Tea tree oil

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought some tea tree oil from Aveda. What can I use it for?

Nan

Here's an interesting article:

Tired of spending money on expensive antibiotics and treatments for different conditions and problems? Why not discover what Native Australians knew a long time ago--that there are countless good uses for tea tree oil.

It took the rest of the world much longer to figure out but now everyone’s discovering the numerous benefits of one of the world’s most popular herbal remedies.

The official name of the medicinal tea tree the oil comes from is “Melaleuca alternifoliaâ€. The oil itself is extracted from the leaves by steam distillation.

It is a concentrated natural oil safe for most skin types but those with sensitive skin may prefer to dilute it in some sort of oil such as baby oil, olive oil or a jelly like aloe vera.

Tea tree oil can actually be diluted 100 or more times its volume and still be effective. While some people can and do use the oil straight, it’s probably better to mix a few drops with an oil such as baby oil, olive oil or Aloe Vera jelly.

Adding a few drops of oil to your regular shampoo will work for a variety of hair-related problems including dandruff, itchy scalp and even as a preventative for headlice. Ideally, you should leave it on for five or ten minutes, then rinse.

Skin problems such as dermatitis, sunburns, diaper rashes and cuts are also aided by tea tree oil’s properties. At the same time, you just might find that rubbing the oil into your joints will relieve some of that arthritic pain. Athlete’s foot, smelly feet, toenail infections and other foot ailments could also use a few drops of tea tree oil for treatment. And don’t forget the various insect bites like flies, mosquitoes and bee stings, that can be soothed simply by rubbing some tea tree oil on.

A drop of tea tree diluted in a bit of oil can work great around your sinuses. Rub around sinuses or put a few drops in a steam bath or vaporizer. You can also put a few drops onto a tissue or handkerchief. Add 5-10 drops to steaming hot water for an inhalant.

The oil can even be used internally by adding a couple of drops to juice to soothe a sore throat. Mixed with water, it’s also useful as a mouthwash for a variety of mouth and gum problems.

Even your pets can benefit from the use of tea tree oil. Besides deterring those pesky pet insects like fleas and ticks, using a few drops of tea tree oil in pet shampoo will help alleviate odor problems.

Tea tree oil is most often found in health food stores and pharmacies. You’ll also find it as an additive in many of the products available for the various conditions and problems mentioned early. You’ll probably find it more economical to buy your own bottle and add it to the products you want. A small bottle will actually go a long ways.

Often called “first aid kit in a bottleâ€, the oil is actually useful for much more than just first aid. No matter what your ailment, you just might want to test it out.

Tea tree is safe for virtually all skin types. Someone with sensitive skin may want to dilute the oil and anyone with reactions should quit using it and consult their doctor for remedies.

Source: Uses for tea tree oil

Originally Posted by CubNan /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think I've also read about some women using it for acne? I use it on my spots and it does a great job at shrinking them and also reduces the redness.

I just recently bought Australian tea tree oil from GNC cuz I read that it's good for clearing up acne and it's natural. So, I bought it this smalll bottle for 15 bucks and it didn't do anything! It smells horrible, I thought it would clear up acne real fast but I have broken out and it didn't do anything for my skin at all.

you can use it as a spot treatment, just mix a few drops with a vegetable oil of your choice.

you can also use it to disinfect your hands (mixed with water).

Originally Posted by xXxBeckyxXx /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use it on my spots and it does a great job at shrinking them and also reduces the redness. ITA. The smell isn't too pleasant, but I spot treat at night and it helps to shrink faster. Be careful not to overdo it though since it can dry out the skin.

Latest posts

Back