Tips for Being a Happier Mom

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
470_2208017.0
Anderson
Rene Syler, who runs the website GoodEnoughMother.com, joined "Anderson" to discuss the results of a new study that says moms with jobs outside the home are healthier and happier than full-time mothers.

But Rene does not believe that happiness has to belong to one group or the other. She believes all mothers work hard, and she is an advocate of happiness for all mothers.

Here, she has compiled some tips to help each mother - regardless of their career path - to be as happy as they can. Read Rene's tips below.

Recharge Your Battery
Find something, a hobby or interest that is uniquely your own, and do it regularly. If it's meeting girlfriends for coffee or wine, if it's needlepoint, if it's travel - take the time to indulge yourself in that. You'll come back refreshed and ready to handle the challenges of motherhood.

Shun Guilt
Once you have found your happiness and recharged your battery, do not feel guilty for doing so. What you need to understand is that by taking care of yourself you are taking care of your family.

Say 'No' to Competitive Parenting
Rene says this is a huge pet peeve of hers. Too many times we use others - friends, neighbors, mommies in playgroup - as a yardstick for good parenting. You need to be internally driven and parent for the people who matter: those living under your own roof.

Sometimes Good Enough is Perfect
Rene asks mothers to please put out of your mind any hope of attaining perfection. It doesn't exist in parenting (or life) and you'll make yourself crazy chasing it. Instead, understand that good enough is just perfect. Sometimes eating pizza out of the box in front of the TV with your kids at your side and your feet on the table, is better than fine. Your kids will learn a lot from a mom who cuts herself some slack, makes mistakes, apologizes and then moves on.

Source

I think one of the hardest parts of being a mom is taking time for myself and not feeling guilty for it. Another is the competition mothers put against each other. I hate it when someone tries to compare me to so and so and how they rear their child.

Good tips!  As a mother of a 17 y/o and a 3 y/o its nice to have reminders that I need to do things for myself.  A happy mom = a happy family : ) 

My wife will be a much happier mom when the kids (21 and 24) leave the nest! lol I will too.....

I am a mommy of one boy, almost 3yo. I receive a lot of support from my husband since I am a stay at home mom, my son has his own personality too and thank god he is very independent but at the same time he is my lil spoil boy, his personality helps me a lot to not go crazy.

When I saw the title Tips for Being a Happier Mom the first thought that popped into my head was, "gag and tie the kids up?" LOL

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A happy mom = a happy family : ) 
As I constantly hear, "happy wife, happy life" which is true. If we women get grumpy we can make everyone around us miserable. lol

Oh thats for this! I have been putting myself last since I always felt I have to do everything for them. I have been a mother since I was 16! Young I know but I wouldn't change it! It was meant to happen to me when it did! I grew strong. Stopped my life so she could have one better than mines and so far I believe she and my other 3 have. But I have been feeling worn out lately cause my lil one is 9 months my oldest 13. I'm running around to activities and sports, doctor appointments and in the mist I haven't cut my hair in years, put it in a bun and sometimes run out of the house without makeup.. Well, this new Years I vowed to take more care of myself for me and my children. I want my daughters to look at me and say I wanna be like her Strong and beautiful and my husband to think I am the hottest woman out there ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's hard to find that time to yourself. I always feel guilty when we got out and am always thinking what are the kids doing right now, or lets go home early so they don't have to watch our kids too long. But I am trying. I also want to do mommy and me time and daddy and me time where its either me or my husband who takes one child out for dinner or lunch to talk or shop, get nails done or just hang out so that we are closer. You hear so many stories on the news of kids killing themselves over a bully or whatever and I want my kids to be able to tell me anything.

Sorry I know this is long but this is very important for woman raising little ones to take that time out so that they aren't frustrated or unhappy. Our kids watch and learn from what we do and sometimes we must break the habit of doing what our parents did or what have you ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

We can still be strong, busy, successful and BEAUTIFUL! 

Thanks for the article! 

Im 24 years old and a new mom. My babyson is 3 months old and sometimes I loose myself in being a mommy.

My bf works fulltime, so from 7 till 17 I'm home alone. My friends live in a different city, so sometimes I really have a hard time :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So thanks for the article, I realise that I really have to start doing things for myself again. Even if its just a nice beautymask or go shopping by myself.

I think it would not only improve my mood but also my relationship with my bf ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

originally posted by adrienne   I think one of the hardest parts of being a mom is taking time for myself and not feeling guilty for it. Another is the competition mothers put against each other. I hate it when someone tries to compare me to so and so and how they rear their child.
This is so true. I know for a fact that most of the times I am out of the house working or...I am in the house..still working. Sometimes, I hear my kids complain that I am always working..what can I do? I want to provide them a comfortable life. I get so exhausted working that yes, I'd like to have a "me" time too. Problem is, guilt always comes in the way. The 2 hrs I spend for myself always gets muddled with the feeling of anxiety--of guilt. I could've spent this time with them..or..do they have food? or did they have naps? Never ending anxieties!

This is so true. I know for a fact that most of the times I am out of the house working or...I am in the house..still working. Sometimes, I hear my kids complain that I am always working..what can I do? I want to provide them a comfortable life. I get so exhausted working that yes, I'd like to have a "me" time too. Problem is, guilt always comes in the way. The 2 hrs I spend for myself always gets muddled with the feeling of anxiety--of guilt. I could've spent this time with them..or..do they have food? or did they have naps? Never ending anxieties!
How old are your your children? They can help do chores when you are doing chores to help free up some time. I also that some extra time in getting ready in the morning and getting ready for bed...Me Time. The extra 15 min in the morning and 1/2hr at the end of the day is a life saver. The kids learn to live around your routine as you live around theirs. It's good for the kids to know that you love yourself as much as you love them.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have 2 teenagers and 2 preschoolers. Thanks diva doll. I actually have that kind of "me" time when I'm in the bathroom. That's when I get to read, take my time putting lotion..the works!  The "me" time I was referring to in my previous post was actually the REAL "me" time--like when I shop for clothes, or have a body spa.

Yes, I let them help me with the chores too. The older ones take care of the young 'uns and the boys..lol! make sure we have a lot to take care of!

Latest posts

Back