one of those very lucky tanners that can darken down to a golden tan very easily. This can be done in a matter of 2 days or so. I have had alot of exposure to the sun being that I was a surfer when I was younger. I do have to watch my head tho, as I am thinning up there. I put sunscreen on that part of my head(massage it thru my hair).

I don't really need to go to a tanning bed since we have a nice pool in our backyard and we live in Southern California. Extra nice sun year round. I usually don't "lay out" to get a tan, I just hang out with my family in and out of the sun and it just is attracted to my skin for some reason.

Being tan makes my grey hair stand out more too. lol

Tony, this is where I tell you how much I hate you.
mad.gif
wink.gif

I can lay out for a week and you wouldn't know it. It takes me forever to tan. Even if I tan indoors, it would take about 5 sessions to see a difference. Just hopeless.

Originally Posted by Sofia Tony, this is where I tell you how much I hate you.
mad.gif
wink.gif
I can lay out for a week and you wouldn't know it. It takes me forever to tan. Even if I tan indoors, it would take about 5 sessions to see a difference. Just hopeless.

it sometimes takes me awhile to get dark depending if i am outside or tanning indoors but i can get a nice dark tan. my dad get super dark and so does mylittle brother. they have more olive in their skin and are dark complected.here is a pic of me when i wasn't so close to the flash lol

Dscf0005-2.jpg

tony spf 4 or spf 40? cause spf 4 is reeaaaly like nothing, especially for all day out in the sun.

wow Angela, you look so much darker in this pic than in your FOTDs! are you pretty dark naturally or do you just tan VERY often?

icon_smile.gif
It's just my opinion...

OK well I sorta see where you're coming from, but I think I have to disagree. It all goes back to evolution and survival of the fittest. People who lived in areas with lots of sun could spend all day in the sun and not burn because that's what they were best suited to do while others who lived in areas without a lot of sun needed more fair skin that would absorb any sunlight that was around because there are benefits to sun (vitamin d production for one). However we are now in a very mobile society so people who are best suited to live in an environment with little sunlight now might live in a climate with tons of sun and in addition, people now lay out directly for the purpose of getting darker so that's why some people do get burned, because they were not created for that environment. So while sunblock companies make money off of it, sunblock does also protect people.

In addition, hundreds of years ago, we didn't have any medicines, but people also died much younger. Had they lived to reach their 80's or 90's, they too would have been much more likely to develop diseases simply due to more exposure to the environment.

And people are getting sicker and sicker because of the way that we are damaging out environment which is intended to protect us (hole in the ozone layer, pollution). We smoke and drink alcohol and drive instead of walking and we eat food filled with perservatives instead of natural food. So these things lead to illnesses and then pharmacutical companies come up with medications to try and fix these problems. So in my opinion, yes our bodies were intended to heal naturally, but in response to natural problems (ie. cut yourself, it scabs over) however our bodies weren't intended to cure environmental problems (ie. drinking all the time for years, eventually your liver gives out and you either die or need modern medicine). So while medicine might be harming out bodies in some ways, I really think that illnesses are caused more by just the way our civilization has developed as a whole. Pharmacutical companies couldn't make money if there wasn't a need for their products!

Whoa that was a long post! Can it count as a couple posts so I can get that 4th heart sooner
icon_wink.gif

SPF4 not 40. That is all I ever use. I tans me well. I am stuck on banana boat SPF4

Originally Posted by destiny

tony spf 4 or spf 40? cause spf 4 is reeaaaly like nothing, especially for all day out in the sun.

Humm, even though I am a natural blonde I tan very fast and easy, I alway use SPF50 no matter what, I even add it to my foundations. If you tan easy you will tan with what ever SPF you use. In my opinion save your skin use a higher SPF, you will still get color just not as fast.

Latest posts

Back