Threading (merged info threads!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Indian roommate in college introduced me to "threading" as a fast & affordable method for eyebrow maintenance. Since she has moved to the East Coast, I can't get it done for free anymore (haha) but it only costs $5-8 at certain salons (!).

Threading is a common practice in India, Armenia & all over the Middle East, but not many Americans know about it, so I wanted to share some info.

news.h2.gif
threading.jpg

Threading

Threading is an age old form of hair removal practiced in such countries as India, Pakistan and the Middle East, commonly used to lend clean lines and shape to the eyebrows and remove unwanted hair from the upper lip and areas of the face.

The procedure utilizes a piece of 100% cotton thread which is twisted and pulled along the area of unwanted hair, lifting hair directly from the follicle. The pain experienced during threading is no worse than that experienced during tweezing or waxing. A small pinch is felt with the removal of hair which many clients find minimal due to the large coverage area treated at one time.

Unlike waxing which can be messy and time consuming, threading requires no external products, only the use of 100% cotton thread and a minimal amount of time with a skilled cosmetician.

Threading does not have the unpleasant side effect of irritation and rashes caused by the "stripping off" of the top layer of dead skin that accompanies waxing. The benefits of threading also out weigh those of tweezing because unlike tweezing, threading lifts the complete hair from the follicle while maintaining a larger coverage area.

-FashionIndia.net

Thanks for the info! I had a co-worked once who got her eye brows done this way and they always looked so good.

I learned about this 10 years ago in college & am dying to try this. I hear it's quick & painless & so much better than waxing/tweezing.

I don't know of anyone in Honolulu who offers this procedure, but I'd love to try it. The Middle Eastern & Indian community is very small in town, but I'm sure I could find someone to help me. Until then, I'm going to see if I can get an appt. while on vacation in SF.

My ex's mother used to get this done, & she loved it. I've always wanted to try it - since I get really bad reactions from waxing... but I don't know anyone out here that does it - most people that operate salons by me are Asian and pretty much only wax.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha I always mean to have mine threaded, The Lauder counter in Selfridges has a brow bar and they offer threading! It always looks so precise and neat! x I didn't know that! Might have to ry that out next time I've grown mine out for a reshape. I normally get my waxed, and it hurts like hell
icon_evil.gif

I know this cause am indian,,,heheh anyway i don't do it...but mine aunty she is genious she thread hers in 2 min....boom boom boom she id done with nice shape. i never seen her unpluck hair. always does and shape it fast. it's more effective then waxing i find out.

I love threading! I'm half Turkish and used to live in Turkey and they always use thread there. It's so good because they're able to get even the finest hairs that way, i.e., above the upper lip etc... I live near San Antonio. I wish I could find somewhere here that does it.

Wish I knew of a place here that did it, because I'd try it in a heartbeat! I usually wax and then pluck between waxings, but my skin tends to break out from the wax, so I'd love to try this!

there isnt any place near me that offers threading of course, but a friend taught me how to do it myself. im not good enough to risk threading the stray hair under my brows, but i do it from time to time to clean up the area in between.

OMG Diane! I LOVE YOU even more for posting this! Hawaii's not listed, but found several salons to try when I visit SF this weekend.

LOL
36_11_6.gif
Welcome. Love ya too and I'm glad you found one. Tell us how it goes and if it hurts because I've never had it done..K When do you leave on your trip?

Originally Posted by keaLoha OMG Diane! I LOVE YOU even more for posting this! Hawaii's not listed, but found several salons to try when I visit SF this weekend.

Awesome Post, Diane!!! The NY listings are a little too far for me though, so I'll have to look into it a little more.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Janelle, try calling a few of the salons in NY and ask them if they know of one near you. Meanwhile, I'm still on the hunt for more resources.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Awesome Post, Diane!!! The NY listings are a little too far for me though, so I'll have to look into it a little more.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Thanks for the post Diane! (All hail the Research Diva!
wink.gif
)

Hope you don't mind, but I merged your thread with mine from last week, since they deal with the same topic.

Welcome..LOL Oh good. Thank U! I looked for it before I posted this one but I couldn't find it. What did I do wrong?

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Thanks for the post Diane! (All hail the Research Diva!
wink.gif
)
Hope you don't mind, but I merged your thread with mine from last week, since they deal with the same topic.

Originally Posted by Diane Welcome..LOL Oh good. Thank U! I looked for it before I posted this one but I couldn't find it. What did I do wrong? Sorry for the confusion Diane!!
icon_redface.gif
You didn't do anything wrong, I just felt that it would be good to merge these two together cuz they're so similiar.

Originally Posted by Diane LOL
36_11_6.gif
Welcome. Love ya too and I'm glad you found one. Tell us how it goes and if it hurts because I've never had it done..K When do you leave on your trip? I leave Thursday afternoon & am excited about trying them. I have to print out the numbers & call ahead--don't wanna pay $50 for it unless it comes w/a round-trip ticket for touch-ups.
wink.gif

Hi Joy, I'm sorry...I confused you. lol I was saying that I looked for your thread that you started about Threading before I posted this one but I couldn't find it. So, I was asking you what did I do wrong? Meaning what did I do wrong in my search. What I should have asked is where did you find it?
smile.gif

QUOTE=Joyeuux]Sorry for the confusion Diane!!
icon_redface.gif
You didn't do anything wrong, I just felt that it would be good to merge these two together cuz they're so similiar.

I SO wanna get my eyebrows threaded.. I'm on a mission to find a place in Cork that does it
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back