The look for less or not?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you get a little frustrated at magazines that show a runway look for "less"? I do because I say to myself "you can get that for even less than that". I mean if you don't care about a name on your clothing you can definitely find similar outfits for less that look EXACTLY the same or the stuff could be even makeable for less. Like CosmoGirl January issue they show a t-shirt that says "Moody" and it's $32 dollars. I imagine someone could make a similar shirt for less. I don't think I could stand to pay that much for a plain t-shirt with a word on it. Anyway, just my opinion.

i know that i could do better than some of those magazines. i love thrifting & trying to replicate things on a budget. i'm also on a vintage kick right now & don't want to look like everyone else, so i tend to mimic stuff w/a different edge.

the Look For Less show on Style used to be fun, but is so incredibly boring now. in past seasons, they'd have a "celebrity" take a $100 challenge to see what s/he could come up with & no time limit. it showed creativity while on a budget. now, it's all about trying to copy stuff for less & that's not too much fun.

i can't sew, but i certainly know that changing a few buttons or adding sequins to something would make a $10 item look better. but $32 on a t-shirt is just insane, especially. just goes to show how marketing toward tweens/teens/young adults is becoming more & more absurd.

I wish I could have $100 dollars and no time limit and show people what I could get.
biggrin.gif
That would be fun. I never watched the show during that time period or something. Now it is all about replicating looks for less, BUT I still feel I could go even cheaper than they are.

I'm not usually one to jump onto trends... I did, but then i realized I ended up with a closet full of things I bought "in style" last month, that are now totally out of style. (And a lot of wasted $$) Now if I get anything trendy, I'll usually buy it at a cheaper store like Dots or Marshalls, becuase half the time, it will go out of style before the 2nd time you get to wear it... LOL

I need to go to Marshall's really bad. I don't usually go for anyone style. But, when I see something in a magazine I like and they are trying to do the look for less it's frustrating ... especially when there's a plain shirt or something in there somewhere ... I just wonder why they didn't hit up wal-mart or something. But, I know that's because they don't want to say "and this shirt from wal-mart" when they have all these other BIG name brands.

Definitely TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory. I've gotten lots of brand name things from those stores. I don't buy name brand to buy name brand, but I buy for quality. I have a hard time finding jeans that fit me well, and I've gotten Tommy Hilfiger jeans from those stores for excellent prices!

I have the same opinion. I always see this in magazines. Like the original outfit will be a couple of thousand dollars or something and then they do a knockoff for a couple hundred and i'm like i could get that whole outfit for about $50.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I'm not usually one to jump onto trends... I did, but then i realized I ended up with a closet full of things I bought "in style" last month, that are now totally out of style. (And a lot of wasted $$) Now if I get anything trendy, I'll usually buy it at a cheaper store like Dots or Marshalls, becuase half the time, it will go out of style before the 2nd time you get to wear it... LOL Just curious, which trendy items did you buy that are now out of style?

Latest posts

Back