Tipping at a hair salon?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok .. so usually I go to a normal hair salon.  Well, I am venturing out and at the recommendation of a friend, am trying someone's "home" salon.  She's a licensed stylist and all ... not just some person that cuts anothers hair.  My question is this ... when I go to a regular salon, of course I tip.  When I go to a home salon, do I still tip?  Or is the price she charges the price I pay? 

This is the rule of thumb I follow:

If it is the owner that cuts/styles your hair, your don't have to pay.

If it is an employee that cuts/styles your hair, tip 10-20% if you are pleased with their service.

I would not tip the owner as 100% of what you pay goes to the owner. If it were an employee, what you tip and her hourly wage goes to the person who actually cut your hair which is only a small %. If the owner feels the cut is worth more, they should increase their price.

If your extremely happy than it doesn't hurt to tip. But you don't need to tip the owner. Same is true if you are being served by the owner of a restaurant...

If you're happy with the haircut, tip! Especially if it's at someone's home salon, where you are probably saving a little bit anyway! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Its always nice to tip. Like, once my friend bought stuff to do my hair and she told me the price of what it costed, and I gave her extra. 

I think it was like $5 or $10, but its just a nice gesture. The normal salon, I tip about the same.

You don't have to go overboard on it. I mean, you are paying normal price already.

I think it really depends on the service that you are receiving. If you are please, why not! And I think that if the price seems lower than you usual average, then I would tip. 

If it's a home salon I would probably tip, just because business might be a bit slow where as a normal hair dressers having clients come and go all the time. 
It's up to you though. 

Latest posts

Back