Thermal Reconditioning

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have a pretty thick hair. I thought I would get tired of having straight hair all the time but so far I'm not. What I did get tired of was fighting with my hair when it wasn't straight, especially on humid days. Now, it doesn't matter what the weather is like, I don't have bad hair days.

But, you have to REALLY want straight hair to do this. If you think you'd get tired of it or miss your curls, I'd say don't do it and then just get salon blow-outs whenever you feel like having straight hair.

Originally Posted by Amethyst Yeah, I have a pretty thick hair. I thought I would get tired of having straight hair all the time but so far I'm not. What I did get tired of was fighting with my hair when it wasn't straight, especially on humid days. Now, it doesn't matter what the weather is like, I don't have bad hair days.
But, you have to REALLY want straight hair to do this. If you think you'd get tired of it or miss your curls, I'd say don't do it and then just get salon blow-outs whenever you feel like having straight hair.

Oh yeah - you most likely will NOT get your hair to wave - let alone curl after you do this... so it's a big commitment & you should really want it. There's no going back! LOL
icon_cool.gif

The funny thing is now that I do have straight hair, I don't need to spend money on any gels, mousse, sprays, etc. Its wash and go for me now. Once in a while I'll use a "spray and leave-in" conditioner for extra protection if I'm going swimming, etc. So one would think I'd save that extra $$$ but no, now it just goes to more makeup. LOL
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Amethyst The funny thing is now that I do have straight hair, I don't need to spend money on any gels, mousse, sprays, etc. Its wash and go for me now. Once in a while I'll use a "spray and leave-in" conditioner for extra protection if I'm going swimming, etc. So one would think I'd save that extra $$$ but no, now it just goes to more makeup. LOL
icon_lol.gif
More makeup is always a good thing!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by lvmommy Hi there! I wanted to share my experience with Salon Thermal Reconditioning . . . I had virgin naturally thick/wavy/curly (very healthy) hair that I was straightening with products, blow dryer, and ceramic flat iron. I liked the results I got, but was not happy with the time I had to invest to get them . . . So when I heard about this process that was supposed to be "good" for my hair, I decided to give it a try because it used "proteins and strengtheners to infuse the inner structure of the hair" . . . The process was by Rusk called Thermal Str8 and it did straighten my hair, but it also totally changed the texture of my hair to feeling spongy when it was wet and it straightened my hair to the point of laying almost limp against my head. I didn't realize that before the Str8 process my natural wave/curl actually gave my hair the body and volume that I liked . . . The process was about $300 for 5 hours of washing, protein treatment, blow drying, washing, strengthening treatment, blow drying and flat ironing stick straight then waiting for 72 hours before washing and not using any hair elastics to cause any kink in the hair while it "oxidized" or hardened," the stylist explained it's like wet nails drying . . . I have to say that the breakage/damage that I have experienced is like nothing I have ever had . . . I should have known that any "chemical" treatment couldn't be "good" for my hair . . . Anyway, that was September '04 and my I am just starting to notice wave/curl coming back at the roots and my hair is just now starting to get back to being somewhat healthy after many salon deep protein treatments and more frequent trims to control the splitting ends . . . I caution anyone who is considering thermal reconditioning . . . it is a chemical process regardless of the proteins and strengtheners that are used before and after the chemical . . . The chemical side effects are permanent, the protein and strengthening steps are temporary . . .
icon_wink.gif

Hi ivmommy,welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing that with us,sometimes I want to try things like that on my hair and then when I hear stories from real people ,im glad i didnt risk destroying my hair.
icon_eek.gif

I am thinking about getting T/R done within the next month. I want to be able to just shower and go, but could it really be true that you can do that? Without having to blow dry? And then another question, what if I want to curl my hair with a curling iron for special occaions, will it still curl? Will it mess up the staightness? Anyone? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Wism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting T/R done within the next month. I want to be able to just shower and go, but could it really be true that you can do that? Without having to blow dry? And then another question, what if I want to curl my hair with a curling iron for special occaions, will it still curl? Will it mess up the staightness? Anyone? Thanks!

LOL...I know this is years later, but IT IS TRUE! I love my TR hair! I just wash it and go. Sometimes, you can even go without brushing/combing and it still falls straight!!!! Once it is straight, it is straight. You can still use  a curling iron, but once you wash...it is smooth and silky! My stylist used the Matrix Opti-Smooth system. I've also heard great things about CHI and Yuko. Try to find a stylist that has experience and may use one of these systems. I once had it done somewhere else and the lady just flat out burned my hair. It was crispy and  I had a CHUNK of hair that got fried off. years later, I went back to my old stylist and once again...it is silky, smooth, shiny and gorgeous! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyone have any suggestions for after TR shampoo/conditioner though? I didn't really take great care for it before. Although it was still nice...this time, I want to make sure I take super care of it because I want to make my hair past my mid back. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Hi, I Need Answers Im (African-American) and im Wonder Does Matrix Opti-Smooth Actually Help your Hair or Does it Make it Worst? Please Give me Some Answers

smileno.gif

Latest posts

Back