The Project Pan Thread for Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a few of us working on project pans for our makeup collection so I figured I'd start a thread to post goals, pics, support when we get tired of using the same items, etc.  I'm not doing a specific number of items...I just picked a few that I want to finish up.  

Here are my project pan items:

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash eyeshadow in Rose Gold - love this color & its perfect for summer.  BUT I have so many other eyeshadows (yes I'm looking at you Naked 1 & Naked 3 palettes) that I'm going to try to finish this one up and and move on to others. There's already a lot of pan showing but lots more e/s left in the pan.

Avon Ultra Color Lipstick in Toasted Rose - One of my favorite lipsticks, but I have others I need to give some love to so I'm going to finish this one up and move on to some others.

LORAC Behind the Scenes Eyeshadow Primer- I've had this the longest out of all my primers. It works pretty good so I think I'll use this everyday till its finished.

Avon Ideal Flawless Pressed Powder - I've hit pan on this but It may be a bit challenging for me to finish this up anytime soon since I've been constantly wearing my mineral foundation lately.  I will use this to reduce shine if needed though.

Avon True Color e/s single in Copper - This one is fairly new and doesn't even have a dent in it yet, but it goes so well with my Bobbi Brown rose gold e/s if figured I'd work on this one too.

DSCN2839.JPG

This is an awesome thread! I like the idea of a thread just for project pan items and more focused on the project itself. I'll be coming on to post my list and progress. 

Oooooo totally joining. I need to do this and I've told myself I have to use up at least 5 things before I can buy more makeup. I'll go through and decide/post tonight when I'm home!

Hi! I want to join this aswell. I don't know how to add pictures, but I have 30 products all in all that are my project pan for this year. When I finish a product I immediatly swap it out with something new to finish. It's working really well, and I've used up quite alot lately! I have mostly fullsized to work on, but also deluxe foundations etc. So here's my list:

1. Hanskin BB Cream
2. A.T Fox Lip Crayon Pencil 
3. Banila Co CC Cream (deluxe)
4. Too Cool For School Cc Cream (deluxe)
5. Loreal Voluminous Million Lashes mascara
6. Lancome Defincils Mascara
7. Model Co Mascara
8. Nyx HD Concealer
9. Etude House Dear Girls Pact
10. Maybelline Color TattooBarely Branded
11 Color Tattoo - Inked In Pink
12. Etude House Baby Choux Base - Green
13.Makeupmekka Gel liner (norwegian brand)
14. Revlon Colorstay Foundation
15.Wet N Wild Megamix Bronzer
16.Lancome Kohl Eyeliner in Black
17. Ardell Lashgrip
18. Sumita Brow Set
19. Anastasia Brow Wiz - Dark Brown (deluxe)
20. Lioele Brow Pencil - GreyBrown
21. Burt's Bees Acai Berry Lip balm
22. Nars Orgasm/Laguna DUO
23. Benefit Hello Flawless
24. Holika Holika Jewel Eyeliner - 18k Gold
25. Too Faced Shadow Insurance
26. Etude House Grapefruit Jelly Blush
27. Too Faced No Makeup Makeup Palette (cream blush)
28. Revlon Lipbutter Creme Brulee
29. Thebalm Mary Lou Manizer
30. The Balm Frat Boy Blush

DSCN8419.JPG

Okay, here's mine. There are only a few things I am actively trying to finish at the moment, though I should probably try to add more.

Revlon highlighter/primer thing (Touche Eclat knockoff, label worn off): doesn't do much so I just use it under my eyes on days I'm not wearing much makeup

CoverGirl eyebrow pencil: trying to use it up so I can start using my Benefit Gimme Brow (though I think I actually like this pencil better)

CoverGirl powder: almost done! But there's still enough here to use it a few more times

Mica gel eyeliner: I don't wear cat eye or black liner that often, but this is starting to dry up, so I've been using it at the base of my lashes to make them look fuller. I hate that it dries super hard on the brush really quickly and that means I have to wash my brush every time I use it. I'm too lazy for that!

Wet N Wild eye primer: I actually like this better than all of the more expensive primers I've tried, but I have others that I need to use too, so I want to finish this one before it dries up

Avon lip gloss in Apple Cinnamon: This will not die! I'm getting really bored with the color, which wasn't my favorite to begin with, so I've been combining it with various lip liners/lipsticks try to make it more interesting

God, how gross is my too faced palette?! Oh well.

Rules for my project pan:

- I must list 10 items to finish completely

- items must be eyeshadow, liner, a lip product, a face powder (powder, bronzer, highlighter), or blush. Foundation doesn't count (I don't hoard it and only have 3 open currently), mascara doesn't count (too easy), concealor doens't count ( see: foundation), primer doesn't count (I have an HG and don't stray so it goes fast)

- once I finish FIVE items in full (completly gone), I am allowed to buy one lip product, eyeliner, or face product (blush/highlighter/bronzer) of my choosing.

- once 5 items are gone, I must replace them with 5 more on the list.

- once TEN items are gone (total), I may buy an eyeshadow palette of my choice.

- NONE of the project pan items may be purchased outside of the rules!

- dropping something and breaking it does not count as used up! (I drop a lot of things :rolleyes: )

- I do NOT have to use these items every day, I just can't buy anything until they are gone, so it's in my best interest to use them!

- I am starting out with things that have decent dents and focus on two palettes so I don't get discouraged.

======================================================================

1. Too Faced Chocolate Milk eyeshadow (A Few of My Favorite Things palette). Hit pan. A lot left.

2. Urban Decay Sin Eyeshadow (Ammo Palette). Hit Pan. 3/4 of the way done.

3. Urban Decay Smog Eyeshadow (Ammo Palette). Hit Pan. About 1/2 done.

4. Sephora Flashy Liner eyeliner in brown. 3/4 of the way done.

5. E.L.F Studio Blush in Tickled Pink. Hit pan. Probably 1/2 done.

6. NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee. Probably 3/4 of it left but I HAVE to start paring down my butter gloss stash. Not that I don't want more. I do. I so want more. But I have so many, I have to start using them more regularly.

7. NYX Butter Lipstick in Cotton Candy. Half done.

8. Too Faced Cream Colored Ponies eyeshadow (A Few of My Favorite Things palette). Big dent. No pan yet, but probably close

9. Urban Decay Last Call eyeshadow (Ammo Palette). Big dent. No pan yet. Probably not that close if sin and smog were any indication!

10. Too Faced Taffy eyeshadow (A Few of My Favorite Things Palette). Lonnngggg way to go. Not even a dent. But it's one of the most wearable for me, so I think it'll be the easiest.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea! I'm going to do a project 5 pan for eyeshadows. No better way to de-lurk than a project pan, eh? 

Not going to focus on using them up - for now I'm happy with just hitting pan. This means I'll also be using other shadows but focusing on my project 5 pan shades. And no new eyeshadow until I've hit pan on these (probably not even then)! Here are the shadows I chose (please excuse the blurry pics, didn't feel like digging up my camera):

mauu5pan062014.jpg

MAC Woodwinked single and four shades from the Wet n' Wild Vanity palette: gold, shimmery brown, light matte brown and dark matte brown. The Vanity palette has great shades but I've had it for years and the lid broke off a long time ago, so I would like to eventually use up all the shades and get rid of the palette.

I also want to use up three Stila lip glazes:

mauu5pan062014lip.jpg

I got them over a year ago, so they really need to be used up. Luckily they're the smaller 1.5 ml/0.05 fl oz size from the All is Bright set. In this pic you can see how the text rubs off, bleh. Here are the names of the glosses:

mauu5pan062014lip2.jpg

According to Stila's descriptions, Jingle is a coral pink (looks more like peach to me tbh), Jack Frost is a sheer, shimmery peach and Holly is a strawberry red with no shimmer. I've also got Black Cherry from the same set but I'm saving it for fall since it's a darker shade. 

This is an awesome thread! I like the idea of a thread just for project pan items and more focused on the project itself. I'll be coming on to post my list and progress.
Glad you're joining in! You were the one that inspired me to do a project pan in the first place. :)

Glad you're joining in! You were the one that inspired me to do a project pan in the first place. :)
:wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:

You're making me blush! Thanks for having me :D

Alright, so like my love @@BSquared, I am going to be making my rules and list. Though honestly, life situations have currently changed and now I am not in any NEED to burn through products, so my project pan is more aimed at getting use out of them rather than completing by a specific date.

As you will see, most of my items are ....almost entirely unused. That's my problem. There's a lot of makeup in the exact same condition in my collection. So really, I just want to get some use out of it (except for the cream products, those HAVE to get finished before they go bad).

Here are my rules:

=====================================================================================

1. No buying any more makeup. When things are used up, replace with something else from the stash.

2. Items on the no buy have to be makeup items. 

3. Items must be completely used up, not just hit pan, and things that break don't count as finished.

4. The only time I am allowed to just toss something without emptying it is if I can't get it to work in any possible way and/or it's making my rosacea freak out.

5. I am allowed to use these items in conjunction with other items, so as not to just neglect my makeup stash for months. =D I certainly don't have to wear JUST my PP items every day.

=====================================================================================

There it is.

1403882761.629666.IMG_7989.JPG

1403882835.542765.IMG_7991.JPG

List

Powder Eyeshadow

Mac All That Glitters

Mac Shroom

Ben Nye "Black" Shadow single

Cream Eyeshadow

Maybelline Color Tattoo Bad to the Bronze

Maybelline Color Tattoo Barely Branded

Maybelline Color Tattoo Rich Mahogany

Blush

Tarte blush in Exposed

Nars blush in Torrid

Cargo blush in Tonga (already hit pan)

Bronzer

NYC bronzer in Sunny

Nars bronzer blush in Zen

Tarte Park Ave Princess bronzer, deluxe sample

Eyeliner

UD 24/7 liner in Zero

Rimmel Scandaleyes in brown

Stila Liquid Liner Pencil

Lip products

Revlon lip butter in pink truffle (done by Monday!), to be replaced with Mac lipstick in bare again 

Revlon lip butter in Fig **NOT PICTURED

Mac cremesheen lip glass in Looks Like Sin (done in a week or so), to be replaced with Revlon LB in Raspberry Pie **NOT PICTURED

Concealer

Mac Studio finish concealer in NC35

Bobbi brown corrector in Peach

Sephora Concealer (discontinued)

Miscellaneous

UDPP in Original (love this and will probably repurchase but there's A LOT of it left and this is getting old, so have to use, and throwing it in here).

I'm joining this!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been keeping track of everything I've bought or used up since january, and my goal is that by new years I will have twice as many empties as new purchases. So far I've done very well with makeup products and failed miserably with body/skincare/everything but makeup :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My reward if I succeed (I probably wont) will be an eyeshadow palette :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm also doping a project pan to help clear out a bunch of old and probably expired makeup. I started this in april with a list of 20 products of which i will have to finish 10 for it to be concidered complete. I like this way of doing it because there is no way I will be able to finish like there blushes and two eyeshadow quads, but if they are on the list I will use them anyway. Hopefully I'll be done with this in a couple of months, since I've finished four products already :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@lyncaf  Ooooh, I spotted that Avon Glazewear lipgloss right away.  Avon is my weakness and makes up the majority of my stash.  I love the glazewear lipglosses.  I was so bummed that when they redid the line they discontinued my favorite color...Mauve Movement.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have 4 other colors though that I have to work my way through.

Woot! that pressed powder is as good as gone.  How do you even get the remainder from the compact? Lol

@@lyncaf  Ooooh, I spotted that Avon Glazewear lipgloss right away.  Avon is my weakness and makes up the majority of my stash.  I love the glazewear lipglosses.  I was so bummed that when they redid the line they discontinued my favorite color...Mauve Movement.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have 4 other colors though that I have to work my way through.

Woot! that pressed powder is as good as gone.  How do you even get the remainder from the compact? Lol
They are such good glosses! Are the new versions the same, other than some colors being gone (boo)?

I think I can get 2 more uses out of the powder by swirling the brush in the corner a lot. It's probably not worth the effort, but for some reason it's more satisfying if I really don't leave anything in there!

Project Pan 6-28-14.JPG

1. Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro: this is the only primer that I have open. Unfortunately, I can't tell how much I have left (can't see through the tube even when I put it to the light).

2. L'Oreal True Match Foundation (W4 - Natural Beige): I mixed my Maybelline WaterGel BB Cream (from East Asia) into this to lighten the color. The bottle is currently half-full and I'm really trying to use it up this summer (while I work in laboratory, white fluorescent lighting) because it shows up super glittery under auditorium/lecture-hall/yellow, non-energy efficient lighting (also glittery in sunlight). Otherwise, this foundation works well enough.

3. Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal (53 - Light Beige): Out of the foundations that I have, this one is my favorite. It has medium coverage and is very creamy - I like it better than my CoverGirl Outlast 3-in-1 foundation. I've used this everyday since mid-January, and even though it's my favorite, given the fact that I've used it consistently for so long has made me a little tired of it (can't really tell from the pic - but it's a bit over half-way done).

4. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder: This is my only pressed setting powder.

5. Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush - Fresh Pink: I have already hit pan on this - my goal is to use this so that half of the pan is showing. I actually really like this blush.

6. benefit - Watt's Up (sample): Received this as a Sephora birthday gift (back in December). I have used this everyday since March/April (I think) and it has decreased by only around 1mm since then (this is going to take a very, very long time to use up...) ._.

It's a good thing that I don't own any individual, full-sized highlighters (I only have samples and highlighters that came in palettes)

7. theBalm - Put A Lid On It: This works okay - I have oily eyelids so I see creasing after around 3 hours; effectiveness varies with the eyeshadow type, though. I've only used elf's $1 eyelid primer, UDPP, and UDPP-Greed. I do like UDPP better than this, but I like Put A Lid On It better than UDPP-Greed and the elf primer.

8. Urban Decay Primer Potion - Greed (travel size): this is super sparkly and pigmented. It's one of those products that manages to get glitter everywhere (and it transfers very easily to the lower lashline and under-eye area). I think I've finally managed to make it useable, and since gold is a very summery color I want to use it more this summer.

9. Revlon Lip Butter - Peach Parfait: I think I have around 1 more week of use for this. In the pic, it's rolled all the way up and you can see the plastic base. Once I reach that base/the lipstick becomes flat, I'm going to call it done - I don't want to scrape the product out because I'm strange and after I finish it, I'm going to rub the top off with rubbing alcohol and then keep it in my museum of empties.

10. Revlon Lip Butter - Berry Smoothie:

11. Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss - Pink Whisper: my first lip gloss. I'm going to focus on this after I finish the Lip Butter in Peach Parfait.

12. Maybelline Eyestudio 8-Pan Eyeshadow Palette - Sunbaked Neutrals: I have hit pan on two shades so far. I've used the white shade as an inner corner highlight for a very, very long time (used pretty regularly for a year, maybe) and I've almost hit pan on it. I have a pretty hefty dent in the matte brown shade, too. My goal is to one day hit pan on all of the eyeshadows (not use them up because I have other eyeshadows and palettes that need to be used).

They are such good glosses! Are the new versions the same, other than some colors being gone (boo)?

I think I can get 2 more uses out of the powder by swirling the brush in the corner a lot. It's probably not worth the effort, but for some reason it's more satisfying if I really don't leave anything in there!
Yes, they are still awesome.  I love that I don't need chapstick when I use them because they're so moisturizing.

I have a seriously ambitious list.  My only rule is that I'm trying to get all of these items done by the end of July, and whatever is left will be put back in rotation.  Luckily I wear a full face of makeup most days so this should be doable if I stick with these. The only items I'm not sure I can use fast enough would be the eyeliners/shadows. 

• Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer 
  • Lancome creme radiance cleanser
  • Yes to Grapefruit CC cream
  • Skyn Iceland under-eye cooling cream
  • Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea spray
  • Bare Minerals sample size foundation (will use to contour)
  • Bare Minerals Stroke of Light highlighter
  • Murad Oil-Control mattifying primer
  • Tarte Energy cheek stain and lipsurgence
  • L'oreal Voluminous Butterfly mascara
  • Lancome Doll Lashes mascara
  • Urban Decay eyeshadow in Jones (orange, retired color?)
  • Urban Decay eyeshadow in Toasted
  • Elizabeth Mott pop! goes the shadow in Champagne
  • Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Psychedelic Sister (purple)
  • Urban Decay 24/7 liner in LSD (bright sparkly blue)
  • Stila smudge stick in Emerald
july2.jpg

july1.jpg

Latest posts

Back