The White House Gives Debit Cards to Katrina Victims...WOW

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) - Dispossessed families of Hurricane Katrina will receive debit cards good for $2,000 to spend on clothing and other immediate needs, the Bush administration announced Wednesday, working to recast a relief effort drawing scant praise from Republicans and scathing criticism from top congressional Democrats.

This is totally aweseome to assist those people who are in extreme need. I just hope that it is monitored to WHO is getting these.

i saw that on the news.

but the whole D and R seems totally backwards! lol.

you'd think the D's would be pleased and the R's would be pissed off.

i think it's just to help them right now. like to buy gas or food or something. that's why people ask for money donations more than actual stuff because it takes man power and time to get the donations, sort through them, send them somwhere, and then ration them out to people. at least that's what the redcross site says.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Liz i think it's just to help them right now. like to buy gas or food or something. that's why people ask for money donations more than actual stuff because it takes man power and time to get the donations, sort through them, send them somwhere, and then ration them out to people. at least that's what the redcross site says.
smile.gif
I understand the purpose behind it but I am just afraid that a few people will misuse those funds and take it for granted and that will make the other 99.9% of the people that are using the right way look bad. Does this make sense?

I saw on the news that it is 1 debit card per family and your family has to qualify. So there may be thousands of people who don't qualify or people who are going to try to abuse the system by going to different voucher places. I think it's a good idea b/c $2,000 can get you moved out to an apartment, turn on your lights, a few groceries and I think they are hoping that people in the Astrodome will get these and find housing and then jobs. As for transportation any living in a big city can use the public transportation system.

However, it would help if the electic companies forgive the $150 deposit to have your lights or even forgive old electric debts for those in hurricane Katrina would help.

Originally Posted by Marisol

What's going to happen when that $2,000 runs out?

A job in Texas mabey? Who knows. Finally, some small releif for the people. Bravo

Originally Posted by Naturally I think that's a tad negative ..what do you want him to do? Everyone seems to think that it's a quick fix ..it's not ..it's going to take time ..and I'm sure everyone is doing their best efforts to get in there and help with the situation.
If I were in that situation ...$2k would help substantially to get my family someplace ...safe, food on the table, etc...to start a new life! And from looking at the MANY sites out there offering UP housing for free or $1 ...

WHAT IS IT YOU WANT?

u know my position on the subject of what the government is doing/has done/will do in the future... i have no intention of engaging in any more "debates" regarding the issue... i gave my comment and said my piece.. 'nuff said

I think it is awesome. Many organizations are doing the donation part too. Walmart has an aquarium tank to put donations in but unfortunately one male customer grabbed the tank with full of money and ran off with it!!! Thank goodness that another male customer was able to catch him and bring the money back. I couldn't believe somebody would do that!!!!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) WASHINGTON (AP) - Dispossessed families of Hurricane Katrina will receive debit cards good for $2,000 to spend on clothing and other immediate needs, the Bush administration announced Wednesday, working to recast a relief effort drawing scant praise from Republicans and scathing criticism from top congressional Democrats.
This is totally aweseome to assist those people who are in extreme need. I just hope that it is monitored to WHO is getting these.

me too.

Originally Posted by Naturally That's sad that someone had to go and steal that ..sheesh. Glad he was caught! I've donated ..and will also be raffling something and all proceeds will go to the Redcross also. Doing my share as much as I can ..sending clothing etc.

Does anyone know how the relief efforts for Katrina compare to what was done for Andrew (the one in Florida a few years ago)?

I live near Norfolk, Virginia (this is a military area) and I know that the USS Truman (aircraft carrier) has gone down there to help make fresh water and I would guess start cleaning up. My neighbors are all on that carrier.

I must admit that I am at a loss, what can I do to help? I've been watching on Oprah the last few days and it seems to me the biggest problem was a lack of preparedness on the part of the local governments and it has just snowballed from there.

Latest posts

Back