The acrylic nails are off *cry*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welp, I decided to take my nails off last weekend. Just thought I'd give my natural nails a breather. I did it the "right" way, soaked them in acetone, then had to do a little filing at the end to get some residue off. When I was done, I had preserved the length of all 10 nails! I was happy until I realized how paper thin they were...I couldn't do anything w/o them bending and breaking. So I ended up cutting them all down as short as possible. My hands look deformed and hideous now!!! I hate it. But that's not my problem. My real issue is that my skin, cuticles, my whole fingertips are so dry, cracked and peeling. So are the nails themselves. Layer upon layer seems to be peeling away. I slather lotion on as much as possible but it's not working. I actually have some spots on my cuticles that are bleeding. I assume this is from soaking in the acetone? Does anyone have a home remedy to heal and moisturize my hands? Or a really effective product you've tried?

TIA!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by glamslam Welp, I decided to take my nails off last weekend. Just thought I'd give my natural nails a breather. I did it the "right" way, soaked them in acetone, then had to do a little filing at the end to get some residue off. When I was done, I had preserved the length of all 10 nails! I was happy until I realized how paper thin they were...I couldn't do anything w/o them bending and breaking. So I ended up cutting them all down as short as possible. My hands look deformed and hideous now!!! I hate it. But that's not my problem. My real issue is that my skin, cuticles, my whole fingertips are so dry, cracked and peeling. So are the nails themselves. Layer upon layer seems to be peeling away. I slather lotion on as much as possible but it's not working. I actually have some spots on my cuticles that are bleeding. I assume this is from soaking in the acetone? Does anyone have a home remedy to heal and moisturize my hands? Or a really effective product you've tried?
TIA!
wink.gif

I've only had acrylics once. I wore them for about three weeks and then removed them. They had ruined all of my nails in that short period of time. That tells you how horrible they are for your nails and cuticles. Anyway, I had the same problem you're having, dryness and some bleeding. I used a mixture of Vaseline and udder cream for about a week, especially overnight with a pair of plastic gloves over it. It helped a lot, but of course your hands won't be fully cured until your new skin & nails grow in.

i took mine off a month or so ago. there is really nothing you can do get that sally hansen stuff it's blue and you massage it into your nails and cuticles. my aunt swears by it. i didn't put nail polish on my nails til they grew out and were stronger (like last week was the first time i put polish on) it took me awhile to get used to my hands with short nails. but i had my nails on for like 3 years it was time for them to have a break again. I had had them on b4 then for like 5 or more years without a break then i took a break and had them off and then got them done during bike week 3 years ago and had them done ever since. you need to give your nails a break every now and then.

I don't know of any type of home remedy but when I used to get my nails taken off, I would use Nailtique to protect and make them stronger.

300.jpg

i used to get my nails done every so often. it got too expensive trying to get them re-done or if they broke. i used to take them off the bad way though. with peeling them off
icon_eek.gif
i haven't had fakies for a few years and won't be getting them ever again.

is there a clear type of nail stuff to put on? like a strengthener(sp?)? i know a lot of lines have stuff that is supposed ot help your nails. it may help with the fragileness of your nails right now.

My friend's nails are like stone and super long (longer than I've ever had them with acrylics) and she used Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. (The clear treatment) and she had really thin nails too.
icon_wink.gif

Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Instant Nail Hardener is amazing stuff - you should check it out! That's what I use when I get my acrylics off, and my nails, though thin, are strong. Good luck!
smile.gif

i got my acrylics back on 2 weeks ago and my hands look so much more attractive and i have horrible nails because i've had acrylics on lots. the nails would grow into my skin instead of above (if they got long), so i use these to make them grow longer.

p.s. check your PMs, glamslam
smile.gif

I agree, lots of cream and plastic glove over at night should help a bit.

Originally Posted by spazbaby I've only had acrylics once. I wore them for about three weeks and then removed them. They had ruined all of my nails in that short period of time. That tells you how horrible they are for your nails and cuticles. Anyway, I had the same problem you're having, dryness and some bleeding. I used a mixture of Vaseline and udder cream for about a week, especially overnight with a pair of plastic gloves over it. It helped a lot, but of course your hands won't be fully cured until your new skin & nails grow in.

For your nails, I think you really just need to let them grow out. For your hands and cuticles vaseline with socks on them at night always worked for me. Also, the other day I was at my sisters and I tried some Nivea Nightime Hand treatment (blue tube). All I can say is Oh My God!-My hands were sosoft in 5 minutes.

i personally don't use anything using petrolatum, petrolium or mineral oil. get cotton gloves for bedtime and i would suggest using the body shop's body butter and put some on your hands b4 bed and cover with cotton gloves.

crabtree and evelyn has the 60 second repair set that works wonderful my mom got it for christmas and she really likes it it's like mary kay's satin hands without the mineral oil/petrolatum/petrolium in it.

Oh man, great suggestions! Thanks for the specific product names as well as the general tips! My poor hands are gonna get pampered.

Latest posts

Back