Tattoed People Cannot Rent In San Antonio

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HUH?

It's against the law for landlords to discriminate based on the color of a person's skin. But can they reject you because of what's on your skin?

Some San Antonio apartment complexes are refusing to rent to people with tattoos and body piercings.

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story.aspx?content_id=57db782b-9874-4b37-aa00-0402ab8a7ab1

WOW! Im full of tattoos! Do we have to strip ur clothes to potential landlords?

So, what do you think, Should a landlord be able to refuse to rent you a unit because of your tats or piercings?

If I ever get denied a place because of my tattoos it probably means there was some bad sex in there somewhere!

No kidding!

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif That' ridiculous. It's 2007, ALOT of people have tattoos and piercings. Your'e hilarious! Originally Posted by Ohappydayes /img/forum/go_quote.gif WOW! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!...well not quite, but still is stupid! I guess I can't live there either. It's ok though, I likely wouldn't like such people anyway and am glad to not get stuck living next to close minded people that think I'm some social misfit with no morals because I have tattoos.
I've been dying to use this smilie so here's my chance:

thefinger.gif
to the person that made that rule!
rotfl.gif

that's ridiculous and that's discrimination. in the same time i'd be glad not to live with such narrow minded stupid people.

what?

you know that in Israel if a women have a tattoo in her lower back and she pregnant the doctors will not give her epidural shot

It's ridiculous. Tats and piercings have nothing to do with your ability to pay your rent or not tear up your apartment. Dumb. Dumb

of course its discrimination, BUT if i was a landlord and a potential renter had "gang related" tattoos, i wouldnt rent to them either cuz how do i know what kind of people are gonna be going over etc.

Originally Posted by makeupfreak72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif of course its discrimination, BUT if i was a landlord and a potential renter had "gang related" tattoos, i wouldnt rent to them either cuz how do i know what kind of people are gonna be going over etc. That's almost the same thing as when my old apt switched mgmt and the new ones wanted us out. Cuz apparently "black ppl are hoodlums and would bring crime to the complex..."

It hurts when yr judged because of yr skin... I mean, rental co's have the right to do background checks on you, like from yr previous places of abode, verify employment and income...

I think that that using skin pigmentation, whether God-given or "God-enhanced," as the basis of discrimination is BS and should be against the law...

sleepyhead.gif

That is just so crazy. I'd have to drop my pants for a landlord in that area then, because I don't have "obvious" piercings!

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's almost the same thing as when my old apt switched mgmt and the new ones wanted us out. Cuz apparently "black ppl are hoodlums and would bring crime to the complex..."
It hurts when yr judged because of yr skin... I mean, rental co's have the right to do background checks on you, like from yr previous places of abode, verify employment and income...

I think that that using skin pigmentation, whether God-given or "God-enhanced," as the basis of discrimination is BS and should be against the law...

sleepyhead.gif

ugh thats terrible and the tattoo thing is ridiculous.

You know, it totally depends on the landlord(s)/owners. For instance, if they are foreign-born Muslims, they may not want to rent to people with tattoos because it may have very well been illegal to bear such markings on the skin in their native country.

It is definitely not a situation that will sit softly for the American taste, but depending on how that particular jurisdiction is set up, that kind of discrimination could be protected under the law.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif You know, it totally depends on the landlord(s)/owners. For instance, if they are foreign-born Muslims, they may not want to rent to people with tattoos because it may have very well been illegal to bear such markings on the skin in their native country.
It is definitely not a situation that will sit softly for the American taste, but depending on how that particular jurisdiction is set up, that kind of discrimination could be protected under the law.

That is true... tattoos are "haram" (which means forbidden) in Islam. But muslims are also taught not to impose their beliefs on others at the same time...

Or maybe we should look at the flipside and just accept that ppl should be allowed to do whatever they want on their property, public or otherwise...

Yeah it's definately dumb and should be just as illegal as any other discrimination.

Now I can *kinda* understand how someone, especially a elderly landlord, or someone with children, would be a little hesitant if this person has like satanic tattoos or gang signs all over their face or something, or some other kind of symbolic tattoos they don't understand. They might be a little scared of it because it isn't something they are used to, and it DOES bring some concerns into your thoughts. That being said there is no reason why any upstanding citizen, no matter how many tattoos you have, should be denied that right. Every one of my friends has at least one tattoo, and many of them are virtually covered in them. If you actually stop to look at them, the artwork they have is absolutely beautiful, and tells the story of things in their lives that they love. And my friends are the sweetest most responsible people you could ever meet. The thought that one of them could be denied housing because they have full sleeves, etc, is proposterous. (sp?)

Originally Posted by Kee /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is just so crazy. I'd have to drop my pants for a landlord in that area then, because I don't have "obvious" piercings! Hence my bad sex comment!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by makeupfreak72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif of course its discrimination, BUT if i was a landlord and a potential renter had "gang related" tattoos, i wouldnt rent to them either cuz how do i know what kind of people are gonna be going over etc. and that's stereotyping, which is just as bad.You can't judge what a person does by their body art. It may define what they like, but it doesn't define what they are like as a person and what they do in their life.

I think if someone's stupid enough to enforce rules like that on their properties, then they're not worth renting from and finiancially, they're just cutting their own throats.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's almost the same thing as when my old apt switched mgmt and the new ones wanted us out. Cuz apparently "black ppl are hoodlums and would bring crime to the complex..."

sleepyhead.gif

i dont think its fair to compare my comment with what happened to you, not sure if thats what you meant, but race is one thing and having gang related tattoos is something else, gangs are seen as something negative and associated with violence etc. and what happened to you was clearly racism, and while i'm not saying people with gang related tattoos shouldnt have the right to rent a home, they have to at least expect to have SOME trouble finding someone who will rent to them especially here in california where gang violence and murder is one of the highest types of crimes (with drive by's etc.)

Latest posts

Back