The Cosmetic Report - Spring Color reviews

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#b09cc0>THE COSMETIC REPORT </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Report Date Start -->February 16, 2005 <!-- Report Date End -->

<!-- Begin Report Text -->Greetings from the Cosmetic Report<SUP>â„¢</SUP> newsletter! We hope you enjoy our straightforward approach to beauty products and trends. If you've been searching for real women's experiences and advice on beauty and wellness, that's what Cosmetic Connection is all about. Our panel of reviewers are consumers just like you who face the same issues and challenges, and look to the beauty industry to help solve them. Thanks for reading!

Lisa is in her early thirties, and hails from from Columbus, Ohio. She has very fair skin that tends to be "combination," with unexpected rages of sensitivity. Lisa's heritage is rather mixed - mostly Hungarian, with some Scottish and French mixed in with a dash of Native American. Her very fair skin tans like nobody's business, and produces a myriad of freckles, so she always wears plenty of sunscreen (Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-lite spf 30). Lisa has golden-green eyes, and mop-thick brown hair, which she keeps under control with Terax Conditioner. Lisa's main beauty concerns are puffy, sensitive, "circled" eyes, (which she remedies with Creme de La Mer applied at night, and Avon Lighten Up Plus in the daytime) and keeping her sensitive skin calm and clear.

LISA'S SPRING COLORS 2005 REPORT

As we suffer through the dog days of winter here in the Midwest, I can think of nothing more appealing than springtime! The snow will start to taper off soon, and the spring melt will be here before we know it. I, personally, cannot wait - I prefer sunshine and heat to the barren tundra of an Ohio winter. Brrrrrrr!

Of course, we are already seeing the beginnings of the spring makeup collections. I can honestly say that spring 2005 is one of the most beautiful trends I've seen in awhile. Lots of sun-kissed neutrals, beautiful gilded pinks, and nude, shimmering washes of color, and the occasional bright shade for the eyes. I love almost everything I've put my hands on! If you favor soft and wearable, you'll be wild over these new offerings. Here is some of what I've sampled thus far...

Nars Lip Gloss in "Orgasm" ($22 at Sephora.comhttp://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=SuLF8W6yEe4&bids=31777.10000001&type=3&subid=0'>http://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=SuLF8W6yEe4&bids=31777.10000001&type=3&subid=0'>http://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=SuLF8W6yEe4&bids=31777.10000001&type=3&subid=0)

If you love the blush, this is the lip iteration. Orgasm is a very wearable pink-gold flush that will leave your lips looking luscious and natural, all at once. I love Nars gloss, and I can already tell that this will be a repeat purchase for me. The gloss is moisturizing, with just the slightest bit of tackiness to keep it in place, as well as being highly pigmented.

Dessert Beauty Lip Gloss in "Slip" ($22 at Sephora.com)

What a surprise this lip gloss was! I got a sample of it as an extra goodie from Sephora.comhttp://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=SuLF8W6yEe4&bids=31777.10000001&type=3&subid=0, and thought the bright pink with pink shimmer would be all wrong for me (I tend to shy away from bright colors on my lips). I was amazed at how this color perked up my complexion! The gloss is not sticky at all, and very moisturizing. It even has a bit of stimulating extracts that plump up lips, and get the blood flowing a bit. The color is really sheer, and might just be the perfect pink shade for making my alabaster-colored skin look more porcelain than pallid. The flavor is also divine - a tart berry flavor that is truly yummy.

Benefit Cosmetics "Jewels of the Amazon" Collection

Benefit's spring line focuses on a sun-kissed glow with a re-vamp of an old favorite, Glamazon bronzing liquid ($26). The old Glamazon was a little too brown for my pale skin, but this new formula is decidedly more pinkish, with a touch of jasmine scent. I use it almost daily, and people always comment on my "tan." Easy to apply and blend (use it over moisturizer, before powder or anything else for best results) this is a great, quick alternative to self-tanners that take longer to develop.

The other products in the line are Jewels Of The Amazon - Liquid Lip & Cheek Glimmer, amazing little bottles of shimmering, liquid-powder pigments for eyes or cheeks/lips ($18 each) that dry to a powder finish. For lips and cheeks, chose from "Your Place or Vine?" (pale coral), "Throw Me a Vine" (rose quartz), or "Dressed to the Vines" (golden topaz). Even though they dry to a powder, I didn't find them the least bit dehydrating to my cheeks or lips. The neutral colors have a golden shimmer, and should work with almost any complexion. I love how the golden glow made my pale, winter skin look sun-kissed and pretty.

For eyes, there was one choice, "Gimme and Outside Vine", a soft, taupe-pink with shimmer that opens eyes, and makes them look rested and pretty. While the formula is virtually mistake-proof (just use a light hand, and blend in with your pinky finger), you should probably avoid it when your eyes are puffy.

You can find Benefit products at BenefitCosmetics.com, Sephora.comhttp://ad.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/show?id=SuLF8W6yEe4&bids=31777.10000001&type=3&subid=0, Sephora stores, and Benefit cosmetic counters at department stores near you.

Estee Lauder "Primitive Instinct" Collection

Estee Lauder takes the same sun-kissed approach for their spring collection, but ramps up the color more than most of the other lines. Pure Color Eye Shadow ($20 each) is highly pigmented, with a shimmer that adds a slight "color-shift" quality to the shades. I tried "Orange Pop" (a bright but sheer golden-orange) and "Orchid" (a true purple with a touch of blue). Both shades were bright, but as long as I was sporting my faux tan, they actually looked rather pretty. If you are very pale, though, these might not be the best shades for you; medium and dark skintones, however, will look lovely sporting these vivid colors.

I really liked the Pure Color Crystal Lipstick ($22) in "Crystal Tiger," a bronze-berry shade with incredible shine and a lightweight, moisturizing feel. This is a deep color, but you can easily blot it down to a soft stain. In the evening, I tend to make this lip color (applied full-strength) as the focus, with just a touch of nude shadow and mascara.

You can find this new collection from Estee Lauder at esteelauder.com, gloss.com, or an Estee Lauder counter near you.

Smashbox "Light Source" Collection

Smashbox Cosmetics favors soft, peachy-pink shades for complexion and lips, with a sheer, vibrant pop of color on the eyes. My favorite item in the line is the Soft Lights Powder in "Highlight" ($26). This sheer powder highlights cheeks with a soft, golden peach shade that adds a layer of warmth without a "tan" look. I loved how it perked up my skin without being overtly bright.

For lips, I tried the Lipstick in "Sunlight" ($16), a golden pink-peach, and Lip Gel in "Bulb" ($18), a sheer pink with a slight violet hue. Both shades were sheer and wearable. The lipstick was great - moisturizing and well-pigmented - and while I liked the color of the lip gel (which is actually a gloss formula), it was a bit too sticky for my taste. However, it does have some staying power, so if you don't plan on smooching anyone, this would be a fine choice.

For eyes, I used the Eye Shadow Duo in "Daylight" ($24). These colors, a lime green and true pink, looked like they wouldn't work at all for me, but applied judiciously with a light hand, they were a pretty change of pace. These won't be my "everyday shades," but we all need to experiment once in awhile.

I was also taken with the Transparencies Color Mousse for face in "Spotlight" ($18), a true coral shade. This is a super-light mousse with sheer, bright color for cheeks (or eyes - but it wouldn't be an option for me in this shade). Since they are weightless, you could also easily layer more than one color for desired effect. Transparencies come in 6 shades, and are a wonderful color innovation. Definitely one of my favorite "new" formulas this season.

You can find Smashbox at smashbox.com, qvc.com, and nordstrom.com.

So, spring has definitely sprung in my makeup closet, and that is definitely a good thing. I'm certainly more apt to apply self-tanner this spring, and accent my faux-bronze with all these great new colors. If you are still gun-shy about self-tanner, give it a try. New formulas are so much more natural (and forgiving) than those orange-horrors of the past. Exfoliate thoroughly first, with a product that rinses clean, like a cream exfoliator with jojoba beads - don't use a salt or sugar scrub before self-tanning because they can change the color of self-tanner, and the oils tend to make it "slide" across the skin. I personally like to mix tinted, self-tanning cream with regular body lotion at about a 50-50 ratio the first few times. As you build up a bit of color, and become more confident with application, you can then increase the tanner-to-lotion ratio, or use the self-tanner full strength. After you have a start of color, the self-tanning sprays and mousses are easy to navigate, and provide application options.

Remember: real sun and tanning beds will age your skin, and can cause a rough texture, and areas of hyperpigmentation. Self tanners add the glow minus the damage, and look far more radiant than the real thing. We hope your enjoyed our annual spring color report!

Latest posts

Back