The Make-Less Maven

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I'm Elle. I don't post threads on makeup talk often (although I do happen to lurk around at the forums, reviews and galleries in awe of all the beauty bliss). I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, I'm not sure if I ever will. However, I am in need of some help when it comes to applying makeup. This is a very broad question and I don't expect anyone on here to give me the step by steps. My biggest concerns are applying blush and eye make up to match my cheek and eye shapes correctly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I have palettes of eye shadow and blush that just sit around in my bathroom and not a clue on what to do with them. Generally, I apply primer, foundation, blush, eyeliner on my upper eyelid and mascara with some lipstick and call it day (THIS is on a day when I'm getting 'dolled up'). I like the simplicity but goodness gracious I AM SO BORED! I'm getting a little older and I want my age (mid 20s) to reflect my look. I'm not super girly but I'm also not androgynous and I'm starting to think that's how my look is coming off. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Help? Tips? Tutorials? Suggestions on how to get my eyes to POP and my blush to make my cheeks enviable? I'm not trying to be a makeup artist, just need to switch up my look a bit. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Here are some pix of me (this last one is makeupless) [/SIZE]

Have you tried playing with different color combos on your eyes?

There are palettes that come in 3 color coordinated combos that you could play with or pull them from your own palettes. I did a quick search on applying eyeshadow tutorials and came up with this that shows what I am talking about. 

There is also a variety of ways to contour your cheekbones as well as other areas you might like:

Its hard for us to sa what you should do but you could try making an appt at a MAC or a Sephora and work with a MAU to get what you need for your facial structure.

Your cheeks are so beautifully prominent! The best way to make them stand out more is to take some bronzer first, and suck in your cheeks (so you look like youre puckering your lips like a fish) and put the bronzer into the natural shadowing that you can see when you suck in your cheeks. Blend that up towards your actual cheekbones (just so you don't have this harsh line of bronzer). Next is blush. Smile really big (like the man of your dreams just asked you out on a date) And apply blush going from your cheekbones and get LIGHTER as you blend towards the apples of your cheeks (which are the more rounded parts of your cheeks in the front). You don't want to look like a clown so try to make the pigment darker on the cheekbones and get lighter as you go inward. Last you can add a highligiht (i usually dont unless i have a night out or something because it's a little excessive haha) and just put a light shimmer from your temples to the apples of your cheeks (sliightly higher than your blush).

You have the perfect eye for a cat-eye look. I would have whatever color you want to use on your eye where your lidspace is (that part that you can see when your eyes are closed, it is the space under your browbone area) and at the corners of your eyes blend in a dark color like black or brown (just follow the natural shape of your eye with this). Then I would add some winged liquid eyeliner! Don't line the bottom lid too harshly because you have such a good eye shape. Just add some liner and then smoke/blend it out so it looks softer. :)

This probably sounded really complicated but I hope it helped!!

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried playing with different color combos on your eyes?

There are palettes that come in 3 color coordinated combos that you could play with or pull them from your own palettes. I did a quick search on applying eyeshadow tutorials and came up with this that shows what I am talking about. 

There is also a variety of ways to contour your cheekbones as well as other areas you might like:

Its hard for us to sa what you should do but you could try making an appt at a MAC or a Sephora and work with a MAU to get what you need for your facial structure.
Thanks for that tutorial. I knew there was a specific way to apply multi colors of eyeshadow but I was not 100% sure. I just hate seeing women wear one shade of eye shadow over their eyelids and that's it. It looks so junior high.

I'm familiar with the nose contouring, altought I may need to dry different products and least for the middle, do you use concealer, foundation or some type of light powder to conture the bridge of your nose? I'm going to try the cheek contouring, I have the same question for this. I'm assume the "dark" shade" is your blush, what product is the light shade supposed to be?

I will dfeinitely be visitng MAC again soon but until then, thanks!

Okay. Will basing my cheeks with bronzer make my peach tone blush look brown or bring the color out? My favorite is orgasm by NARS although I'm thinking of trying something new.

I really like the cat eye idea! I usually don't use eye liner on the bottom anyways, I think my eyes are too small for that, maybe just line the bottom half way?

Originally Posted by kissamakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your cheeks are so beautifully prominent! The best way to make them stand out more is to take some bronzer first, and suck in your cheeks (so you look like youre puckering your lips like a fish) and put the bronzer into the natural shadowing that you can see when you suck in your cheeks. Blend that up towards your actual cheekbones (just so you don't have this harsh line of bronzer). Next is blush. Smile really big (like the man of your dreams just asked you out on a date) And apply blush going from your cheekbones and get LIGHTER as you blend towards the apples of your cheeks (which are the more rounded parts of your cheeks in the front). You don't want to look like a clown so try to make the pigment darker on the cheekbones and get lighter as you go inward. Last you can add a highligiht (i usually dont unless i have a night out or something because it's a little excessive haha) and just put a light shimmer from your temples to the apples of your cheeks (sliightly higher than your blush).

You have the perfect eye for a cat-eye look. I would have whatever color you want to use on your eye where your lidspace is (that part that you can see when your eyes are closed, it is the space under your browbone area) and at the corners of your eyes blend in a dark color like black or brown (just follow the natural shape of your eye with this). Then I would add some winged liquid eyeliner! Don't line the bottom lid too harshly because you have such a good eye shape. Just add some liner and then smoke/blend it out so it looks softer. :)

This probably sounded really complicated but I hope it helped!!

The darker shade is usually like a bronzer or concealer, the lighter shade is your blush.

Here is another contouring map. You wouldn't put on your make up this heavy, just as a FYI. This was done just so you could see the areas that were being highlighted versus those that were being lowlighted.

In regards to your blush, you would put your darker concealer at the area where it shows the dark strip below (The "hallow"of the cheek) and then your blush on the area above that and the apple of the cheek.

Originally Posted by theEclectanista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for that tutorial. I knew there was a specific way to apply multi colors of eyeshadow but I was not 100% sure. I just hate seeing women wear one shade of eye shadow over their eyelids and that's it. It looks so junior high.

I'm familiar with the nose contouring, altought I may need to dry different products and least for the middle, do you use concealer, foundation or some type of light powder to conture the bridge of your nose? I'm going to try the cheek contouring, I have the same question for this. I'm assume the "dark" shade" is your blush, what product is the light shade supposed to be?

I will dfeinitely be visitng MAC again soon but until then, thanks!

You don't want to put the bronzer right on your cheeks, like posted above you want to concentrate it in the hallows, I just suggest blending it up a little so it's not a deep, harsh line. Your blush would go right above, and would slightly blend with the bronzer underneath (this should come naturally when you're actually applying). It doesn't effect the color of my blush when I do it, I use MAC earth to earth blush :)

You can line the bottom half way and then take a brush, and just blend it through the rest of the eye (so it's like a fade from darker liner to lighter to none, going toward the inner corners of the eye!)

Originally Posted by theEclectanista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay. Will basing my cheeks with bronzer make my peach tone blush look brown or bring the color out? My favorite is orgasm by NARS although I'm thinking of trying something new.

I really like the cat eye idea! I usually don't use eye liner on the bottom anyways, I think my eyes are too small for that, maybe just line the bottom half way?

Okay thanks again. I will visit MAC and see if I can get some assistance finding a darker concealer for contouring. This was really helpful.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The darker shade is usually like a bronzer or concealer, the lighter shade is your blush.

Here is another contouring map. You wouldn't put on your make up this heavy, just as a FYI. This was done just so you could see the areas that were being highlighted versus those that were being lowlighted.

In regards to your blush, you would put your darker concealer at the area where it shows the dark strip below (The "hallow"of the cheek) and then your blush on the area above that and the apple of the cheek.

thank you, this is also very helpful. Can't wait to try these tips, I will post pix!

Originally Posted by kissamakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You don't want to put the bronzer right on your cheeks, like posted above you want to concentrate it in the hallows, I just suggest blending it up a little so it's not a deep, harsh line. Your blush would go right above, and would slightly blend with the bronzer underneath (this should come naturally when you're actually applying). It doesn't effect the color of my blush when I do it, I use MAC earth to earth blush :)

You can line the bottom half way and then take a brush, and just blend it through the rest of the eye (so it's like a fade from darker liner to lighter to none, going toward the inner corners of the eye!)

Latest posts

Back