The Anti-RAPE condom!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Credit to jjb-ezboard.

<hr size="1"> <!--EZCODE IMAGE START-->
antirapecondom_wideweb__430x341.jpg
<!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->

A South African inventor has unveiled a new anti-rape female condom that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex", a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too preoccupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100 kilometres east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy co-ordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is medieval and barbaric - an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.

I, personally, am all for this thing!

I saw this the other day in an email. I'm all for it too.

I thought it was an interesting gadget, but it makes me wonder if women would actually use this on a daily basis if they were concerned about their safety.

IMO- If you rape someone you deserve to have the damage done!

Agreed! But I would be concerned about stickin that thing up there knowing it has those little prickly things inside it. What if one decided to poke through?!

wow,i amazed it took this long for someone to come up with something like this!!!I am all for it,although i would be a lil afraid of using something with spikes .

Originally Posted by glitter1391 It sounds good and all, but my concern is what happens when it claps on to the penis? My guess is that it will bleed. What happens if that blood get on u? Diseases will still spread. *The device, made of latex and......It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.*

so it is like a condom, nothing gets transfered on the female body. In countries like South Africa, where not much is being done to protect women and their young daughters, this could be like a god send invention. I honestly don't care if this guy can never pee again. In fact, I wish he would pee on himself for the rest of his life.

Back