To visit the Philipines or not?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
I just talked to my sis tonight. She said that she and my mom are going to be visiting the PI in March or so.

I've never been out of the country before. My mom has told me stories of where she used to live, in barrios or a village. Not a major city
icon_eek.gif
. I'm definitely more of a city girl and don't want to have to use the bathroom in holes or something. lol.

I want to go because it's a chance to see something that I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to see. the last time my mom went to the PI was when i was like 6 or 7 or something. I don't know when she would go again after this time.

But I'm scared. I don't want to get kidnapped or any of the bad stuff.

Anybody have any info about the Phillipines or any tips.

I don't know where my mom is from specifically though.

I dont have any info for you but if it were me, I would definitely go. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to go and go with the people that you love.

oh and my sis said that they're gonna go and have plastic surgery!
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

i don't exactly agree with them doing this. i don't know what kind of regulations they have with plastic surgery. it's already tricky and rough getting it done right here, let alone there.

she said they'll be going for 2 weeks. so visiting places and then getting surgery. i told her that getting surgery and flying wouldn't be good.

liz, i would without a doubt go. i was so hesitant to go to kosovo, a 3rd-world country, becuase of the reasons you mentioned. even though i had to pee in a hole in the ground, had only 3 hours a day of electricity, no AC, no computer, no phone, end up in the emergency room because i'm not used to the water/milk, NOTHING, i loved it. it's a great experience and knowing i was only there for a month, i knew i'd come home to everything. every year, i plan on going, but something comes up. i've been there twice and i wish it was a lot more.

it's only 2 weeks and if it's so bad, you can always leave earlier.

oh, and about the plastic surgery: my cousin got his nose done over there, too, and let me tell you, i think docs around the world know exactly what they're doing, way better than here in the states because here, i feel like they're (some, not all) so lazy and wanna use technology/medication for nothing, just want money, etc., but over there, they don't make half as much and they really like helping people in need because of the conditions. what exactly do they want done, if you don't mind me asking?

let us know what you decide!

Liz, I was so hesitant of visiting my parent's homeland before I went and for the same reasons as you. Jennifer and I come from about the same region, (I think it's only a 5 or 6 hour drive that separates us) her area is called Kosova and mine is called Ulqin. The first time I went I was only 12 and yep a hole in the ground was the "bathroom" and the electricity was a privilege, but I still loved it. I still go back every year, but 10 years ago my dad built a new house in the city close to the beach with all the amenities I am so spoiled with in the States and everything has improved drastically in the surrounding areas.

I would take any opportunity to travel, especially if it's where your mom is from. She could point everything out to you and you could kind of live through her eyes and know what she went through growing up. Plus, there is so much out there in this world that we never get to see, why not venture out. Treat it like an expedition of sorts.

Jeez Jennifer, third world, it's gotten so much better now.

Slowly, but surely.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sofia Jeez Jennifer, third world, it's gotten so much better now. Slowly, but surely.
smile.gif

have you ever been to kosove? (sounds like i'm saying that in a nasty way, but i'm not!) i've never been to ulqin, but from pics i've seen, heard from people, it seems way more up-to-date than kosove. i could be wrong, though
smile.gif
i haven't been there in 5 years
frown.gif
i'm from the country (katun ne kline), so yeah. that plays a big part, too.
what's the definition of a third-world country? i've heard everyone say it about kosove, so that's why i do
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Liz

I just talked to my sis tonight. She said that she and my mom are going to be visiting the PI in March or so.
I've never been out of the country before. My mom has told me stories of where she used to live, in barrios or a village. Not a major city
icon_eek.gif
. I'm definitely more of a city girl and don't want to have to use the bathroom in holes or something. lol.

I want to go because it's a chance to see something that I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to see. the last time my mom went to the PI was when i was like 6 or 7 or something. I don't know when she would go again after this time.

But I'm scared. I don't want to get kidnapped or any of the bad stuff.

Anybody have any info about the Phillipines or any tips.

I don't know where my mom is from specifically though.

I have been to the PI possibly 10 times. I was in the US Navy and Subic Bay was the "home away from home" port. PI is an interesting country. I found most of the people are super cordial and nice to americans...especially the girls(ahh the Navy Life
wink.gif
)
I have to say it really wasn't that clean tho
frown.gif
There was a river they called "shit river" where kids would be on boats and a huge bridge went over it. The Sailors would throw coins in it and the kids would dive down and get them. It was brown and the locals said it was the sewer. I didn't throw any.

When we got out of the city, it was beautiful and reminded me of Hawaii's weather. HOT and humid

Unfortunately, the closest I have gotten to Kosove was an hour away from there. Can't recall the town now, but even in Ulqin the electricity will go out and then of course the water will stop, too. Thank god for generators. I also go to Shkoder & Tuz (my mom's side) and I know what you mean. Katund is right! And yes it is a third world country, but slowly improving.

Btw: congrats Jen, on becoming a MOD. I had no idea.
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif

Since you haven't been to the Philippines yet, why not go. It would be a great experience for you to see where part of you came from. Yes there has been so many changes since I was there. What I didn't like over there was the traffic, the weather (like in Manila, but Baguio is much cooler), the time schedule when there is no water or electricity, but shopping was the best part of it all. I'm sure you'd enjoy that part very much - alot cheaper over there. Just go for once and see. No harm in trying right?

I wanna add a few things so that you all don't get a bad idea about the US Navy sailors. 30 of us helped to build a few houses for some poor people there plus I rewired some girl's house with real wire. She had BARE copper wires running up the wall to the light. I came in there and rewired it with insulated wires so the kids would stop being shocked if they touch it.

Go go go!! If your sister is going for surgery I would asume that you ould be staying in a nice large town in a hotel, and not camping out in nowhere in the jungle. You'll be fine and you'll be with your family. I'm sure that sister will need your support!

Hey Tony, who said anything about US Navy sailors? Is this your guilty conscious talking?
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm just playing btw. I love when it's Fleet Week in NYC. Nothing but sailors strolling about.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Sofia

Hey Tony, who said anything about US Navy sailors? Is this your guilty conscious talking?
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm just playing btw. I love when it's Fleet Week in NYC. Nothing but sailors strolling about.
icon_wink.gif

Read my previous post Sophia
wink.gif
lol I know your playing, but if one just read my previous post, they would be like WTF, damn Sailors
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Sofia Unfortunately, the closest I have gotten to Kosove was an hour away from there. Can't recall the town now, but even in Ulqin the electricity will go out and then of course the water will stop, too. Thank god for generators. I also go to Shkoder & Tuz (my mom's side) and I know what you mean. Katund is right! And yes it is a third world country, but slowly improving.
Btw: congrats Jen, on becoming a MOD. I had no idea.
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif

we didn't we have generators
frown.gif

thanks
smile.gif

i vote to go... it's a part of you and it's an experience that you may or may not have a chance to do again... if my family was from somewhere other than here then i'd jump at the chance to go somewhere else to visit...

Liz, I vote for you to go too! It's only for a short time and think of it as a great adventure and insight into your Mom's growing up years.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back