Tips for Organizing your Makeup Stashes!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all probably have several bags or cases upon cases of makeup. Stuff we've just bought and wore once, things we've had for what seems like forever & can't bare to part with, and the things we think we have somewhere, but we're not sure, because its buried under piles of more makeup!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

What would be a better start for the new year than to get things organized and be in control like the totally put-together woman you are!
icon_cool.gif

In a recent interview, Makeup artist, Author & Cosmetic Industry giant, Bobbi Brown gives her top 3 tips on how to get rid of the makeup mess!

1. Sort

Take inventory by dumping out your makeup drawer or bag and sorting the contents into four piles. Anything that smells funny or has changed color or dried out goes in the trash. Products with cracked containers or missing tops that can still be salvaged go in a second pile. Products that you've never opened or touched belong in a third pile that can be boxed up for a women's shelter, your local high school's drama department, or even your daughter or niece for playing dress up. The reality is that if you haven't used it yet, you won't use it later. Put everything that remains in a fourth pile.

Now go back to pile number two and consolidate. Pour liquid foundation into a new bottle (your drugstore sells empty containers). If you've lost the top to a lipstick, slice off the color and put it in an empty am/pm pillbox (add a deeper or brighter color and you instantly have a lip palette that goes from day to night). Use a zippered pencil case or sandwich-size ziplock bag to hold eye and lip pencils that are missing covers.

2. Analyze

Next, turn your attention to pile number four, using a critical eye. Are there certain products that you always reach for? You might notice that you're more of a blush and lipstick girl, in which case it makes no sense to have glittery liquid liner and false lashes. Toss them! Do you have multiples of a shade or formula? Make a note to avoid buying more of the same the next time you go shopping. Finally, turn your attention to your makeup basics, such as foundation. Sweep it on your cheek: If it disappears, keep it, but if you can see it on your skin, get rid of it; it's not the right shade.

Toss overly frosted or crayon-bright eye shadow shades (they're not flattering, period). But keep neutral shadows (white, bone, toast, gray, mocha) in soft matte or supersheer finishes. And you can't go wrong with black, mahogany, charcoal, or navy eyeliners. Throw away cracked blush--it's too hard to use and might spill in your makeup bag. Make sure you have two shades: a neutral one that looks like your cheeks when you've just worked out, and a slightly brighter hue to layer on at night. Finally, instead of having a dozen shades of lipstick, focus on finding a neutral, everyday color (a pinky-brown if your coloring is fair to medium, a rose or raisin if you're dark) and a slightly brighter shade for evening.

3. Organize

The only rule is to find a system that works for you and the space you have. If you take your makeup from room to room, try a lightweight plastic tackle box or toolbox. Slip a silverware organizer into your bathroom drawer to create compartments. Use Lucite boxes, coffee mugs, or juice glasses to hold your brushes and pencils on your vanity.

Makeup Expiration Dates

Like food, makeup has a shelf life. Here's how long you can expect different formulas to last:

Mascara: 3 to 6 months

Cream blush: 6 months to 1 year

Concealer, pencils, eye shadow, eye cream: 1 year

Foundation, lipstick, moisturizer: 1 to 1½ years

Face powder, powder blush: 2 years

Sampled from Prevention.com

Awesome post Janelle!

I have so many boxes and kits for my make-up but wanted to make space in my bathroom for the stuff I personally use everyday (versus my kit for work & all my special f/x stuff) so I don't have to go digging. I got some old cigar boxes from my brother, which are vintage & fun & just the right size for my daily cosmetic staples.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Joyeuux I got some old cigar boxes from my brother, which are vintage & fun & just the right size for my daily cosmetic staples.
smile.gif
Hmm... how do I put an image directly into my post? Having problems!!!
icon_wink.gif

Yep this is something we were working on. (The instructions)

Check out this post here

Let me know if this helped!

Originally Posted by Joyeuux

Hmm... how do I put an image directly into my post? Having problems!!!
icon_wink.gif

Great post Janelle. I did this back in September & pared down my Armani e/s from roughly 45 to 6. Realized I was reaching for the same things over & over & the rest went unused.

I'm now down to one plastic "tower" compared to a Sephora Train Case, a large plastic tower & 2 mini plastic towers. It feels good have most of it gone & to know that I won't be spending 30 minutes searching for the right l/s.
wink.gif

Great Article Janelle, thanks for posting it. What's with the eyeshadows only last 1 year though?? I heard you can keep them up to 10-15 years. There's no way i'm throwing away all my MAC shadows when they reach the 1 year mark!

I do have to do another clear out asap though but i really do find it hard. I always think to myself "i know i'll this some day soon" & then i might use it once, but then it gets thrown to the back of my make up drawer again! I need more will power!

I always said i'd love to throw every single thing i own into the bin, then go make up shopping for a day! Imagine that.. I'm drooling thinking about it!

I have some eyeshadows that are over 1 year old too... And I'm not throwing them away yet either... LOL Maybe I should add a disclaimer:

"Stated ideas & theories above are the sole opinions of the interviewee & do not necessarily reflect the ideas or opions of the poster, Janelle."
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I think some of those do make good sense, and I may incorporate a few things into my stash cleaning that I plan to do soon.

However, the time frame for tossing certain cosmetics is crazy! The only thing I religiously toss is mascara every 3 months. Anything else only gets tossed if something's changed about it (i.e. consistency, color, smell). If it's something I just don't want anymore, I give it away to friends and family.

Thanks for sharing, Janelle!

Thanks Jannelle! This is just the advice i needed! I have made it a priority to have a New Year clean out of my stashed make up and also add it to My Editor. Thanks for giving me the 'tools and thinking' to do it and make it work. I will let you know how i get on when i follow your inspirational advice through.This is something i have needed to do for a long time!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 "Stated ideas & theories above are the sole opinions of the interviewee & do not necessarily reflect the ideas or opions of the poster, Janelle."
icon_cheesygrin.gif
LOL!
icon_lol.gif
I have to agree w/both of you ladies. I have some e/s that are about 3 years old & they're still holding strong. I only toss out mascara on a regular, 3-month basis & l/g after 1 year. On the rare occasion, I'll toss a l/s after 2-3 years, but only if it's incredibly dry &/or rancid.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Maybe I should add a disclaimer:
"Stated ideas & theories above are the sole opinions of the interviewee & do not necessarily reflect the ideas or opions of the poster, Janelle."
icon_cheesygrin.gif

LMAO! Ya, you really should have
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

ooh, i forgot to mention that i started clearing out some stuff last night. Felt so good afterwards even though i only threw out about a quarter of the things i don't use! Will try and dump a few more tonight! Thanks for posting this article Janelle & perfect timing too. Coz i got lots of make up for Xmas so i need to clear out old things to make room for the new products!

i'm always organizing my traincase. lol. i like looking at all of the pretty colors and stuff. i've gotta get another traincase actually since my previous one is full and some stuff isn't even in it.

I need some organization, it'll be nice and stacked one day and the next morning after I do my makeup, it's all over my floor again. So now I just leave it there. Thank you for the tips.

I really like this information. The only issues I have are the ones about only keeping neutral eyeshadows and one or two lipsticks. My daily makeup consists of brightly colored e/s.

Latest posts

Back