Thought about what NYangel said...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so Janelle said she got her brushes from Michaels craft store. So, I went to a local art supply store to check out the brushes and compare. OMG! I left with so many brushes. I don't think I'll be buying makeup brushes anymore. The art brushes I got were made way better than any of the brushes I have(and I have a huge collection of brand name brushes) You just have to be sure to get a better quality art brush and get the ones that are either taklon, goat hair, or sable.

Originally Posted by envymi OK, so Janelle said she got her brushes from Michaels craft store. So, I went to a local art supply store to check out the brushes and compare. OMG! I left with so many brushes. I don't think I'll be buying makeup brushes anymore. The art brushes I got were made way better than any of the brushes I have(and I have a huge collection of brand name brushes) You just have to be sure to get a better quality art brush and get the ones that are either taklon, goat hair, or sable. Awesome! They're good right?
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I figure Artists' work also rely on the brush, and if they buy them there, how bad could it be for eyeshadow!? LOL I also like that they have the same shapes & types as high end makeup brushes, but lots more kinds that can come in handy that MU stores really don't sell... Glad you like em'!
wink.gif

Sounds like a cool idea! If I used brushes, then I would try them also
wink.gif

Originally Posted by envymi

OK, so Janelle said she got her brushes from Michaels craft store. So, I went to a local art supply store to check out the brushes and compare. OMG! I left with so many brushes. I don't think I'll be buying makeup brushes anymore. The art brushes I got were made way better than any of the brushes I have(and I have a huge collection of brand name brushes) You just have to be sure to get a better quality art brush and get the ones that are either taklon, goat hair, or sable.

ok, this makes me curious too. I was just gonna start my collection of high-end brushes (and already hated to "waste" money on something that´s NOT makeup
icon_smile.gif
)

what brushes do you get at craft stores? I´d think they would only have things like eyeliner-type brushes and small angled brushes? I wouldn´t think they´d have brushes you could use for face powder or blush, no? I´m clueless-I´ve never been to one of those places

That's great news envymi! My mom NEVER uses brushes but i've convinced her to start now so i might start her off on some art brushes! Thanks for the tip
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Arielle ok, this makes me curious too. I was just gonna start my collection of high-end brushes (and already hated to "waste" money on something that´s NOT makeup
icon_smile.gif
)
what brushes do you get at craft stores? I´d think they would only have things like eyeliner-type brushes and small angled brushes? I wouldn´t think they´d have brushes you could use for face powder or blush, no? I´m clueless-I´ve never been to one of those places

They have anything you could possibly think of... even big powder brushes ! I even have one that works great w/ foundation! (It rivals my Japonesque foundation brush!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I got everything I could find! Brushes I can use for foundation, concealer, powders, eyes, cheeks, lips, everything! Taklon brushes are better for foundations, concealers, cream makeup, or wet application of anything. Sable and goat hair are better for powders, regular shadows and blushes, and lips. Make sure you find some with short handles. Artists brushes tend to have long handles. The better cheaper brushes I found were Loew-Cornell or Royal. I have a bunch of others that were way more expensive too, but these are good. The Loew-Cornell range from $2-$16 for different brushes. The Royal brand you can find in a pack, I found one with a rubber grip that has 5 brushes that could all be used for makeup application, decent quality too. I think the pack was like $10 or something like that.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Here are the craft store brushes I use most often... Wow Janelle, those brushes look fab.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
redface.gif
ffice
redface.gif
ffice" /><o
tongue.gif
></o
tongue.gif
>

I've been getting brushes from the art/craft supply store for years. I haven't found nice large brushes for powder or blush like you folks have though. I'm just bummed b/c we don't have a Michael's here.
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Here are the craft store brushes I use most often... These are by Royal... except I bought them seperately... I did see the set though... nice, but there were a few that I didn't think I'd use, so I figured I'd go ala' carte
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by envymi I got everything I could find! Brushes I can use for foundation, concealer, powders, eyes, cheeks, lips, everything! Taklon brushes are better for foundations, concealers, cream makeup, or wet application of anything. Sable and goat hair are better for powders, regular shadows and blushes, and lips. Make sure you find some with short handles. Artists brushes tend to have long handles. The better cheaper brushes I found were Loew-Cornell or Royal. I have a bunch of others that were way more expensive too, but these are good. The Loew-Cornell range from $2-$16 for different brushes. The Royal brand you can find in a pack, I found one with a rubber grip that has 5 brushes that could all be used for makeup application, decent quality too. I think the pack was like $10 or something like that. Yeah, mine were all long handled, but I was determined to put them all in my Trish McEvoy planner, so I used some snips my b/f had and MADE them fit... doesn't matter really - it's just lucite handles, so they aren't sharp & don't crack the handle if you snip em'.
icon_wink.gif

I haven't tried using craft brushes for makeup but I have used them for painting!
smile.gif
If you look for watercolor brushes, those are usually going to have soft bristles that I bet would work great for makeup -- oil painting brushes will usually have stiff, scratchy bristles that you wouldn't want on your face! But if they say they're made out of goat hair or something that will also tell you how soft they are. Brushes will also come in all sorts of sizes -- people painting large paintings (or in an impressionist style) use large brushes, you wouldn't want a tiny eyeliner-like brush to paint a canvas 3 feet wide! Just look around and you'll never know what you'll find -- I might have to stop by Hobby Lobby next time I'm at that end of town!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek I haven't tried using craft brushes for makeup but I have used them for painting!
smile.gif
If you look for watercolor brushes, those are usually going to have soft bristles that I bet would work great for makeup -- oil painting brushes will usually have stiff, scratchy bristles that you wouldn't want on your face! But if they say they're made out of goat hair or something that will also tell you how soft they are. Brushes will also come in all sorts of sizes -- people painting large paintings (or in an impressionist style) use large brushes, you wouldn't want a tiny eyeliner-like brush to paint a canvas 3 feet wide! Just look around and you'll never know what you'll find -- I might have to stop by Hobby Lobby next time I'm at that end of town!
wink.gif
yup! I have a watercolor brush (the one all the way to the left in pic) that resembles a MAC blending brush
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I gotta go to Michael's soon to get supplies for a project, so I'm going to check out their brushes. I can't wait!!

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme I gotta go to Michael's soon to get supplies for a project, so I'm going to check out their brushes. I can't wait!! Just bought 2 more tonight! LOL They're both "MAXINE'S MOP' style brushes (1/4" and 3/8") by Loew Cornell (#270)

Those are great Janelle! Craft/Art supply stores are the best "secret" w/in the cosmetics industry. Once you use quality brushes, there's not turning back.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by keaLoha Those are great Janelle! Craft/Art supply stores are the best "secret" w/in the cosmetics industry. Once you use quality brushes, there's not turning back.
tongue.gif
I know!!! And they're so much cheaper too!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'll spend like $5 on a brush that is just as good as a "brand name" one going for $25... and you still clean them the same way - so they seem to be lasting well.
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by keaLoha I learned the hard way after buying all my TM brushes.
icon_cry.gif
EBAY or SWAP!! LOL
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back