Toe question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years ago, I took a few dance classes in ballet and jazz. I'm not entirely sure how, but my big toes are now incredibly prone to ingrown toenails. They never were until the dance classes, and now it seems I'm always having problems with it. Any advice? I've been to the podiatrist twice about it, and he just fixes the problem temporarily (they come back in 4-5 months).

The only thing I know about preventing ingrown toenails to make sure you cut your toenails straight across (like a square nail shape) and do not round off the corners -- but if you have been to a podiatrist hopefully he's already told you that!
biggrin.gif

(My doctor was pleasantly surprised to see that I cut my toenails straight when I went in for a different kind of foot problem, he said most people don't!)

I was getting them alot for a while but they seemed to have cleared up(knock on wood) What did I do to get rid of them? Iam not really too sure. One thing that has helped was buying properly fitting shoes and cutting my toenails straight across (like girl_geek said)

The foot doctor told me that usually, once you get them you are prone to getting them indefinitely. The only thing they can do to rid you of it is to freeze your toe and take out the whole nail. This was an option that was not willing to do because the needle they use to freeze you is the most painful thing in the world when it has to be injected into your fingers or toes. Believe it or not, your fingers and toes have more nerve endings than practically anywhere else on your body. Anyway, I've also heard that in some cases when they remove your nail, it never grows back. I didn't believe the nurse when she said that but who am I to argue!...LOL

Try soaking your feet in epsom salts and cleaning the erea very gently and cutting the toe nail straight across and make sure you get all the way across and don't leave any nail pieces digging into the corners, or the skin will keep growing over top of that. That is how it gets infected.

Good luck!

I have a few suggestions for you. Right now I am taking a variety of 6 dance classes and dance about 14-15 hrs a week. I have only had that problem once since dance classes. When I went to see a podiatrist instead of cutting the nail he took a cotton ball and pulled a small piece of the cotton off and rolled it up then at the corner of the toe nail where the ingrown area is he gently tucked the cotton under neath the nail. THen he asked me if I would be able to do that myself I said yes then he said he wanted me to do that until the nail grew the right way (I don't remember how long that took probably over a week). It hurt at first because the area was sore. The idea is that it will be forced to grow the right way and I haven't had any problems since. I have also heard if you cut your nails in a V shape that will help since the middle tip of the nail will have pressure forcing the corners to grow upwards. After its healed you'll want to cut it in a square shape like mentioned by the poster before (sorry I do not recall the posters name
icon_wink.gif
)

Regards,

Annia

I'm not sure how severe yours is, but I danced for a long time(ballet from 4-10, then jazz, african and hiphop for another 8 years) and my toes are just deformed now
icon_evil.gif
It took a long time for my townails to grow even somewhat normal, but because my toes are kinda bent on a curve now, my nails will never grow normally again

Originally Posted by Annia I have also heard if you cut your nails in a V shape that will help since the middle tip of the nail will have pressure forcing the corners to grow upwards. After its healed you'll want to cut it in a square shape like mentioned by the poster before (sorry I do not recall the posters name
icon_wink.gif
) Someone suggested th^at to me when I was a kid and it worked. I now keep them cut straight across and never get them anymore.

Hey,

I have them too...what u can do is get them removed by doctor...they take out the complete nail and then you have to wait for them to grow back. Also, when you cut your nails, don't cut the corners rounded...you have to see esthetician/doctor to get the proper cut...they cut it square like. Also, i suggest you soak your feet in tea tree oil once a week so you it doesn't hurt when you wear shoes and get them removed regularly

Originally Posted by Moneeka Hey,I have them too...what u can do is get them removed by doctor...they take out the complete nail and then you have to wait for them to grow back. Also, when you cut your nails, don't cut the corners rounded...you have to see esthetician/doctor to get the proper cut...they cut it square like. Also, i suggest you soak your feet in tea tree oil once a week so you it doesn't hurt when you wear shoes and get them removed regularly

oh no! they remove the WHOLE nail?!?! does that hurt???
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

I would think so...but they must freeze your toe so you don't feel it! I know this may sound gross but occasionally my baby toe nails fall off because there is a new one growing under but that does not hurt. This may hurt because of the infected area and there is no new toe nail under.

Latest posts

Back