Toni&Guy Hair school Worth it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I Hope this is in the right section if not im sorry.

I was looking to see if anyone here can give me some info about Hair school. One of the Reps From Toni&guy called me today and gave me the lowdown. $16,000.00 Gets me 4 days a week of 8 hour classes per day. For Ten months. They will help me Get what is needed to be state approved to cut hair.

They Cant Guarentee any employment which is nice to hear, Since i got stiffed on my last school who promised me the world. I was told they Can put students in touch with Toni/guy salons,but no placement.

Ever since i told my Mother about this. She has been on my behind about how Hair stylist make no money,and whats the point getting in debt?  She even found a website and printed out how they only make about $24k a year,and then threw it in my face.

I would like to Focus my studies on Extensions,and Emo cuts.

Ive only been Playing around with My hair for about a year now,and I Really Enjoy this.

Anyway back to the question

Is hair school worth going to?

Is $16k too much for Hair school?

Is $24k about correct for a salary of a Hair stylist?

Thanx Ashley

Originally Posted by AshleyE28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, I Hope this is in the right section if not im sorry.

I was looking to see if anyone here can give me some info about Hair school. One of the Reps From Toni&guy called me today and gave me the lowdown. $16,000.00 Gets me 4 days a week of 8 hour classes per day. For Ten months. They will help me Get what is needed to be state approved to cut hair.

They Cant Guarentee any employment which is nice to hear, Since i got stiffed on my last school who promised me the world. I was told they Can put students in touch with Toni/guy salons,but no placement.

Ever since i told my Mother about this. She has been on my behind about how Hair stylist make no money,and whats the point getting in debt?  She even found a website and printed out how they only make about $24k a year,and then threw it in my face.

I would like to Focus my studies on Extensions,and Emo cuts.

Ive only been Playing around with My hair for about a year now,and I Really Enjoy this.

Anyway back to the question

Is hair school worth going to?

Is $16k too much for Hair school?

Is $24k about correct for a salary of a Hair stylist?

Thanx Ashley
Is the school accredited if so you can possibly qualify for student loans or even other financial help. $16,000 for 10 months of education is about right depending on the school. Locally the cosmetologist courses are between $12,000 and $14,000 but these are "no name" schools while T&G are a branded school. No cosmetology school can guarantee work but you can always become a booth renter rather than a hourly employee depending on the salon you end up with. Regards to salary, that too will range depending on the salon - if you rent a booth you will be paying a flat fee to the salon to use space in their salon and typically you will need to have your own clientele; if you are an hour employee you wages may be minimum way; then there are commission salons where you don't earn an hourly fee but earn a commission based on how many people you see. Some stylists earn as little as $24,000 a year and some earn over $100,000 per year depending on a number of factors.

In regards to where you want to focus your training, it doesn't work that way. You will be taught what they want to teach you which is based on the state exams and AFTER you become a licensed cosmetologist you then get further training in what you want to learn.

Yes thats what i meant. After i finish id like to further my studies in Emo and extensions.

A Few months back. i went to 4 different salons all over town and only two of those had a extension person. I Had to wait two weeks just for a chance to see her. She told me if i could master extensions i could make coin.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AshleyE28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes thats what i meant. After i finish id like to further my studies in Emo and extensions.

A Few months back. i went to 4 different salons all over town and only two of those had a extension person. I Had to wait two weeks just for a chance to see her. She told me if i could master extensions i could make coin.
smile.gif
I agree with her, you can since it's a specialized field that there are not more stylists in. Locally I know there are only two salons - out of a few hundred - that offer extensions and those that do don't do a wide range of types and as we both know there isn't just one type of hair as there isn't one type of method to attach to the real hair. On top of hair extensions another thing that is no longer taught and so it's a dying skill is wig making and wefting. I know a few self-taught wig makers who also make some serious money because they do custom wigs for cosplayers. It's so time consuming but it really is a dying art and if you can learn that as well as extensions you will have a very bright and lucrative career.

O wow, reading zadidolls comment and realizing the16 grand is "about right" for education over there makes me apreciate that it only costs 800 euro per year here in Belgium.

It might be because becoming a certified hair stylist requires a different process over here.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck Ashley,... Follow you heart

I'm looking into the programs Overland Park and my advise to you would be to turn to a reliable source of information such as www.bls.gov. It's a government website that will give you information about a career in particular, the likely job prospects, what your wages will be like etc. About finding the right college, I'd tell you to do your research well. Check out programs offered at different schools, compare them and then make a decision.

You do your research. First, it’s important to make sure the school is accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Then you take a look at their course structure and student services. You want to make sure the student help along every step of the way. Most distinguished beauty schools like the Marinello beauty school in Santa Clara, offer career services and internship programs to their students as well. If you want to find out about the reputation of a school, try to find some student reviews, but remember to take it all with a pinch of salt. 

Latest posts

Back