Thick Nailpolish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so after a bunch of failed attempts I finally painted a set of french tips that are presentable.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Problem is, I think I went a little overboard on the layers of polish, because even after a good hour, touching it sort of scunches the surface, (Luckily I was able to smooth it back over).

Is there anything I can do to sort of "set" the nailpolish?. Something that I don't have to go to the store to buy, not that any would be open at this hour. I don't want to have to reattempt a new set. I love how clean they look now. Can anyone help?????

I don't know how to fix it now, but next time, wait longer between applying each layer so that each layer has time to fully dry before applying the next!

Once I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding and she made us all get matching manicures. The manicurists were in a hurry and piled on thick layers of polish without waiting for them to fully dry. We got our nails done in the morning; by dinner time our nails were still very sticky and had that "scrunch" when you touched them! (Plus they didn't even paint the white tips on very evenly, we could have done better with a do-it-yourself kit from Wal-Mart, lol) The bride paid for all of our manicures, so we didn't tell her how terrible they were though
wink.gif

Originally Posted by shiso Ok so after a bunch of failed attempts I finally painted a set of french tips that are presentable.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Problem is, I think I went a little overboard on the layers of polish, because even after a good hour, touching it sort of scunches the surface, (Luckily I was able to smooth it back over).

Is there anything I can do to sort of "set" the nailpolish?. Something that I don't have to go to the store to buy, not that any would be open at this hour. I don't want to have to reattempt a new set. I love how clean they look now. Can anyone help?????

well i doubt this will help you this time. first off make sure the polish is not thick and goey, if so go buy some thinner and add a drop or two in the polish. If you're polishing your real nails, first put on a base coat...followed by the french polish, then finish with a top coat. Even when nails polish feels dry by touch, its actually still wet in the inside, and you can smear it if you touch it. You actually have to wait a good hour before its like really really dry...if you're at home i'd zap it with the blowdryer or put your hands under a lightbulb for a few minutes or so to seal it in....

If your nailpolish is too thick before putting it on, I, too, suggest a thinner! If you can't find one, you can use makeup remover but it will kind of mess with the nailpolish over time(but works as a paint-thinner). To make sure mine are dry, I run my nails under ice cold water, as opposed to a hairdryer. Whenever I use the hairdryer I feel like it's melting(even if it's on the cool setting). The ice cold water is faster.

Second on the ice water! Sets them really quick.
smile.gif
Also - next time you're out at Sally's (or a beauty supply store) pick up this clear topcoat called "Out the Door" - it's awesome. Been using it for years - after 15 min... your nails are TOTALLY dry! (The nail girl who first showed me this said that you can 'flick' your nail against the table edge after 15 min. without getting a crease) and she was right!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back